Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

solly signs jenkinson declines

Comments

• Options
    further to the above - this really shows what a good lad Jonjo was - didn't think we treated him well last year and did not get the best out of him after he signed his contract but I will always follow his career and really hope he goes on to great things because he looked after us after we had looked after him. Well done Jonjo-a dying breed.
  • Options
    Is he really all that?
    He's been one of very few positives in a couple of very poor months, but perhaps he wouldn't have got such rave reviews if the other 10 in the team had been performing to the expected standard.

Disappointed with his decision, but can see why in his position he might have had his head turned.
    On the other hand, he might find the fans wherever he goes slightly less forgiving as he has not come through their ranks.
  • Options
    Oh FFS completely forgot about us sponsoring him. Where's ravi? Bet he's sick of speaking to us.

Had the pleasure of listening to Carl at his first Q&A. Kept nodding along with everything he said as so obvious he was very shy and nervous. Even said well done to him at the end as could see his relief.

Well hear this Carl..... here's a great big fat raspberry to you. Meh
  • Options
    Sounds like Jenkinson mat have been offered another job with perhaps better money and better prospects? As disappointed as CAFC and fans may be we would all have made the same decsision?
    Most Clubs are selling Clubs and CAFC is no different. In a way it's a shame we could't hang on to him for longer, develop him further and get more money for him?
    I heard there's a good crop of 17/18 year olds coming through
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Man_About_Town[/cite]Most Clubs are selling Clubs and CAFC is no different.

I think the main problem stems from the fact we won't be "selling" him.

All of us can accept that any good thing we unearth will be lured away at the beck and call of those above us.

The rub is that not many can accept a lad overlooking 11 years and not making a very easy decision that would see us rewarded for his development.
  • Options
    Very disappointing, think there is real potential there and i reckon he will go on to play at a decent level. We've been screwed over here dont think otherwise for a second. That said, Solly is a good little player and is obviously committed to this club - lets all just pray he gets a run and we dont see Francis near the first team again.
  • Options
    I've tried to be non-judgemental and totally failed on this one. It's about ordinary supporters whose money and effort has supported him for 11 years, be it though tickets, merchandise, young POTY votes, Valley Gold, shirt sponsorship or just sending him encouraging Tweets. Of course we wanted a little bit of something back, that's not unreasonable. Just staying for another year would have at least allowed us to recoup some extra money and help to foster a climate that encourages clubs and supporters to continue with their Academies for the benefit of both club and future young players. It remains my view that the kid has no class and I don't want to see him again at the club.
  • Options
    he's a kid. Did he make this decision alone ? No. Would he have taken advice from his parents ? Yes. Would he have listened to his parents ? Yes. Would he have taken their advice ? Yes. I blame the parents.
  • Options
    According to the Mail Man Utd are now looking at him.
  • Options
    I just saw this and was gutted instantly. Thought he'd done well and looked a prospect for the future. I REALLY didnt think and/or realise that top clubs were snooping around. I don't know how to feel about him and I think I will only accept his decision if he manages to join a prem club. Not that my opinion even matters..

IMO, don't even put him near the squad. He will only hold us back until he moves. An extra 2k isnt worth it.

On a side note: Very impressed by Slater, so far.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree RTF wouldn't even have him in the squad and Slater has said all the right things imo very positive view on him.
  • Options
    Average player, no great shakes. Anyway, a full back, 2 a penny. Unless he's an Ashley Cole let's move on. Little Tosser....
  • Options
    Not a good as people were making out but did show enough to suggest he will be an excellent player. as a valley gold member, he was happy to use our money in his development but then kick the fans in the teeth. If he stayed with us like Shelvey he would havew got his move. Shelvey will get applause whenever he comes down here -Jenkinson will get boos.
  • Options
    lets face it since parker shelveys been the only class act to come thru the academy
    the rest of em two a penny nobody's , lower tier journeymen if they're lucky, who we're desperate to be great
  • Options
    He stayed longer than Shelvey did. He's nearly 20 isn't he. And that is not a dig at JJ who did the right thing

We didn't\couldn't offer him a bigger or longer contract last year so now it is running out. He's stayed up till the end of his agreed time but said he wants to move on.

I am disappointed but more that we as a Club aren't attractive enough to hold onto decent players with 7 games under their belts. Another reason we need to start climbing the divisions again.

We'll still get a development fee. Won't be much but it all helps.

More pissed off about the Shirt sponsorship. Need to re-think for next season if we do it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

More pissed off about the Shirt sponsorship. Need to re-think for next season if we do it.

i was gonna suggest doing the management but they're not guaranteed to be here come the end of the season
    how about sponsoring the south stand
  • Options
    good luck to him.
    would've preferred him to stay rather than solly as i think sollys (lack of) height will be a burden on him and centre halfs next to him.

is this a good time to send a letter about valley gold?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Man_About_Town[/cite]
    I heard there's a good crop of 17/18 year olds coming through

And what if they all decide, its ok, thanks for the last 8-10 years development, we're off ??

As said, big clubs can literally snatch who they like because they know the development fee is going to be a risk worth taking. And it won't stop at the big clubs, it will start trickling down to Championship clubs doing it as well.

Unless the development fee becomes something that clubs have to think twice about, clubs like Charlton may start to think what's the point, that £500k we spend on the academy could pay the wages of 4 players in our first team squad.

7 games. That's all we get for 11yrs development. Here is a kid in his teens who would have been offered between £100k-£150k a year and a chance to regular play at league 1 level to put some proper foundations to his playing career, and if he has confidence in his ability allow the club that has developed him to get a fair reward. Its not exactly as if we have a history of making it difficult for youngsters to progress, is it?

Not only would i not let him in the building again, i'd go round his house and ask for all the training gear back.

Hope whatever move he has turns out to be as successful as John Bostock.
  • Options
    Hell hath no fury like charlton fans scorned!!!!
  • Options
    He's just not that good cant cross for toffee, came in and played ok for a few games was the only positive so a few bigged him up.

I dont think he'll ever be premier league material though and i cant believe the teams being linked

No great loss and if he walks away and shows not gratitude then did we really want him here anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]lets face it since parker shelveys been the only class act to come thru the academy
    the rest of em two a penny nobody's , lower tier journeymen if they're lucky, who we're desperate to be great

I agree with you. That Randolph was a nobody, glad you can see it at last.

Thank god for Worner I say : - )
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

i was gonna suggest doing the management but they're not guaranteed to be here come the end of the season
    how about sponsoring the south stand

T-Mobile sponsor it already.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Hell hath no fury like charlton fans scorned!!!!

LOL

PS Kap I owe you an email about that work thing. Will do today.
  • Options
    Have to agree with Red Zed's comments on the other page, we all want to jump on players ready to leave us and call it disloyal but what about those youngsters we are happy to discard when we think they aren't good enough? I will be disappointed if he leaves but I won't lose any sleep over it, yes he has looked decent but how can you judge anyone over such few games?

It's the way of football now and the sooner we all accept that everyone but the fans sees it as a business now the less bitching we will all be doing on here. Might as well shut the site down if that ever happens.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]
    but what about those youngsters we are happy to discard when we think they aren't good enough?

they've been given the best training and opportunity to make it as pros but have fallen short of the required grade. They have also been given schooling which will help them in the situation where they don't make it in football. I know in these instances, the club also do whatever they can to help the youngsters find another club, trial matches etc to try to help them remain within the game.
  • Options
    He owes us we dont owe him a thng -----7 games ------7 games after all the years of developing him etc etc.

he should sign for one more season and if we are still in the league then he should look elsewhere.

Dont want to see the ungratefull knob in our colours again----------------go play with the Gooners
  • Options
    Football is always a little different in terms of moving jobs. In my job I don't have 15,000 people cheering for me every week.

Been impressed with him when he's played, but I don't think he has the potential to be playing for Arsenal/Utd who will just go out and buy someone better. Could see him ending up in a situation like Matt Fry's, being loaned out to L1 clubs for a couple of seasons.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Have to agree with Red Zed's comments on the other page, we all want to jump on players ready to leave us and call it disloyal but what about those youngsters we are happy to discard when we think they aren't good enough? I will be disappointed if he leaves but I won't lose any sleep over it, yes he has looked decent but how can you judge anyone over such few games?

It's the way of football now and the sooner we all accept that everyone but the fans sees it as a business now the less bitching we will all be doing on here. Might as well shut the site down if that ever happens.

We don't discard them any more than does for e.g. a University when a student doesn't get awarded a degree at the end of their studies. Some succeed, some don't, that's a known risk anyone has to take when trying out something new.
  • Options
    I think the problem is the poxy development fee we're going to receive. I doubt as many of us would be complaining if we got 11 years * 250k for him. That would certainly put off a few Premiership clubs taking gambles on these English youngsters in an effort to boost their home grown quota.
  • Options
    If Parret was to say he likes it at Charlton and wants to stay permanent and stuck two fingers up at Spurs would you slag him off like you are Jenkinson...?

And why is everyone so happy about JJ's move to Liverpool...? He was given an improved contract too, not to keep him at the club but so Charlton could score off him leaving, kid was treated like a piece of meat...

Jenknson's been at the club for a long time, he's watched what goes on, whats happened to his mates, fellow professionals, club officials and workers etc., can't blame him one little bit...

End of contract, free to make his own choice, end of...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]If Parret was to say he likes it at Charlton and wants to stay permanent and stuck two fingers up at Spurs would you slag him off like you are Jenkinson...?

No I would says he has lost the plot