Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

solly signs jenkinson declines

Comments

• Options
    I don't want to see him play again. If he is not interested in our club then he can stick it - I want players that WANT to be here. Do one Jenks....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Couldn't' care less to be honest, happier that Solly is staying who I think will be more valuable to us as a team player

This...
  • Options
    When at a time that the club needs commitment and good news, we are told that one of our up and coming players wants to go. Well, let him go.
    Let's get in someone who wants to be a Charlton player and not someone who wants to play for us just because we pay good wages!
  • Options
    No one seems to have mentioned the relative offers. There were suggesting that Shelvey was earning £10k a week for us. Well, if it was one tenth of that then he was more than able to bide his time while he was waiting for a chance to move to a big club.

For all we know we have offered him a one year deal on £300 a week and Arsenal (via his agent) have indicated that they will give him a three year deal on £2,000 a week. Clearly I'm making these figures up, but they do put a completely different spin on it.

As far as him not getting in Arsenal's first team? He has been behind Simon Francis this season, and Chris Solly is thought of being better than both of them, so you could be considering Arsenal youth/reserve or Charlton reserves.

I do think, though, that he is more than entitled to source the best financial package, and it's unfair of us to criticise the 19 year old without all the facts.

I agree with Henry, I wouldn't be surprised if we agree a contract a little way down the road.
  • Options
    average player who's head has clearly been 'turned' by someone, agent etc....someone has told him he's better than he actually is.

be interested to see who he signs for but certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him lining up against us next season (even if it is on a season long loan to a L1 club)
  • Options
    It's shameful how posters here are backing the little pratt.
    Grow a pair!

He has kicked us and more so, Powell, in the teeth.
    He was very much a part of Powell's team going into next year. CP played him so often that he even played him out of position, yet In the middle of a terrible run this kid gets a little attention and thinks he is bigger than us and left Powell without one of our better players in recent weeks.

Well lets see how well his development continues when he is on the bench for his new club he must have lined up.
  • Options
    Let's get the "Jenkinson for Finland" campaign going... if we can get him an Under-21 cap before his contract ends his compo might rocket!

I want t-shirts, commemorative crockery, contact details of JJ, Niemi and the Finnish embassy... oh and Kimi Raikkonen - can't do any harm!
  • Options
    That he has now played a few games in the first team is a good thing and if he plays more even better.

Why? Because the compensation for a 19 YO whose played more games should be higher than one whose played none. Maybe just a few pennies but it all helps.
  • Options
    Slater is very clinical with his words. He's quite interesting to listen to.
  • Options
    If he's off I would rather we play Solly to give him some much needed experience and game time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: mendonca[/cite]Slater is very clinical with his words. He's quite interesting to listen to.

Does he repeat things two or even three times?

: - )
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Wont boo but as he is a Gooner i reserve the right to take my petrol can !!

sad thing is wasnt a good few saying/thinking "put the kids in once we are safe and lets see how they do" ? why play this guy if we wants to show boat himself for his own pocket and to get to another club ?[/quote]

I was one of the idiots saying 'blood the kids' its my fault Jenks is leaving sorry folks... :)

Look where that got us!

No seriously why do people rate Solly as a better player? or are they saying that cos he's signed a contract , what is he better at then Jenks at , tackling, crossing , i don't know?

I was gutted to hearing he's going , as he has been a bright spark during a dark peiod for the club , but he's only played a hand ful of games , i can't see him changing his mind now, shame, makes you wonder if we rated him that highly why we didn't sign him up on a long term deal? i suspect he was always going to walk out on us?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]makes you wonder if we rated him that highly why we didn't sign him up on a long term deal? i suspect he was always going to walk out on us?
    I think he's probably pushed on more than expected. Solly was also ahead of him but got injured so Jenkinson got a chance.

About a year ago he was on loan at Welling and as far as I know wasn't outstanding for them.

Then first half of this season was at Eastbourne, did well and we recalled him.

Recently he's shown he could step up two more divisions.

Can kind of understand why we weren't handing out 2 year deals to the youngsters. Mambo also went to Eastbourne but hasn't pushed on like Jenkinson did. Now finances are less of an issue we'll probably see some younger players get longer deals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mendonca[/cite]Slater is very clinical with his words. He's quite interesting to listen to.

Does he repeat things two or even three times?

: - )

LOL

Little things do please my little mind
  • Options
    How good is Harriott? is his contract up , could he cut it in the 1st team?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]How good is Harriott? is his contract up , could he cut it in the 1st team?
    In about 4 years time ! .I think the lad is a bit young for that role just yet.
  • Options
    Far from the finished article.

Has been latched onto because of our poor form.

Shame that he's off but doubt it will be another Defoe situation.
  • Options
    Anyone that says they wouldn't leave their present job for better pay, better prospects and a better lifestyle is either a liar or completely void of personal ambition...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jenkinson is a very good young player brought through the Charlton system. Miles head of Solly in my opinion and one bright light in a very gloomy season.
    Very disappointed and worried that he does not see any future at the club that nurtured him.
    This is a failure on the part of the new owners. Failing to inspire our young talent.
    Having said that, well done to CP for dropping him. No alternative with a disloyal and arrogant little tosser.
    We need "do or die" not "egos with agents".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: grumpyaddick[/cite]This is a failure on the part of the new owners. Failing to inspire our young talent.

I have to say that is pretty harsh... what are we meant to do? Chain him to the fence at Sparrows Lane?

Players rule football. Everyone else dances to their tune no matter who you are or how much clout you have got. Look at Rooney stitching up MUFC.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite][No seriously why do people rate Solly as a better player? or are they saying that cos he's signed a contract , what is he better at then Jenks at , tackling, crossing , i don't know?

From the little I've seen of the two in first team action I'd say that Solly looks like the better right back, just seems a bit more neat and tidy and offers more going forward. Jenkinson seems a bit more solid so could well be a decent centre back when he physically develops.
  • Options
    Solly is class, I have said it for 3 years and stand by it.
  • Options
    The game stinks, and this stinks.

Very disappointed. Will come a time there will be a void of standard players emerging in this country if everone bar the topleague decide what's the point of having youth schemes.

Shite way of repaying the hand that's fed him, and makes you realise what a class act Jonjo was.

We really pushed to have Jenkinson available for sponsorship because we collectively wanted to show our support for a young player coming through the ranks.

Wished we'd never bothered.
  • Options
    If he wants to go fine. Happy for 'all' players that want to leave to go. only want players on the pitch that respect the club and want to be here.
  • Options
    This is rather like the Anthony Barness / Scott Minto situation.
  • Options
    Several young players had their contracts extended today, the rest were told to do one, what about loyalty to these young men that have dedicated their lives to Charlton, cast off like pieces of rotten meat...
  • Options
    That's fine he can go. Forget him and move on - he might not ever make it and end up non-league.

I'd rather get an established right back to win promotion next season and use Solly as backup. Once promoted, he will be forgotten.
  • Options
    Really glad about Solly signing up i think he is a class act and will do very well if he can stay injury free. Likewise I have very high hopes for Cousins from what I have read (only seen him play in the friendlies and he looked good), so therefore we have good cover.

Despite the reports I would be amazed if Jenkinson went to Arsenal, he has talent but not in that league (at least yet). I will reserve judgement until I know where he goes...if he ends up at United or Arsenal I will still feel aggrieved at him leaving us without any real loyalty or pay back for the years of development we gave him but will I guess understand the decision, if like Josh Wright he ends up at some tin pot Championship club or a Wigan/Bolton type then I will be more angry.

I am not going to particularly wish him well or follow his career if he leaves, he got his chance with us, he took it and he pissed off.

I see other people saying about our loyalty to players we have released - this is rubbish IMO - we gave them the chance and opportunity to progress, trained and developed them to hopefully reach their maximum potential, if that is BSP then good luck to them - why would we keep them to never play them (bit like Arsenal buying Jenkinson and never playing him...)