Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doctor Who Thread......

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:

Saga Lout said:

Well I think it's a stupid decision, understandable in these PC times but stupid nonetheless. I don't think it is sexist to say that the Doctor has a specific gender.

In what way is it stupid?

It seems to have garnered a huge amount of publicity. Many, many fans are delighted at the appointment. It's likely to boost viewing figures, which the BBC can use to feed into whatever tea-time weekend slots they want to enhance. She's a great actor. She's closer in age to the core Dr Who viewership than many of the previous doctors. And she'll be playing a several hundred year old, time-travelling, two-hearted alien, who traverses the universe in a 1950s British police box, uses a sonic screwdriver and fights daleks and cybermen: do you not think belief suspension could be stretched to accommodate a different gender too?

Why do you think it's stupid, when many people would call it incredibly astute?
    Opinions are like arseholes - everyone's got one. That's just my opinion. I've got to say though, I like the way you have put your argument (particularly the bit in bold). Whatever the hell am I worried about when all that is going on???
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Well I think it's a stupid decision, understandable in these PC times but stupid nonetheless. I don't think it is sexist to say that the Doctor has a specific gender.

Perhaps they could build it into the storyline: The doctor regenerates as a man, but is actually transgender and operates on himself to change his gender. You could make a whole flashback-based episode where he keeps getting it wrong and has to go back again to perfect the surgery. I'll give you that one, Terry Nation. Or whoever writes it nowadays.

Then again, with the clever use of psychic paper she could save the surgery make her birth certificate say whatever she wants.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Saga Lout said:

The Doctor is an imaginary 2000 year old alien with two hearts who "regenerates" every couple of years.

But you think he has a specific gender?

Edit chizz said it better already
  • Options
    I blame the EU.
  • Options

I blame the EU.

I don't - the EU is great.
  • Options
    Huge slap in the face for the Transgender community. The BBC has missed a huge trick here and I am sure that there will be uproar!

What does Jeremy say?
  • Options
    This change has been well signposted over the last few years, so not a great surprise really

Ultimately, the important thing is to get the character right, as each Doctor has been different from the previous one
  • Options
    Show died when Tennant and RTD left in all honesty. But if your offended that a fictional character is a woman you probably need some help.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Peter Capaldi has been let down by the quality of the writing to some extent. Open minded about his replacement.
  • Options
    A bad move in my opinion. I've got no issue with Missy or River Song leading a series as the main character I just believe The Doctor should remain a male character as that's his character that's who he is.

The Master regenerating into Missy was done to prepare us for this.

From what I've read online I can see a serious drop in ratings even with any new fans attracted to watch. I'd be surprised if she lasts beyond one series.
  • Options

A bad move in my opinion. I've got no issue with Missy or River Song leading a series as the main character I just believe The Doctor should remain a male character as that's his character that's who he is.

From what I've read online I can see a serious drop in ratings even with any new fans attracted to watch. I'd be surprised if she lasts beyond one series.

Ratings have been dropping anyway, whoever they chose today, there would be a hostile reaction from some quarters.

It's definitely a risk, but the alternative of a more status quo Doctor would also be a risk, as there's a danger of stagnation
  • Options

Ratings have been dropping anyway, whoever they chose today, there would be a hostile reaction from some quarters.

It's definitely a risk, but the alternative of a more status quo Doctor would also be a risk, as there's a danger of stagnation
    It's a risk indeed. Extremely high risk and yes while ratings have dropped anyway as Kings Hill said, maybe it would have been a good time for a break from the show. Personally I'll be taking my own break from the show after the Christmas special.
  • Options
    I was an avid watcher of Dr Who as a child (who wasn't) - but that was the in the 70's when we had John Pertwee & then Tom Baker - Peter Davidson was ok but then it all then fell apart once Syvester McCoy landed the roll. I lost touch after that & only really started re-watching it again over the past few years when the kids got into it. I've now watched a lot of the past 3 doctor's series & really enjoyed Matt Smith & especially David Tennant but peter Capaldi never really cut it for me. I think this new Doctor will be a breath of fresh air & didn't realise who the actress was from the picture shown on the Tv today until they said she was in Broadchurch - looks different with blond hair - just hope she keeps her West Country burr.......
  • Options
    I can remember not being keen on this new Tom Baker chap taking over ... that worked out rather well.

Oddly, given the nature of the show, change is rarely popular. Until it is.
  • Options
    Can I just say? Despite my previous (lighthearted) comment on this thread. I actually don't give a monkeys whether Doctor Who is male, female, transgender or a member of Black lesbians against the Whale.
    The programme is shite and has been since they stopped filming it in a chalk quarry in Northfleet or the same studio used for Crossroads, you know the one with wobbly walls and lighting gantry's showing above.

In my opinion ........................................ obviously.
  • Options

I think ratings have taken a hit because Peter Capaldi, great actor as he is, was too old for the target audience. It's a young man's (and woman's) show these days. David Tennant and Matt Smith were young and dynamic. The recent stories have been way too complicated for children and, frankly, much less fun to watch.

It was time for a much younger Doctor - frankly, in my view, the Capaldi decision was just a mistake. Switching gender is something different all together. There was a suggestion that 'Nick' from 'My Family' was going to get the job. I think he would have been fantastic.

I fear for the ratings going forward but, in reality, if they are going to make something that the public don't want to watch, then the ratings become unimportant as, even, the BBC can't continue to make stuff that no one wants to watch.
  • Options
    I think the more important change is the producer and hopefully some new writers too. Doctor Who has been disappearing up its bunghole for a while now - it needs shaking up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think ratings have taken a hit because Peter Capaldi, great actor as he is, was too old for the target audience. It's a young man's (and woman's) show these days. David Tennant and Matt Smith were young and dynamic. The recent stories have been way too complicated for children and, frankly, much less fun to watch.

It was time for a much younger Doctor - frankly, in my view, the Capaldi decision was just a mistake. Switching gender is something different all together. There was a suggestion that 'Nick' from 'My Family' was going to get the job. I think he would have been fantastic.

I fear for the ratings going forward but, in reality, if they are going to make something that the public don't want to watch, then the ratings become unimportant as, even, the BBC can't continue to make stuff that no one wants to watch.
    Ok, ok, but how old was William Hartnell when this whole thing started? What's age got to do with it? Why does the Doctor have to be young to engage the imaginations of the young? I thought Peter Capaldi was great as the Doctor, maybe let down by the scripts, but he was great in the role (having said that, I am quite obviously, an old git).
  • Options
    If you'd asked me 20 years ago if The Doctor should be female I'd have been adamant that the character be a man.
    Times change though and I accept I am not the target audience for the show. Secondly, society and the new core audience they want to attract are far more flexible in their approach to gender. My daughter was delighted to hear the news and they will bring her back in as a fan. Unfortunately Capaldi was to old for the role and a lot of fans who idolised Tennent and Smith moved on.
    The Doctor as a man with a female sidekick got a bit tired. They relied to much on romantic chemistry which was repeated endlessly.
    Capaldi played the grandfather figure to his companions and in the modern age it simply wasn't appealing to its audience.

Since the show was rebooted the main assistant has been the audiences way into the show. The female sidekicks have essentially been the lead character. If they stick to that philosophy then a male character will be more of a focus with a female doctor. So everybody wins.
  • Options

I can remember not being keen on this new Tom Baker chap taking over ... that worked out rather well.

Oddly, given the nature of the show, change is rarely popular. Until it is.

Yes, I'm like that as well. Underwhelmed when they are announced, but won over after their first episode (or few episodes)

• Options
    Right, so Nicky Ajose is the new Doctor then, on loan to the Tardis for a year, with us still covering some of his wages?
  • Options
    I thought he (Capaldi) was too old to play the kind of Doctor we have got used to since the show came back in 2005 and my son, who is 13, says that he, and his friends at school, didn't like him.

Who am I to second guess teenagers?

The show was very different with a 50+ year old lead than the two before that were just either side of 30 when they started.

Maybe the scripts were the problem, maybe the scrips were tailored to an old bloke - by comparison.

Either way the show failed to grab the imagination of many and my son watches the current ones every week but still goes back to watch the Tennent and Smith shows again. I'm not sure he's watched any of the Capaldi episodes more than once.

I guess, at the end of the day, it depends what the main goal of the BBC is. If it's to increase viewing figures and/or sell DVD box sets and toys then they need to make the show appeal to youngsters. If they want to advance some policital and/or social agenda then the show doesn't need to appeal to more than the bare minimum to keep it on the air.
  • Options
    Might have livened it up if Peter Capaldi had played the Doctor ala Malcolm Tucker, with every other word starting with an "f" or a "c"
  • Options
    Is this still considered a kids program? Over here in the US, BBC America shows this @ 9pm, and I don't see the storylines as kid-centric.

The female doctor has been on the cards for a while. It will be interesting to see how she plays it.
  • Options
    I was initially very worried about a female being given the title of Lord. However, further research reveals that ladies can indeed be lords.

The Lord of Mann, a title currently held by the Queen of the United Kingdom, and female Lord Mayors are examples of women who are styled Lord.

Obviously 'Time Lord' is now also gender neutral, which is just as well as 'Time Lady' has a distinctly dodgy ring to it.
  • Options
    The finale was good but Dr Who doesn't work when it tries to be too clever IMO. Nothing against a woman doctor, if you have a problem with that and not a police box travelling within time and space it doesn't make sense. The question is how good is her material going to be.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

Doctor Who a woman ! pah! PC gone mad.

Bollox.