Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

solly signs jenkinson declines

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Last week, I handed in my notice to my company who I joined straight out of uni and gave me my first opportunity in marketing. They paid for my professional qualifications to the tunes of thousands and I've been to Barcelona and Prague with them as well as enjoying a range of privileges. I owe them a lot.
    How long have you been with them since you got your professional qualifications WSS?
    Fully qualified 2 years ago but they pay every year for subscription.
  • Options
    I think we all know the answer to that WSS.
  • Options
    Thought you'd pipe up.
  • Options
    Scenerio 1 he is young and knows football is a business that 1 injury can change your life, look at Ramsey and Eduardo if that type of injury happend to a 3rd division young pro his time is up in football to achieve his personal best

Scenerio 2 he signs shows loyalty and the club that has shown an interest is put off the fee, the player gets the hump goes sulky doesnt do his best and ends up burning both bridges and is whispered about in circles ala John Bostock as a problem

Scenerio 3 he doesnt sign pisses off the fans of a 3rd division club joins a bigger club on a long therm deal for more money who in turn shafts the 3rd div club for compo but that aint his concern, he gets loaned out to a club higher than div 3 learns his trade goes on to better things at his parent club ala defoe, and dont give a shit about the feelings of his old club and fans, becomes rich beyond his wildest imagination and him and his kids wont ever have to worry about anything again.

Scenerio 4 he signs does really well doesnt get injured the club goes as far as it can sells hgim for mega bucks in 2 years time and he ends up reveared and loved by many who all wish him well ala jonjo shelvey

1, 2, 3, speak volumes about personality and charecter

4 speaks more about the upbringing and the morality of the individual, being proffesional wanting to succeed via hard work and honesty even if some people still want to criticise and moan that the player was over rated but it also says that they want to be a footballer more than rich.

fuk him off we have too many of these types within the club good luck adios goodbye
  • Options
    The young man makes his own decisions and stands or falls by them. That is his right. I on the other hand pay via tickets and Valley Gold for players like him to get their chance and that's what it is a chance. Those good enough reap the rewards and those not sadly get discarded but they did get the chance. He wants out. Fine. But I don't want a penny more of my/our/Charltons money spent on him. Let's get that penny spent on the next young man lucky enough to get the chance. Thankyou Carl can you please close the door on your way out.
  • Options
    God some of the stuff on here makes me wonder. Half of you hadn't even heard of him two months ago. If he had left ala McGinty you'd all be saying 'well, we'd never know if he was going to be any good anyway'. Some are still slating him whilst also saying he isn't that good anyway. For me he's been the one bright spark this season. Yes, it's a shame he's going and yes it's a shame he didn't sign a contract to get us a bigger fee but maybe we should have sorted him out one earlier before he caught the attention of other clubs. Maybe he thinks 'if I sign will the club interested in signing me pay a fee, maybe I won't get the move I want'. Of course he won't walk into the first team at Utd or Arsenal etc but who can blame him for taking that opportunity.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Last week, I handed in my notice to my company who I joined straight out of uni and gave me my first opportunity in marketing. They paid for my professional qualifications to the tunes of thousands and I've been to Barcelona and Prague with them as well as enjoying a range of privileges. I owe them a lot.
    How long have you been with them since you got your professional qualifications WSS?
    Fully qualified 2 years ago but they pay every year for subscription.

But your company have reaped years of work from you, where as Jenkinson has only made a few 'real' appearances.
    If you'd gone the second you were qualified then I would have said you were a c*nt.
    I'm not as fuming as some fans about this but he can't expect to get a pat on the back out the door.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Last week, I handed in my notice to my company who I joined straight out of uni (7 years ago) and gave me my first opportunity in marketing. They paid for my professional qualifications to the tunes of thousands and I've been to Barcelona and Prague with them as well as enjoying a range of privileges. I owe them a lot.

That being said, I was offered an opportunity, which I believe to be better for my career. Of course there are no guarantees this will be the case - I may indeed fall flat on my face and regret it but I'd be foolish not to take the chance. True story.

Am I a c*nt?

Depends on the opportunities (or not) for career progression within the organisation. Professional firms don't keep every person that qualifies with them so some "wastage" (as they would call it) is expected and budgeted for. If your existing firm failed to meet your professional aspirations they would probably wonder what was wrong if you didn't move on.

The Jenkinson scenario is rather different in that he is still learning his trade, albeit that he has just broken into our first team, and is working with a manager and coach who played for England as a full back, his position.

He is going to have to go some to better what we currently have to offer him in terms of career development and indeed only someone like Arsenal would really fulfil that in my view.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Last week, I handed in my notice to my company who I joined straight out of uni (7 years ago) and gave me my first opportunity in marketing. They paid for my professional qualifications to the tunes of thousands and I've been to Barcelona and Prague with them as well as enjoying a range of privileges. I owe them a lot.

That being said, I was offered an opportunity, which I believe to be better for my career. Of course there are no guarantees this will be the case - I may indeed fall flat on my face and regret it but I'd be foolish not to take the chance. True story.

Am I a c*nt?

Of course your not, and neither is Jenkinson... He's rightly putting himself first...
    If he was contracted and the club could profit from him, they probably would, and they wouldn't see hin as anything other than a saleable asset, and on the other hand, if they thought he wouldn't make the grade, he would be shown the door..
    Also If the club really believed in him he would have got a longer contract, and they could have cashed him in...
  • Options

Am I a c*nt?

I'll boo you.

It's a shame (Jenks that is not WSS) but ask Morris or Hall or any of the other kids we've let go about loyalty. Think about the players who some of us have been quite happy to say we should dump/drop the deadwood/never play for us again. Where's the loyalty there?

I'll wish him well if for no other reason that that will mean a bigger development fee for Charlton and that it will increase the reputation of the academy.

I would be surprised if it is Arsenal. I still think that was a story planted by his agent to "encourage" us and other clubs to offer him more and soon. Maybe it worked.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a "change of heart" either but that is just a guess.

I preferred Solly anyway and still do. Very happy with that bit of business.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well I suppose if you call 15,000 comments on an internet forum work....

;-)
  • Options
    some of the stick he's getting is outrageous on here.

his contract runs out at the end of the season and he thinks he can play at a higher level. thats football and i think good on him for wanting to better himself...someones waved a carrott infront of the kid and he's took it.

anyone that honestly thinks they would act any different, and im talking in football terms here, is talking out their arse.

its disappointing and maybe the laws should be changed to clubs like us are better rewarded for nurturing young talent....but calling the kid 'a little prick' is way over the top.
  • Options
    ive seen both play this season... and i prefer Solly by a long mile.

i dont think Jenk has an official charlton win under his belt yet... everybody on the forums rave about him for some reason. yea hes athletic and young which looks like something we were missing in our defensive back4, but he is one footed and positioning is poor.

Jenk will grow into a good player, but im MUCH happier with Solly signing on..
  • Options
    i think solly is a better player than jenkinson anyway, so im happier that he's signed, just as long as he can stay injury free
  • Options
    football is emotional we love players that play for our club we retain fondness of those that leave in the right way and hatred for those that dont and nothingness for those that breeze in and out

call him what you want he wont care and neither should anyone on here

its football, its business, its life
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]some of the stick he's getting is outrageous on here.

his contract runs out at the end of the season and he thinks he can play at a higher level. thats football and i think good on him for wanting to better himself...someones waved a carrott infront of the kid and he's took it.

anyone that honestly thinks they would act any different, and im talking in football terms here, is talking out their arse.

its disappointing and maybe the laws should be changed to clubs like us are better rewarded for nurturing young talent....but calling the kid 'a little prick' is way over the top.

Agree

If we sign a young player from another, smaller club (there are still a few of those) is he a prick or ambitious and keen to play for a bigger club?
  • Options
    I would add that I think much of the hype around Jenkinson is that he came into a team that largely looked like they didn't give a toss, and so the fact that he put in a bit of effort made him look like a much better player, in some fans eyes.
  • Options
    I agree with you Large, but it is very disappointing. As supporters, we can't help clinging to the fantasy that (some) players love the club just like we do. They don't. The world of football would, IMO, be much better if more of them did.
  • Options
    dont worry about what people want to call him, its up to them no right no wrong he wont care .

you get emotional comments on emotive issues i am sure that if he walked past them in the street they would not say it to him.
  • Options
    I'm disappointed that Jenkinson has decided that his career is better served else where.

On the one hand, who can blame him. If there is a chance of playing for a Premier league team or the team you supported as a boy instead of league one, most kids at that age are going to want to train, develop and have the opportunity to play for a top club with first class coaches, facilities and international players. Football is only a short career and I suppose footballers these days try and get most out of the game financially to make themselves financially secure after the game.

On the other hand, Jenkinson has only played a handful of first team games, and was only recently plying his trade on loan for a conference or non-league team. Did our coaches not see something earlier in his development or this season which could have highlighted that he could have been the future of Charlton? I know that most football club boards now tend to wait to the end of the season before sorting out contracts so that they know what budgets they are playing with for the following season. But it frustrates fans from the lower reaches seeing the youngsters getting snapped up for peanuts. Jenkinson has been sewed the seeds of doubt ever since this sepculation came about in the last few weeks. I'm sure if it weren't for the 'speculation' that he may have signed a new contract.

However, at least we have potentially an even better player for the future in Jordan Cousins, who has shown loyalty to the club that has nurtured him. In addition to that, Solly is more than adequate to step up to the plate, as he did last night by all accounts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Couldn't' care less to be honest, happier that Solly is staying who I think will be more valuable to us as a team player
  • Options
    Dissapointed.

Agree that we could cut him adrift if that is his decision - let's waste no more time improving someone else's prospect.....

Glad to hear about Solly btw...
  • Options
    Completely agree with mart77 - we were desperate for something positive, so latched on to him.
    The frustrating thing will be that if he does actually make it, someone else will get the credit. I got sick of hearing Defoe described as 'another product of the extraordinary West Ham youth system' etc.
  • Options
    Delighted we've got Solly for two. Dissapointed about Jenks but good luck to him in the future.
  • Options
    May not be money driven at all. We don't know. Decent prospect but not premier class. He's hardly Billy Bonds (sob). We'll get a few bob for him.
    Plus we'll use him at left back again this season if Bessone gets injured and if Jackson can't cover. Then you can all shout Judas at him. I won't though. It's just another symptom of the horrible world we live in.
  • Options
    Glory hunting Gooner loving tosser.Why good luck to him ? he has done F**K all for CAFC .
  • Options
    The worst part is that it puts Francis a step closer to the side.
  • Options
    If he plays for our 1st team again and his attitude on the pitch is good, then back him as you would any other player.
    A good performance from him could well help the team to a win.

Regardless if he's off in the summer .......if he wears our shirt, he's still a vital member of the team.
  • Options
    Don't know how much of the whole arsenal thing is true. Might be nothing.

But if i was playing for a team in league 1 and charlton were in the premiership how many wouldn't go to there boyhood club. If I was playing for a team in league 1 and charlton being in there position now wanted me I'd go to charlton. Can't blame him if the arsenal talk is true
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wont boo but as he is a Gooner i reserve the right to take my petrol can !!

sad thing is wasnt a good few saying/thinking "put the kids in once we are safe and lets see how they do" ? why play this guy if we wants to show boat himself for his own pocket and to get to another club ?