Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chess.com

Comments

• Options
    There is more subterfuge in the world of chess than an episode of Game of Thrones!
  • Options
    Damn I hate end games! Need more practice at them. Should really have beaten AA but looks like I've cocked it up.
  • Options
    You would not believe how close I came to playing an eventually (like in eight moves) losing move in my slightly-winning game against Talal just now
  • Options
    Oh you tease :smile: I'm fighting a losing battle in that one too. Never did like the Europa League...
  • Options
    Well played Leuth.
  • Options
    Thanks! Although...apparently I completely handed it to you on a plate near the end and we both missed it :/
  • Options
    Did you? Yh I certainly didn't see it if so.
  • Options
    The computer has confirmed that a mere pawn move would have won it for you just before the end. Not the sort of move it's easy to find
  • Options
    Not done the analysis before, just seen it. Can't believe I've missed that actually but never mind!
  • Options
    Well played Talal, we have some very close matches and you have come out on top again
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can only assume staring at a chess board for more than 5 minutes induces some form of insanity in me and is the only explanation for the constant gaffs, I keep making.

Out of interest, those who whooped my arse in the last tournament and who look like whooping my arse again, you know who you are, heartless b'stards;)
    Have you been playing regularly for a long time and have you read / studied the game?

Only you all seem to have clear strategies, against my, let's move it here and see what happens:(
  • Options

Well played Talal, we have some very close matches and you have come out on top again

Cheers. We do indeed, look forward to the next battle!
  • Options

I can only assume staring at a chess board for more than 5 minutes induces some form of insanity in me and is the only explanation for the constant gaffs, I keep making.

Out of interest, those who whooped my arse in the last tournament and who look like whooping my arse again, you know who you are, heartless b'stards;)
    Have you been playing regularly for a long time and have you read / studied the game?

Only you all seem to have clear strategies, against my, let's move it here and see what happens:(

Are you making full use of the Analysis button to play out possible scenarios two or three moves ahead?
  • Options

Are you making full use of the Analysis button to play out possible scenarios two or three moves ahead?
    Wait what?! Had no idea you could do that!
  • Options

What analysis button?
  • Options

What analysis button?
    On the iPad app it appears as a mini chess board with a spy glass.
  • Options

What analysis button?
    Ah, I don't have the app, I'll get it.

So you've been cheating, that's why you keep thrashing me;)
  • Options

What analysis button?

The button is also available when playing on the web site.
  • Options

What analysis button?

You don't need the app, it's there just noticed it.
    No wonder my brain's been hurting been doing it all in my head. Though to be honest that's really how it should be done, would rather it didn't have this option.
  • Options
    Talal said:

What analysis button?

No wonder my brain's been hurting been doing it all in my head. Though to be honest that's really how it should be done, would rather it didn't have this option.
    It is why the ratings on Chess.com cannot be compared with real chess ratings gained in proper timed face to face matches. I have never really played chess on real chess boards with clocks. The analysis button is excellent training device. And if you are really keen, after each match, you can get the computer to analyse every move suggesting better moves and pointing out mistakes and blunders.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017

Talal said:

What analysis button?

It is why the ratings on Chess.com cannot be compared with real chess ratings gained in proper timed face to face matches. I have never really played chess on real chess boards with clocks. The analysis button is excellent training device. And if you are really keen, after each match, you can get the computer to analyse every move suggesting better moves and pointing out mistakes and blunders.
    I think the computer might explode, analysing all my blunders.

So that's one of the advantages of upgrading?
  • Options

Talal said:

What analysis button?

Don't think you need to upgrade to get access to the analysis button or the post match analysis feature.
  • Options
    Well, shit - that's a bit pointless! It's like playing against a bloody computer! Can you turn it off for all players in a tournament? I can't see it on the app anyway, but surely the temptation to cheat must be too great for some people...
  • Options
    Just about to get panelled by AA, methinks. Couple of early wins, but feel like I'm behind against Charente (though it's a confusing game so hard to tell). Reckon I've got Leuth's number but pretty level with Talal.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Well, shit - that's a bit pointless! It's like playing against a bloody computer! Can you turn it off for all players in a tournament? I can't see it on the app anyway, but surely the temptation to cheat must be too great for some people...

No, you can't see the full analysis until after the match. The analysis button during the game equates to no more than setting up a real chess board to represent the match you are playing and testing some scenarios. You get no help from the computer about what moves you try out.
  • Options
    I've not been using the analysis button - a big part of chess is thinking the moves through, like it's an over the board game. But, this site has given us the ability to have a friendly comp and it does have that function. So, if some want to use it I'm not that bothered, part and parcel of playing online.

If we do ever get together for a 'proper' game though, those who have been using it may suffer for this safety net ;-)
  • Options

Just about to get panelled by AA, methinks. Couple of early wins, but feel like I'm behind against Charente (though it's a confusing game so hard to tell). Reckon I've got Leuth's number but pretty level with Talal.

The cheating that sometimes takes place on Chess.com, and other similar sites, is where people replicate the game they are playing on a chess computer or software and make their moves on their chess.com match as directed by that computer or software. Chess.com and other sites have sophisticated software programs, apparently, that will identify when this happens quite quickly.
  • Options

Talal said:

What analysis button?

Don't think you need to upgrade to get access to the analysis button or the post match analysis feature.
    I think you do for analysis but not post analysis.
  • Options

Talal said:

What analysis button?

I think you do for analysis but not post analysis.
    I think it is the other way round. I am pretty sure I had access to the analysis button before I became a paying member.