Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Doctor Who Thread......

Comments

• Very good choice. Different approach from the younger Doctor, and an excellent actor.
  • Will be a nice change from 'hyperactive maniac motor-mouth loon' mode both Tennant and Smith have gone for - I like both but the approach is wearing after a while. I will be interested to see how the writers characterise the new look/style Doctor, but I think Capaldi can pull it off.
  • Absolutely cannot stand foul mouth Glaswegian Italians.
  • Can't work out how to embed this, but here's the sort of mash-up I've been waiting for: youtube.com/watch?v=5Blf073f2Lc&sns=tw

Luckily the Doctor comes from Gallifrey...

Takes one to know one? ;-)

• thenewbie said:

Will be a nice change from 'hyperactive maniac motor-mouth loon' mode both Tennant and Smith have gone for - I like both but the approach is wearing after a while. I will be interested to see how the writers characterise the new look/style Doctor, but I think Capaldi can pull it off.

There's a lot of whinging on the forums about his age, but I think Capaldi's a fantastic choice. I grew up with Jon Pertwee, hardly a kid, and Tom Baker. I loved David Tennant and I like Matt Smith, but particularly the latter struggled to get across the 900 years of experience. I think Capaldi will be excellent.

After all, if he got any younger we'd have a teenager in the tardis. And not just as the totty interest.
  • Teenage girls must be weeping all over the internet right now.
  • Teenage girls must be weeping all over the internet right now.

Funny you should say that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45d8kn5hApg
  • Oh dear, we live in a world of brain donors...
  • Sponsored links:

Takes one to know one? ;-)

Eyeing me hatefully in the mirror every morning. Take your deep fried tiramisu and fu*kkity off. He never listens.
  • I think some Valpollibuckicella would wash that tiramisu down nicely...Weegieland sends its regards.
  • Doctor Who will celebrate its 50th anniversary on BBC One in 2013. This news summary will be updated regularly as more details are revealed. WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS.

Writer: Steven Moffat.

Director: Nick Hurran.

Filming begins: Monday 1 April 2013.

Filming ends: Sunday 5 May 2013.

Air date: Saturday 23 November 2013.

Regular cast: Matt Smith as The Eleventh Doctor, Jenna Coleman as Clara.

Returning cast: David Tennant, Billie Piper as Rose Tyler, Jemma Redgrave as Kate Stewart.

Guest cast: John Hurt as The Doctor, Joanna Page as Queen Elizabeth I, Ingrid Oliver as Osgood, Peter De Jersey as Captain, Ken Bones as The General, Orlando James as Lord Beeson, Marshall Griffin, Lisa Hammond, Jonjo O'Neill as McGillop.

The latest updates will appear at the top...

» "I've lied my arse off for months [to make sure some things are kept under wraps] – you know nothing, so don't make presumptions." (Steven Moffat)

» "I think you could call it movie-length, yeah. I mean, I’m saying that with a slight hint of vagueness because I don’t know the finished running time. It’s certainly well over an hour." (Steven Moffat)

» "[Matt Smith and David Tennant are] quite a fun pairing, I would say. There’s a bit of the normal joshing of each other but they’re both such enthusiastic Doctors. While they might be sort of competing slightly, they’re both standing there saying, “Oh god, it’s so cool, there’s two of me!” So, it’s very different. I think the other one that worked brilliantly was Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton. This is very different from that but it’s a sublime double act." (Steven Moffat)

» "We had to do a scene with the zygons outside, so there was no point in pretending they weren’t there. We kept very close to the original design. It’s a cracking monster." (Steven Moffat)

» "There was a gap between Paul McGann playing the Doctor and Christopher Eccleston, when we didn’t see a regeneration, and John Hurt will fit into that gap. He is a past Doctor, not a future Doctor." (costume designer Howard Burden)

» "We had three different Doctors in here and we shot on 3D as well... Yeah, three different Doctors. John Hurt, and David Tennant was back and Matt [Smith]. Three different Doctors playing against each other." (Jenna Coleman)

» "...it's absolutely bloody brilliant! I think it's an astonishing script. Steven Moffat is an outrageously good writer and as always with Doctor Who, it's philosophical, it's deep, it's an adventure story and if you're a kid, you're going to be taken on an extraordinary ride. It raises all sorts of interesting questions for anyone who wants to go deeper with it. It's funny and then on a sixpence it breaks your heart. It's just wonderful!" (Jemma Redgrave)

» "It was so much fun getting to act with the different Doctors but it was quite scary and intimidating at first. [John Hurt] is so much fun. He's got the most amazing stories, he's just fantastic. And you see him on set and he's got that amazing voice and he doesn't do anything - he just starts saying the lines and you're like, 'Oh my god, you are the best actor I've ever seen.'" (Joanna Page)

» "People keep asking how long the anniversary special is, and it's a fair question. I don't actually know, because the answer is, it's as long as it needs to be. The script is quite long though. I'm looking at it now. Ooh, that's quite long." (Steven Moffat)

» "All I've ever revealed about what we're doing in Doctor Who is anything we filmed outside. I notice people are making up stuff about who and what is or is not in that special, you're just going to have to wait 'til November to find out the truth." (Steven Moffat)

» "I assure you I haven’t made the 50th the second part of a story, that would be insane." (Steven Moffat)

» "It's a gift, that show. It's very much for the fans and you really feel that on this particular episode." (Billie Piper)

» John Hurt is playing "part of the Doctor" in a "kind of trinity" which includes David Tennant. (John Hurt)

» "I am getting to work with David Tennant, who I have a lot of time for. I’m sworn to secrecy about my character and my scenes ... as soon as they asked me, I knew what my answer would be." (John Hurt)

» "Much as we'd love to tell you everything... I read the script and I clapped at the end. I think it's hilarious, and I think it's epic, and I think it's vast, and I'm telling you nothing more! But you will not be disappointed." (Matt Smith)

» "You'll laugh more than you'll cry." (Matt Smith)

» "Would I play Martha Jones again? Yes - under the right circumstances ie character development opportunity." (Freema Agyeman)

» "...I'm very loyal to Doctor Who - I saw Steven Moffat recently and I think he's brilliant. He's one of those people that if he ever asked me to do anything, I'd do it." (Arthur Darvill)

» "None of us knows yet what’s going on, just told to keep the days free. Mmmmmmmmm intriguing." (Louise Jameson)

» The episode will be directed by Nick Hurran, who previously directed 'The Girl Who Waited', 'The God Complex', 'Asylum of the Daleks', 'The Angels Take Manhattan'. (Nick Hurran)

» "When it comes to the end of the year, Doctor Who fans will look back at 2013 as the best year to be a fan EVER. Guaranteed." (Tom Spilsbury, editor of Doctor Who Magazine)

» "I’m doing two things for the 50th but nothing to do with being in the drama. I got misquoted hideously once saying that there are some rumblings going on about being involved in the 50th in terms of the drama. It’s not." (Freema Agyeman)

» "I've not been asked [to return]. I think Matt Smith said something in passing or in jest like, 'That would be nice', and it became something, but no." (Billie Piper)

» "Steven [Moffat] texted me saying this will be something we will talk about in our dotage and he is right, we will." (Jenna-Louise Coleman)

» "[The plans] are immense, they are considerable. They will be full of tremendous surprises. But they wouldn’t be surprises if I accidentally said them now, would they? No, we’re not telling you. But I promise you, we’re going to take over television. Trust me." (Steven Moffat)

» "I would love to if they ask me and I know that [Arrow exec Andrew Kreisberg] has already said to me if they want me in the 50th anniversary, he will give me the time off from Arrow to do it. Personally, as a fan of the show, I would be disappointed if Captain Jack was not involved. (John Barrowman)

» "Would I like to be involved? If I told you that I’d have to shoot you." (Christopher Eccleston)

» "I think I’d be like the ghost at the feast, what would I do – turn up and make the tea? I have asked current boss Steven Moffat not to tell me what they are planning." (Russell T Davies)

» "It won’t just be a televised event; I think it will be a live event. The way it’s transmitted on TV will hopefully be an inventive thing - something different." (Matt Smith)

» "We want to make [the anniversary] as big and bold and as brilliant as we can because, we hope, it can be one of the monumental bits of TV history. But I doubt there'll be a regeneration. Steven [Moffat] will tease you all right to the end. Because that's what he does to me." (Matt Smith)

» "If I wanted a companion from the past [to return for the anniversary] I would say Rose because I am good friends with Billie [Piper]." (Matt Smith)

» "I cannot be drawn on anything. Who knows what will happen next year? I'm sure there are lots of plans being discussed... I am not confirming nor denying anything." (David Tennant)

» "[Steven Moffat’s first anniversary episode is] as brilliant and as mental as you’d expect from Steven." (Matt Smith)

» "Whether [Arthur Darvill and I] are involved, we'll have to wait and see." (Karen Gillan)
  • CultBox ‏@CultBoxTV
    'Doctor Who' official Cardiff studio tour preview, including pics of the TARDIS set - http://ow.ly/o4tSY
  • edited October 2013
    Missing Episodes of Doctor Who have supposedly been recovered.
    There is supposed to be a press conference on Tuesday to announce the finds, followed by 2 recovered episodes to be available on itunes on Wednesday. Rumours are that as many as 100 missing episodes have been found.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-10-06/doctor-who-newly-discovered-lost-episodes-to-be-released-for-sale-this-week

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/long-lost-doctor-who-episodes-unveiled-2345526
  • Sponsored links:

• 2 hour special today on Watch with Jon Pertwee.
    The onscreen blurb says:

After his exile, the newly regenerated Doctor arrives in Oxley Woods and people and meterorites start to go missing.

Would explain Ace's CAFC badge methinks.......
  • Good wasn't it!

2 hour special today on Watch with Jon Pertwee.
    The onscreen blurb says:

After his exile, the newly regenerated Doctor arrives in Oxley Woods and people and meterorites start to go missing.

Would explain Ace's CAFC badge methinks.......

I presume it was Pertwee's Doctor that prevented the Orbital road being built through Oxley Woods then...
  • edited October 2013
    That trailer was awesome. Loads of references to the past 50 years.
    Loved that Sarah Jane was in it, as a tribute to her. I presume that was John Hurt who had his back to us and facing Tennant.
    And also, just after Tennant, before it zooms into Smith, look on the rock. Is that Capaldi's face in the rock?

• Doctor Who Official ‏@bbcdoctorwho
    BREAKING NEWS: #DoctorWho: The Day of the Doctor is on @BBCOne at 7:50pm on Saturday, 23 November. http://bbc.in/1dSb4pf #SaveTheDay
  • Sarah-Jane's car & Mr Smith.
  • CultBox ‏@CultBoxTV 42s
    Print out your 'Doctor Who' bingo cards for 'The Day of the Doctor' here! - http://ow.ly/r54X2
  • Doctor Who Official ‏@bbcdoctorwho
    BREAKING NEWS: #DoctorWho: The Day of the Doctor is on @BBCOne at 7:50pm on Saturday, 23 November. http://bbc.in/1dSb4pf #SaveTheDay

looking forward to it