Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

solly signs jenkinson declines

Comments

• Options
    AFKA........that was exactly my point regarding the young talent CAFC has coming through. The 'development fee' needs to be meaningful. It seems that the supposed big Clubs don't red Academies as they have the pick from all the other Clubs young players. I think it's a disgrace.
  • Options
    shame losing the lad he is gonna become a very good player for someone .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite] In fairness, if he isn't going to be here next season I see no reason at all to continue to let him through the door at Sparrows lane, why on earth should our money be paying for his development any longer. Let him begin his new career today.
    His contract/contstructive dismissal and the chance that we need him to play for us.

Really sad about this news. Wish the contract had been agreed earlier - at least if he'd knocked it back earlier he could have been frozen out of the team.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yes I agree - It is so easy to tap up a player and so difficult to prove. Make no bones about it Jenkinson will have been tipped off that a bigger club will be coming in for him. The league should look at development fee as a deterrent - maybe the initial payement could be small but if the player turns out to be a star - X appearances/internationals it should go up significantly to the point that it would have been cheaper to buy him properley. The driver should be that the developing club wants to keep the player and offeres a more favourable contract (as is now the case) in keeping with the staure/status of that club. Of course a premiership can offer much more money but that isn't fair. The alternative is that smaller clubs will give up trying to develop their own talent.
  • Options
    Just seen this and reprinted below-:
    CARL Jenkinson had agreed to sign a contract extension at Charlton before he performed a U-turn this week and rejected the new terms on offer.
    The Addicks confirmed yesterday that the 19-year-old right-back will leave in the summer - although they will still received compensation because he is under the age of 24.
    Arsenal, West Ham and Fulham have all shown an interest in Jenkinson - who was handed his big break by Chris Powell shortly after he was appointed boss.
    And the Charlton manager thought that the Finnish U19 international was on the verge of signing an extension to stay at The Valley after talks had progressed well.
    Powell said: “I know that Carl’s advisors and father were in discussions with the club and I was led to believe it was agreed.
    “Now there has been a U-turn. It’s a real shame because he is a lad who has been with us since nine years of age and he’d played one first-team game before I came in.
    “I’m extremely disappointed. He’s a player I quickly identified would be key to building into my future team and squad.
    “I’ve got to say he’s been first class. He came into the side and he’s been everything that I wanted and more.
    “He was keen to sign but it seems that the lad has had some outside influence and been pressed not to sign.”

Don't miss tomorrow's South London Press for the full story.

So it looked as though he agreed and oustide influences changed his mind.....thanks for the loyalty!
  • Options
    Yes, outside influence- excatly - we will know who it is when we see who he signs for. The authorities are a joke as they let this theft happen.
  • Options
    Does he go on a free transfer?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]

And why is everyone so happy about JJ's move to Liverpool...? He was given an improved contract too, not to keep him at the club but so Charlton could score off him leaving, kid was treated like a piece of meat...

He wasn't treated like a piece of meat he was always treated well by Charlton and that was the reason he signed a contract, he knew by doing so it would enable Charlton to have a stronger hand when it came to transfer talks, and so giving them back a little of what they had given him through the years.
  • Options
    Luckily he didnt listen to his uncle. ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Luckily he didnt listen to his uncle. ;-)

Or you!! he would have spent most of his life being off-side ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    so Jenkinson wanted to sign but in the end was swayed by other influences including his parents no doubt. Not such the little so and so most of you have been making him out to be.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    exactly large - too many people calling a 19 year old kid a prick etc yet dont know the full story.

keyboard warriors that wouldnt have the bottle to call someone a prick in the flesh. muggy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]so Jenkinson wanted to sign but in the end was swayed by other influences including his parents no doubt. Not such the little so and so most of you have been making him out to be.

But Large the lad is 19 not 9. I am fed up of people making excuses saying so and so listened to their agent or so and so did it because their parents told you to.

He is an adult and can do what he wants. He is big enough and ugly enough to know what goes on and what's right and wrong and has seen the likes of Shelvey conduct themselves in an impeccable manner. If he comes back to The Valley in however many years and I hope he does, Shelvey would get a fantastic reception.

If his agent is exerting uncomfortable pressure then dump the agent, they are ten a penny. The players hold ALL the cards.

At 19 you can vote, join the army, drink, drive, get married etc. So why do we seemingly understand and make exceptions for a lad following blindly what others tell them?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]exactly large - too many people calling a 19 year old kid a prick etc yet dont know the full story.

keyboard warriors that wouldnt have the bottle to call someone a prick in the flesh. muggy.

I agree, I won't be calling him obscenities as I do not know the situation.

What I will do is articulate my disappoint on the basis of what I do know.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]so Jenkinson wanted to sign but in the end was swayed by other influences including his parents no doubt. Not such the little so and so most of you have been making him out to be.

But Large the lad is 19 not 9. I am fed up of people making excuses saying so and so listened to their agent or so and so did it because their parents told you to.

He is an adult and can do what he wants. He is big enough and ugly enough to know what goes on and what's right and wrong and has seen the likes of Shelvey conduct themselves in an impeccable manner. If he comes back to The Valley in however many years and I hope he does, Shelvey would get a fantastic reception.

If his agent is exerting uncomfortable pressure then dump the agent, they are ten a penny. The players hold ALL the cards.

At 19 you can vote, join the army, drink, drive, get married etc. So why do we seemingly understand and make exceptions for a lad following blindly what others tell them?

so let's say he's made a mistake. Thinking back, at that sort of age did you not make a mistake that you may have later regretted ? Or later realised was the wrong decision ?
    What you say is true, he's 19, can drink, vote, drive, marry etc but that's oh so simplistic a view. He's still young and would be swayed by advice by those older and supposedly wiser than him.
  • Options

Is there an age at which you stop discussing things with your family and ask for their advice? Some seemed to have jumped to an absurd conclusion that he is moving on just because his parents have told him and we cannot possibly know that. They could've been thinking about this for weeks and weighing up the pros and cons of staying at Charlton or moving to a Premiership team. And if you ask me, it wouldn't take long to decide that the move to the Premiership team would be the sensible choice.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

so let's say he's made a mistake. Thinking back, at that sort of age did you not make a mistake that you may have later regretted ? Or later realised was the wrong decision ?
    What you say is true, he's 19, can drink, vote, drive, marry etc but that's oh so simplistic a view. He's still young and would be swayed by advice by those older and supposedly wiser than him.

Luckily for me it isn't such a long time to think back ;-)

I probably did make mistakes yes, on reflection, however, given that I am still living under the consequences of some of the mid to long-term decisions I had to make at that age, I would say those I did make have served me well. The mistakes I made did not concern serious matters like career, future etc.

I just can't understand how a 19 year old gets his vision tunnelled by those as you correctly say are "older and supposedly wiser". Parents and representatives are there to weigh up the options, bring to the table considerations you may have overlooked or overemphasised. They are not there to make your decisions for you. It's a shame that the modern footballer's "I want it now" mentality delegates to that extent.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]

Is there an age at which you stop discussing things with your family and ask for their advice?

No I don't think there is, I know I still do, but I also know that my final decision is one that I'm happy with and one that I want
  • Options

and he's also old enough to realise that when teams like West Ham, Fulham, Arsenal and apparently Man Utd show interest in you when your playing at a lower standard you take the opportunity presented to you.

People comparing this situation to the parker one is laughable. We were 4th in the Prem at the time when Parker mugged us off, we are 14th in L1 now and still look like an outfit in decline.

Personally think the kids got his head screwed on.
  • Options
    With ISaw on his last few posts

Never fails to surprise me the amount of 'fans' who always take the opposite view when its our club on the receiving end.

Club can never do right to some, and will always defend the kid who s**ts on us, the opposing manager who calls fans w***ers and gives out hand gestures, the ref who gives the dodgy call against us etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gary I agree... this is totally different to Parker

My opinion - Yes it is a no-brainer, we are marooned here in this sorry division... do you swap that for the PL - the facilities, the coaching, the exposure, the opportunity... of course you do - But you look after those that have looked after you first. End of.

My disappointment is not due to him leaving, it is the manner of his departure.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]With ISaw on his last few posts

Never fails to surprise me the amount of 'fans' who always take the opposite view when its our club on the receiving end.

Club can never do right to some, and will always defend the kid who s**ts on us, the opposing manager who calls fans w***ers and gives out hand gestures, the ref who gives the dodgy call against us etc

AFKA, do you think you would act differently to how CJ has acted if the carrot was dangled infront of you?

We dont know how the kid has processed his thinking behind the decision. Perhaps he is thankful of how the club has brought his development on.

If a decent top tier club is offering you a way out of this kick bollock and bite league, then surely you have to take it?
  • Options
    At the end of the day, if these clubs want him then they will still want him if he's signed a contract. No one is saying its wrong to want to go on to a bigger club, but you can do so and help the club thats helped you. That way everyone is happy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]My disappointment is not due to him leaving, it is the manner of his departure.

i dont know what he could have done differently?....english youngsters get priced out of moves so easily, probably why managers tend to look overseas. Would charlton have done that to jenkinson..probably not...but if he's at the end of his contract then would you really take the gamble in finding out?
  • Options
    That would be the honourable thing to do - surely.
  • Options
    Maybe his new employers can teach him how to play an off side trap?! His part in Tranmere's goal was embarrassing!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]would you really take the gamble in finding out?

Yes I would.

As uncle says if you are good enough you get taken, regardless of being under contract or not.

People forget just how much time he has - he isn't 20 until next February... he could still have signed the contract and been gone by his 20th birthday
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]AFKA, do you think you would act differently to how CJ has acted if the carrot was dangled infront of you?

Yes, i genuinely do mainly because i think my overriding interest at that age would be about wanting to play games and develop. And you can go to the biggest club in the land and do training sessions with the best coaches, nothing makes you learn and develop match than actual intense, 1st team action.

He's just broke into the first team of a League 1 club, he is a full back and has an ex-England international full back as his manager, who right from outset has put faith in him during a time other rookie managers would look for experience, and says he wants to make a big part of his plans.

Get 30-50 first team games under your belt next season, then if things are going well then see what interest there is.

If he moves to a prem club now he'll revert to 1-2 years training, occassional behind doors friendly and the odd loan spell.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]He wasn't treated like a piece of meat he was always treated well by Charlton and that was the reason he signed a contract, he knew by doing so it would enable Charlton to have a stronger hand when it came to transfer talks, and so giving them back a little of what they had given him through the years.
    As soon as Liverpool came sniffing around JJ was wrapped up in cotton wool and shoved in the back of the freezer, we never saw him again...
  • Options
    fair enough.

I can see why the club, powell and the fans are disappointed but i wont be holding it against jenkinson at all. He's a kid that just wants to play at the top level, pressured by those around him to get there as quick as he can.

parker can be called a c**t....jenkinson nowhere near.