Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread addicks v's millwall

Comments

• Options
    i dont really care if BWP has not impressed today! if he puts the ball in the back of the net twice in every game next season i will be happy and so will everyone else!!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Look forward to hearing more from those at the game.

More positives than negatives, some good passages of play, where we look a very good passing side.

Negatives, we still look a little prone to the "direct" approach, Henderson a handful for Taylor/Morrison to deal with and with Marquis lively alongside, they caused us problems. The communication between keeper and back four looked good on Tuesday, but showed some frailaty today against a more robust team. Some will be disappointed with manner of their first, third and fourth goals, their second was very well worked with a classy finish. We need to do better out wide against sides that are going to bombard us with crosses, our closing down of their wide players could and should have been much better. A few had quiet games, Stephens (who is classy, but needs more of the ball in areas where he can hurt teams), Wagstaff, Morrison come to mind.

Positives, Hollands best player on the park and BWP showed that he is not just a great goalscorer, his link up play was impressive today. 3 goals away at a Championship side bodes well. Hayes did well against two strong powerful centre backs (Purse/Ward) without being a stand out. JJ was much better today, even though he seemed to carry a knock. Looked the better side for the first 30 minutes of each half, but we seemed to drop off after thier second equaliser and again after we made it 3-3. We'll out "football" most sides this season, but if Bournemouth were watching they will have seen a couple of areas where we can be got at.

Still think we need at least 3 more of the better quality League 1 players as the depth might not be there. A very decent first XI we do seem to have, but we may need a little more to  become as consistent as we will be required to be, should the Championship beckon.

• Options

Ok, now home. My take on events.

1st half was played at a million miles an hour. We started quite well and took the lead with a decent move. Good work from Stephens, Wiggins and Wright-Phillips.

Unfortunately, the stage was then set defensively. Every time Millwall came forward in the first half they looked like they were going to score. The had clearly marked Solly out as a weak link and James Henry ran him ragged for 20 mins. Both centre halfs were all over the shop when the ball was delivered into the area. I also think they had singled out our lack of pace at centre half as Marquis played on the shoulder and Millwall were looking to get in behind Taylor and Morrison. Was very impressed with Marquis, exactly the type of forward we are missing.

Elliot had a torrid time with balls into the box.I don't remember him claiming a single cross all afternoon. I'll get accused of having it in for him, but I couldn't give a toss. He is a weak link and does not command his box in anyway shape or form. Forde on the other hand came for and claimed crosses all afternoon.

Henry's free kick was a great strike, but why did we only have a 3 man wall?. Surely the keepers responsibility to get that right? The free kick also went on Elliots' side of the goal - I'd hve to see it again to judge him completely, but several voices behind me sounded their dissention that he hadn't saved it.

Great move and finish to get back infront, but that was about our lot for the first half. Millwall bossed the rest of it. Great finish from Marquis for the second goal. However, the defending that led up to it was shocking and you coud have driven a bus through the gap between Morrison and Taylor when the cross came over.

3rd goal was again shocking defending. No pressure on the crosser, Elliot in a poor position and flapped at a looping header. Accuse me of having Charlton eyes all you like, he should have saved it.

Millwall took their foot off the gas slightly in the second half and it was a much more even game. We created a few chances and looked good in midfield. However, Millwall continued to trouble our back five and we looked vulnerable everytime they had an attacking setplay.

Decent header from Jackson for ther equaliser.

WTF was Elliot doing for the 4th goal?. Wall pathetic. Terrible starting postion. Why wasn't there someone on the line?.

Pluses - Hollands, BWP, Stephens, Jackson and Wiggins (much improved on Tuesday).

Worries - Elliot (don't believe Sullivan is the answer either), Taylor, Morrison, Solly and Wagstaff.

We need a right back, a mobile centre half and another option upfront. I've been thinking it for a while and I stand by it, I suspect neither Sullivan or Elliot is going to end the season as our number 1 goalkeeper.

• Options
    Sounds like we can play some good football which is good. Still not sure about the defence and keeper, another centre back to come in hopefully, said at the start of the season I don't think either Elliot or Sullivan are that good keepers and that's a weak link we haven't really looked at this summer
  • Options
    Red, do you want my ticket v Scunny?

Free of course : )
  • Options
    I have to agree with Clem on the keeping issue, his analysis is spot on and this is one area where we need better if we are not to run into problems. Schoolboy stuff the 4th goal and I'd be very surprised if there was anyone in our end who didn't expect them to score from it, RE literally stood to the right hand side of his goal and offered them to put it in the other corner and guess what........................ they did. We need more confidence and organisation from what is a key position in any would be successful side.
  • Options

John sullivan should be our first team goalkeeper

• Options
    Last time we played them in the league we lost 4-0, so I'll take 4-3 as an improvement any day.  Defence clearly still needs work, though...If I were in charge, I'd spend any money we have left on a really experienced keeper...would be worth their weight in gold, and help Elliott develop.
  • Options

my views now ..

personally , i found and have always found waggy tries to to too mutch and trie to do everything ... he proved this when the right side of the pitch was more or less empty other than solly and a millwall defender ..elliott had a mare - couldnt comand or use his area , nor could he kick for his life ( both sets of players expected the ball to be played ot the left , to which he punted it down the middle ) ... morrison - just hoofed it up top for hayes or BWP to chase , didnt win many headers either .. taylor - same as morrison realy ..  wiggins imo is very weak at defending but good at attacking ( where have we heard that before ! ) .. positive for me are - hayes , imo played well today linking the midfield up , also found and put the ball in space which no one else did and a few fancy flicks that he pulled off .. other positives are hollands - a good all round midfielder with a good cross . didnt do mutch wrong today 

solly .- postitive as he , for a 5 ft something rightback out muscled taller and 'wider' player than himself . good attacking , but could have used more help from waggy .

one question WHERE HAS OUR ' PASSING FOOTBALL '  GONE  ?

we need a young champ or prem center back  , and sullivan need to be tried in goal !

• Options
    Thought we played well and should have won.  We passed it around nicely and played some real threatening football at times.  The cross for the first goal was superb.

We lost it on our goalkeeping; particularly on the free kicks.  Not sure why Elliot dived on the first one.  We'd left a gap in the wall - presumably to invite a shot in that space - when the ball came through there, Elliot was horizontal with his arm up in the air.  He got a hand to it but wasn't strong enough to keep it out.  If, he just stood his ground it would have been an east catch.  With the second one he stood way to far to his right (our left) and just stood there as it whistled in the other corner; as someone else said, terrible positioning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From the Millwall commentary regarding the free kick first time. Purse got involved pushing and shoving Waggy, there was a kerfuffle, then the free kick taker paced out the ten yards again, by then our wall and numbers had become ragged, leaving space for the free kick. If that is true, then perhaps all the defending is to blame rather than just Elliott, who would have been put off by all the malarkey, and possibly left with a wall not covering properly. I wasn't there however.
  • Options
    Thought we played well and should have won.  We passed it around nicely and played some real threatening football at times.  The cross for the first goal was superb.

We lost it on our goalkeeping; particularly on the free kicks.  Not sure why Elliot dived on the first one.  We'd left a gap in the wall - presumably to invite a shot in that space - when the ball came through there, Elliot was horizontal with his arm up in the air.  He got a hand to it but wasn't strong enough to keep it out.  If, he just stood his ground it would have been an east catch.  With the second one he stood way to far to his right (our left) and just stood there as it whistled in the other corner; as someone else said, terrible positioning.
    Agree re: the football side of things. When actually got the ball down and played we did look good. We played some proper football.

I'm really liking the look of Hollands. Looks a much better allround player than Semedo.

Its all well and good having these players and looking to play the game the right way, but you simply have to get the basics right first. We look shonky at the back and if we go in with that back 5 we are always going to give teams a chance.

Centre half and a RB are a must. I'd have put Solly out of his misery today and swapped him with Francis.
  • Options
    Hmmmmm
  • Options
    Didnt go today but judging by everyones reactions to our defence, maybe we are going to be the peterborough of this season. 5-4 wins
  • Options
    From the Millwall commentary regarding the free kick first time. Purse got involved pushing and shoving Waggy, there was a kerfuffle, then the free kick taker paced out the ten yards again, by then our wall and numbers had become ragged, leaving space for the free kick. If that is true, then perhaps all the defending is to blame rather than just Elliott, who would have been put off by all the malarkey, and possibly left with a wall not covering properly. I wasn't there however.

Its the goalkeepers job to orgainse the wall. He made a mess of it.

The 3rd goal was his fault as much as Solly.

He flapped at crosses all afternoon.

You can't defend the indefensible. He had a 'mare. Thankfully I am being backed up by those there and won't get accused of making it up because I have an agenda with Elliot.
  • Options

You can't defend the indefensible. He had a 'mare. Thankfully I am being backed up by those there and won't get accused of making it up because I have an agenda with Elliot.

If a tree falls in a forest would you blame it on Elliot?

• Options
    Look at Millwall online forum, the today thread, and post three (I imagine it refers to Paul Robinson on Bradley Wright Philips). I don't have the skill to post a direct link.
  • Options
    I could be wrong, but the gap in the wall looked more deliberate to me.  They stood like that for ages; it was blindingly obvious because it was so big.  If that was accidental, then I'd say that none of the keeper, the captain, the defenders, the manager or anyone else who was on the bench were doing their job properly, because that gap stood out like a sore thumb.  

What was funny though (until they scored) was the Millwall guy trying to insist that the wall wasn't back enough and the ref saying it was.
  • Options
    Look at Millwall online forum, the today thread, and post three (I imagine it refers to Paul Robinson on Bradley Wright Philips). I don't have the skill to post a direct link.

http://www.millwall.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=85817&posts=18

This thread?
  • Options

Disgraceful.

http://www.millwall.vitalfootball.co.uk/....=85817&posts=16

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Did we really do The Poznan.

Embarrasing...

• Options
    Yes thats the link, thanks. Millwall 2011.
  • Options
    You'll note that no-one pulls him up on the racist abuse.
  • Options
    No we didn't. They just don't know bouncy bouncy when they see it.
    As for that racist prick on there.....speechless. And no one on there shoots him down about it? Sums that lot up
  • Options

http://www.millwall.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=85817&posts=18

This thread?
    Yep disgraceful.  And the worse thing is, there's not one saying anything about it.
  • Options
    Does our visitor Sparrows Lane Lion post on there?
  • Options

Were you at the game? I'll assume not.

He got stick from the Charlton Live commentators at Aldershot and the fans around me. I pointed that out and apparently I have "Charlton Eyes"

He had an absolute stinker today, backed up by several posters who were at the game, unlike you.

IMO he will cost us more points than he wins us.

I have no agenda with the bloke. I'm sure he's a lovely bloke. Unfortunately, IMO he is not a very good keeper. I'm not convinced Sullivan is much better. We have a problem in this postion.
  • Options

Not sure the kerfuffle had much to do with the ball ending up in our net. The shot, when it arrived, came to the area RE had positioned himself to save, but it looked like he "guessed" that it was going to the other (right) side, he took two steps that way, checked back and missed the save into the area he had positioned himself to cover. He'll be very disappointed that he didn't get a good hand to it. It wasn't just the free kick goals, other aspects (communication/distribution/command of the penalty area) of his game today, left a lot to be desired IMHO and confidence between keeper and his defenders is a must have and was a piece of the jigsaw that was some way short today. It might look different on the highlights, but will be interesting to see.
  • Options

Were you at the game? I'll assume not.

He got stick from the Charlton Live commentators at Aldershot and the fans around me. I pointed that out and apparently I have "Charlton Eyes"

He had an absolute stinker today, backed up by several posters who were at the game, unlike you.

IMO he will cost us more points than he wins us.

I have no agenda with the bloke. I'm sure he's a lovely bloke. Unfortunately, IMO he is not a very good keeper. I'm not convinced Sullivan is much better. We have a problem in this postion.

No I wasn't at the game, but you've slagged him off in around half-a-dozen posts in this thread and in countless others on different threads. So you don't rate him, but you've made your point.

The problem is you can always find evidence to support a prejudice. We all know he's not the best keeper but he's not the worst either.