Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Doctor Who Thread......

Comments

• "Don't blink !"

Weeping Angels scared the s**t out of me 1st time !
  • As a nipper in the early 60's it was down to the valley, rush out on the final whistle, pick up fish'n'chips and just get home in time for Dr Who.
  • Best Monsters:

Reapers
    The Master (John Simm version)
    Sontarans
    Sea Devils
    Lady Cassandra (Zoë Wanamaker)
    Cyber Men

Worst:

Zarbi - Nothing more than men in bumble bee suits
    You've got to have the Weeping Angels and The Silence in the best monster list. I can imagine those guys scaring the living piss out of younger viewers!

• Thanks AA , i'm glad your awake! :-0
  • Weeping Angels and the boy in the gas mask calling out "Mummy" scared me. Loved the Ood. But Cybermen still the best!
    Same here, very creepy. Although strangely enough neither of those episodes scared my nephew who is a massive Doctor Who fan and every now and again does the voice 'are you my mummy' to annoy her but me and his mum both singled out those 2 in the recent ones.

When we were growing up there used to be all 3 daughters peeking out from behind the sofa during the scary bits. Unfortunately I've gone a bit off it recently hopefully that won't last which is odd because I instantly liked Matt Smith wheras Christopher Ecclestone and David Tennant had to grow on me like fungus.

Favourite Dr Who's

John Pertwee
    Tom Baker
    Matt Smith

• Sylvester McCoy's assistant Ace (Sophie Aldred) is a Charlton fan.

I work with a current cast member (it's his big part in the show next weekend).

I said That!

Yeh - But I 'knew' her ;-)

Lucky You!

She was great / is great. It's nice to know she is still doing well.

I wasn't totally blown away by last night's story. Nice of the BBC to scedule it after the footy though. I thought both the match and 'WHO' were a bit mediocre TBH. Both Scotty Parker and the Cybermen were out of their depth. Neither Rory or James Milner were totally 'on the ball' Bit of a howler from both Joe Hart and that sontaran nurse with the magnificent lactic fluid.

I could go on...

I have a peice of paper sign by Sophie from a visit she made to my school back in the 80s during a book week. She was great!
  • Blink, the first Weeping Angels episode, was brilliant.

And hardly had The Doctor in it.
  • I have recently finished my mission to either see or hear EVERY Doctor Who episode ever produced. Thanks to some Aussie guy putting everything up on the Dailymotion website I've now done it. Took me about 18 months. Even the episodes with no official footage, only sound, are watchable thanks to publicity photos/screen images/brief clips taken by fans with cine cameras.

The early Hartnell stuff such as Marco Polo and The Aztecs is a little dated but I do love the Troughton years (when I say run.....run) as the female assistants were great (Victoria and Zoe).

Pertwee, Davison, Colin Baker and McCoy were all good but MY Doctor was Tom Baker and was definitely the best.

The new series is OK and Matt Smith seems to have what it takes. The BBC have a problem though once the bloke who plays Doctor #13 gives up the Doctor can only regenerate 12 times. Will the writers give the Doctor back his regenerations as they did with the Master?

I'd like to see some old foes return ie the Zygons, the Meddling Monk and the Celestial Toymaker.

I'll also be sad to see Amy go but apparently they're going to replace her with that cracker who's currently playing a steward in the ITV Titanic series so all will be well.

• Brilliant 1st episode, with a "I never saw that coming" twist !!
    And of course......
  • edited September 2012
    Just been rewatching the David Tennant series' and I must confess I never thought Matt Smith was going to be up to the job. To quote The Daily Mash he looks like "Noel Fielding drawn on an Etchasketch". I'm happy to say that I was wrong and I think he's probably in my top 3 Doctors now (along with Tennant and Tom Baker). Loved the first episode and looking forward to the rest. Only complaint is that they are splitting the series again with 6 episodes now and the rest later in the year.
  • Sponsored links:

• So....farewell Amy & Rory Pond.
    May You both be happy.
  • Thought the Ponds' farewell episode was excellent. Steven Moffat is responsible for some of my favourite TV moments (Coupling and the Weeping Angels in particular).
  • Didn't get why the Doctor can't visit them though. Ok, apparently can't go to 1938, but he could to say 1945?
  • Yes, the Moffat period has been excellent, but episodes occasionally have confusing bits of logic, of the 'this is how it is because the Doctor says so'!

Glad the Ponds are together, annoying that there is such a long wait until the next episode though.
  • Didn't get why the Doctor can't visit them though. Ok, apparently can't go to 1938, but he could to say 1945?

Because the actors have left the show? :-)
  • Dr Who works best for me with more monsters and less psychological stuff. Sometimes tries to be too clever.
  • "Our" Sophie on Dr.Who special, BBCOne, 7pm, "Pointless Celebrities", Tonight.
  • 'Our' Michael Grade and Sophie's doctor Sylvester McCoy were both on The One Show last night. Didn't Grade cancel the original Dr.Who? He would have been the one putting Sophie and McCoy out of work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Peter Jackson wants to direct some episodes
  • johnny73 said:

'Our' Michael Grade and Sophie's doctor Sylvester McCoy were both on The One Show last night. Didn't Grade cancel the original Dr.Who? He would have been the one putting Sophie and McCoy out of work.

I think grade had just left for channel 4 when the original series did end. He tried to cancel it when Colin Baker was the doctor but was persuaded not to when (and I wish this actually happened) the head of publicity said if he cancelled the show, the fans threatened to protest at the houses of parliament with daleks, and if they did that, it would be front page news worldwide.
    BBC couldn't be that embarrased so they made a few more series.

• pathdw98 said:

johnny73 said:

'Our' Michael Grade and Sophie's doctor Sylvester McCoy were both on The One Show last night. Didn't Grade cancel the original Dr.Who? He would have been the one putting Sophie and McCoy out of work.

I think grade had just left for channel 4 when the original series did end. He tried to cancel it when Colin Baker was the doctor but was persuaded not to when (and I wish this actually happened) the head of publicity said if he cancelled the show, the fans threatened to protest at the houses of parliament with daleks, and if they did that, it would be front page news worldwide.
    BBC couldn't be that embarrased so they made a few more series.

Thanks. Find all the internal politics fascinating especially when a few daleks are thrown in.
  • I heard that Matt Smith may be leaving at Christmas. How'd you all feel about that? Think he could go a bit longer personally. Quite like him as the Doctor!
  • I heard that Matt Smith may be leaving at Christmas. How'd you all feel about that? Think he could go a bit longer personally. Quite like him as the Doctor!

If Matt leaves I would be gutted. I have seen most episodes and he is my favorite.
    It still feels as if he's new even though he's been there just about the same time as David Tennant now.
    But saying that, It would be the perfect time for a regeneration as it's the 50th anniversary.
    If Matt did go, would quite like Jonny Lee Miller as the 12th Doctor.
    He's brilliant bonkers in Elementary so I think he could pull it off.
  • Meant to say brilliantly bonkers.
  • I could imagine him leaving soon. He's done more than enough to get himself known elsewhere so other offers may start coming in and a lot of Dr's seem to worry about being "typecast" i thought he's been really good and does the whole craziness well. Personally preferred Tennant though, think he just had worse writers and is definitely a superior actor.
  • MattD said:

Peter Jackson wants to direct some episodes

Oooo i wonder if he'll go down he elves and pixies route or the Bad Taste/Braindead route....i know what one i'd prefer :)

• Feels to soon for Matt Smith to leave. I think he is a very good Dr.Who although I prefer Tennant. Smith needs to get a couple of high profile roles to establish himself as 'Matt Smith' before he leaves the role or get the same agent as Tennant (he appears to be everywhere)!
  • Would be a real shame, think he's very good in the role, though agree on the storylines being better for David Tennant (who I liked a lot too).