Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

solly signs jenkinson declines

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I hope they now drop the fecking bastard and leave him to join Palarse next season................some players make you laugh with ideas above their station. Although he has played well in the 7 (SEVEN) league games he has played this season , he is certainly no Lee Bowyer or Scott Parker.

perhaps he should have a word with Grant Basey !

In fairness, if he isn't going to be here next season I see no reason at all to continue to let him through the door at Sparrows lane, why on earth should our money be paying for his development any longer. Let him begin his new career today.

This.
  • Options
    From what I've seen he's nothing special. Can't blame him though . Why play in league one - it's awful.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]From what I've seen he's nothing special. Can't blame him though . Why play in league one - it's awful.

He'll be back in league one on loan anyway. Not good enough yet to get games in the championship.
  • Options
    The reasons are obvious - he's been tapped up by a bigger club. I just hope the compensation we get is decent. Not sure how this works now. Do we get an upfront or does it dpend on how he does?

two other things - shows how decent Jonjo was that he signed a contract which helped us get a better price

And glad Solly has signed! Will be a good player at this level, probably could progress with us to a chamionship player as well. Not going beyond there in my thoughts!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think if possible all young players coming through owe it to the club to sign a deal so that teams interested in them have to pay a decent fee for them, therefore putting something back into the club that backed their potential.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Steady folks, Jenkinson is still very young.

Why not find out his reasons, before spouting abuse?

Some of the abuse is going a bit far, but at the same time I agree with ShootersHillGuru that he's of no use to us now (assuming he's not going to play again this season). We'd be better off just letting him go to train with whoever he's going to join now.

If it is United or Arsenal that are interested, he would be absolutely mad to stay in League 1 rather than join them. Chances are he'll get loaned out anyway but he couldn't pass at the opportunity of a lifetime.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2011
    I kind of agree uncle.

That being said, a scenario if you would:

Jonjo gets approached by Liverpool before he signs the contract he did, and they say "we want you up here, you'll be part of the xxx squad and be training with the first team, but we don't want you signing that contract...."

You can't blame a young kid for taking it can you? In the end comes down to the credibility and outlook of the individual. I think he's made it a mistake to be honest, but I understand the reasons why he passed it up.

We're stuck in league one for another year at least for starters. If we looked like going up, I think he would've stayed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I think if possible all young players coming through owe it to the club to sign a deal so that teams interested in them have to pay a decent fee for them, therefore putting something back into the club that backed their potential.

Completely agree. Surely he could've signed a deal and negotiated something better - at least that way he would have repaid something to the club! I mean 11 years...!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I kind of agree uncle.

Jonjo gets approached by Liverpool before he signs the contract he did, and they say "we want you up here, you'll be part of the xxx squad and be training with the first team, but we don't want you signing that contract...."

You can't blame a young kid for taking it can you? In the end comes down to the credibility and outlook of the individual. I think he's made it a mistake to be honest, but I understand the reasons why.

All that's true WSS but I'm a Charlton supporter and I don't care about any of that. If he wants out. Show him the door and help him Through it.
  • Options
    Can't help but think he's been poorly advised but it could be any of a million things of why he chose to go.

I personally won't be wishing the lad well but won't hold any kind of hatred either.

He looks an ok player who could be decent but funnily enough yesterday I said to a mate that Jenkinson didn't strike me as a superstar in the making.

Fans will have a little rant but then hopefully we'll get some cash and everyone can move on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You can't blame a young kid for taking it can you? In the end comes down to the credibility and outlook of the individual. I think he's made it a mistake to be honest, but I understand the reasons why.

Believe me there was never ever going to be any doubt that he would sign. I dont see the reasoning for taking it to be honest, if you are good enough another year wont do you any harm and you will reap the rewards later just the same. Unless you think you only have a year in football there is no reason to rush. Other players have done the same in the past and never got near the first team of the ones that sign them.
  • Options
    I agree SHG mate. I really do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]

Believe me there was never ever going to be any doubt that he would sign. I dont see the reasoning for taking it to be honest, if you are good enough another year wont do you any harm and you will reap the rewards later just the same. Unless you think you only have a year in football there is no reason to rush. Other players have done the same in the past and never got near the first team of the ones that sign them.
    Unless you get crocked, or the rest of the team club goes into even more of a decline etc.

I'll admit I'm playing devil's advocate here a bit by the way. I'm gutted and think its a bit short-sighted but if I really think about it, I totally understand.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I never joined in the hysteria in the first place. He looked promising, nothing more.
    If he wants to join Arsenal reserves or whoever else, then goodbye.
    Oh and I won't be obsessed about monitoring every aspect of his career in minute detail.
  • Options
    I think he could've been handled better by the club and by Carl himself.

There may have even been an opportunity for him to join back next season on a season-long loan. That's gone now.
  • Options
    i think he is very selfish, leaving the club that has supported, developed and given him the oppurtunity. Not even signing a deal with us to guarantee a decent fee, i real kick in the **** if hes too absorbed in his own life to realise what this club has done for him then he can fuck off now.
  • Options
    I'm a bit peed off by this but hay-ho if he wants out then out he goes.
  • Options
    It would have been nice to have them both signed up, but I personally rate Solly higher than Jenkinson anyway!

Interesting that he called it 'A dream come true' to play recently. Although I believe we will still get compensation when he leaves due to his age
  • Options
    Addick91 - the compensation will be absolute peanuts, 50 grand tops.
  • Options
    We can't expect every player we keep from the age of 9 to sign for us once they reach 18/19 can we? Or should we? We're demanding loyalty so why shouldnt those on the fringes of professionalism expect it from us?

It hurts because he's good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with uncle if your good enough, sign a contract with Charlton and you'll get picked up by a bigger team. To stay it'd enable him regular first team football, develop even more and give something back to the club and the people that have trained him and made him into the player he is today. Agent must be licking his lips, Jenkinson your ungrateful and very disrespectful I hope you end up low league football and regret your greedy decision to leave.
  • Options
    spot on J BLOCK
  • Options
    I never really thought he was that special to be honest? Did ok when he came in but I would still play Solly over him.

I think it's going to be a decision he comes to regret to be honest.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2011
    Last week, I handed in my notice to my company who I joined straight out of uni (7 years ago) and gave me my first opportunity in marketing. They paid for my professional qualifications to the tunes of thousands and I've been to Barcelona and Prague with them as well as enjoying a range of privileges. I owe them a lot.

That being said, I was offered an opportunity, which I believe to be better for my career. Of course there are no guarantees this will be the case - I may indeed fall flat on my face and regret it but I'd be foolish not to take the chance. True story.

Am I a c*nt?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    This wouldn't be Jenkinson's first pro contract, so the parallels with Jonjo aren't identical. Would be interesting to know whether this is the first time we've offered him improved terms or whether it could've been sorted out a few months ago.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Last week, I handed in my notice to my company who I joined straight out of uni and gave me my first opportunity in marketing. They paid for my professional qualifications to the tunes of thousands and I've been to Barcelona and Prague with them as well as enjoying a range of privileges. I owe them a lot.
    How long have you been with them since you got your professional qualifications WSS?
  • Options
    Disappointing news, but it's hardly the end of the world. I agree with WSS about loyalty cutting both ways.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]We can't expect every player we keep from the age of 9 to sign for us once they reach 18/19 can we? Or should we? We're demanding loyalty so why shouldnt those on the fringes of professionalism expect it from us?

It hurts because he's good.

Agreed if we had discarded him no one would have been complaining at how disloyal we had been. Every year clubs throughout the league discard kids after spending years in academies, giving up their youth and hopes outside of football for the club so they have paid their dues by the time they are ready to decide if they want to sign a contract or not.

That said I would have liked him to choose to stay.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]I never really thought he was that special to be honest? Did ok when he came in but I would still play Solly over him.

I think it's going to be a decision he comes to regret to be honest.
    He's promising. Just as Powell, Konchesky, Luke Young probably were at that age without looking outstanding.

I saw him a few times in the last few years in the u18s and pre season friendlies. He's managed to play just as he does at that level in the first team. A lot of young players can't make that step up.
  • Options
    Looked an excellent player to me and almost head and shoulders above the rest of them at times. Make no mistake, that's what a bigger team have said to him too.

Very calm, assured and quality on the ball.

Powell also knew this, hence why he played him at left back a few times ahead of premier league left footer Matt Fry