Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot (Signed for Newcastle for Undisclosed Fee)

Comments

• Options
    Rob Elliott against the likes of Aquero is a scary thought for the Geordies.

I like Rob, but I feel if we can cash in at this stage with plenty of GK back up and the Hamer in place, we should do.

• Options
    This summer just gets better & better we out some serious deadwood including the likes of McCormack, sell Jenkinson & Elliot two homegrown players & they finance a completely new team, possibly the best one we have had in years. Sorry but I am really struggling to see a downside on ANY transfer business we have conducted this summer. Well done the Club been very cute in our transfer dealings this summer.
    Totally agree with this. Never understood the constant grief Robbie gets on here. A young keeper playing in the worse Charlton team in recent memory, in a cauldron of misery was always going to make the odd mistake. Most keepers don't peak till their late twenties so I think he will become a good Championship standard keeper. If we get a combined £400k for him, Benson & Francis, I think that is fantastic business & will hopefully fund another forward.
  • Options
    Well this funds any purchases in the January window, all good
  • Options
    I think whoever is wheeling and dealing is very astute.He is also very logical.I liked Elliot especially as he was homegrown and did try to improve his game but you do not buy Hamer to be your No.2.
  • Options

I like Elliot, it's nice having a proper Charlton fan in the side, but I think Randolph was a better keeper and I don't think Robbie's anywhere near a Prem player.

Looks like Pardew at his best, attempting to be a Redkapp-style wheeler-dealer but being effing useless at it. I reckon Elliot could be to Newcastle what Dean Sinclair and Stuart Fleetwood were to us.

• Options
    It was clear that with only 1 year left on his contract it was time to either sign a new contract or sell him on. If there were problems agreeing a contract, on either side, then sale becomes the best option and Hamer was brought in to cover against that eventuality.

Best of luck to him. I don't think he's Prem quality so I suspect he'll be warming the bench but probably earning a lot of money in the process.
  • Options
    Didn't rate Robbie massively but sad to see him go. It was great to have a real fan in the team and he always put a shift in at Young Addicks etc - was really nice to the kids.
  • Options
    good luck to him.
  • Options

Claiming that Pardew is buying Elliot to scupper our season is the childish act. Elliot is a good keeper who will get better but losing him when we have 2 good keepers in reserve won't affect us. I hope it works out for him - it certainly will financially but being a second choice keeper could actually damage his career- especially since the Charlton project is promising to be fruitful. On this site, some people make a decision about a player/manager and never change their minds - I have been frustrated reading some of the unjust criticism of Elliot.

As for other departures, I think Powell will be happy to keep the players he has, the question will be if somebody makes an offer and they want to go. I think Doc is too important to go - you do need to have some cover you know!!! Francis won't get what he is on here and Solley gets injured and his Charlto career could take off. Benson will not be happy not even being on the bench but it is again a question of who can afford him - I think all three will stay. Powell will be happy that they stay.

The money we get for Elliot can be useful as it may mean that when required we can get that little bit better loan player in if we need a push. I think the squad is the right size at th emoment with a lot of quality in reserve and we don't want to overload it with people who are going to be frustrated because they can't play.  

• Options
    got to hand it to you Mutley - you do like to drop one in occassionally - 'Francis Charlton career could take off'....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What sort of transfer fee are we talking for him?
  • Options
    Is this actually a goer or just some fan site making up sh1t?
  • Options
    The fee is all guess work at the mo, I really don't think he's worth over £200k
  • Options
    Still not on the Os?
  • Options
    I reckon they'll do the old, he's gone but look who we've brought in like has been done a couple of times in pre-season.
  • Options
    I reckon they'll do the old, he's gone but look who we've brought in like has been done a couple of times in pre-season.
    Why would they need to? Been clear he's most likely to be off for ages, they'll just mention the contract situation
  • Options
    Because they know Charlton fans love a moan up, but if he goes and they unveil a striker and a centre-back it may shut one or two up. I'm just guessing anyway.
  • Options
    I guess there must be a few fans out there who don't read message boards or sports columns often so may come as a bit of a surprise to some.
  • Options
    Good luck to Robbie. Came across as a nice bloke at the sponsors dinner and he's one of us. Probably won't get another chance like this in his career so he's gotta make the most of it.
  • Options
    Is this actually a goer or just some fan site making up sh1t?

sure i saw it in a paper this morning as being done
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck to him.  Even if he sits on bench up there , he will be attached to a prem club and therefore his carrier is on the up. Well done to all involved with the youth set up Shelvey,Jensen and Elliot all sold to Prem.
  • Options
    Sky are saying its still speculation on their transfer news webiste.....but reported in Times and Daily Mail....also mentoined on Twitter and Facebook....but nothing concrete and I think they all feeding off each other......I guess if he is going to go it'll be today as CP holds his press conferences normally on Thursdays (I think) and he could announce it then I suppose.....maybe with an incoming player(s) at the same time!
  • Options
    Pardew is brain dead. Why the hell would he choose Elliot and Krul over Fraser Forster?
  • Options
    Pardew is brain dead. Why the hell would he choose Elliot and Krul over Fraser Forster?
    Agreed I think Fraser Forster is an excellent keeper
  • Options
    Can't quite believe they are getting rid of Foster, he looked a shoe-in to replace Harper as No. 2 if not challenge Krul for No.1.
  • Options
    Forster is ambitious and doesn't wanna sit on the bench even if it is a premiershi club.

Elliot obviously is going for the wages and the attraction of the premier league - Dont blame him to be honest.

Good luck rob.
  • Options
    Nile Ranger on a season long loan in return anyone?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Picked this up off the Northen Echo about 5 minutes ago-:

However, while the Magpies are expected to make one signing today with
    Charlton goalkeeper Rob Elliot due to move to the North-East to replace
    Celtic-bound Fraser Forster, there is unlikely to be
    any movement on a new striker ahead of the weekend.

The Magpies have wasted no time in securing a replacement, as they
    were last night tying up the loose ends of Elliot's move from the
    Valley.
    The 25-year-old worked with Newcastle's goalkeeping coach, Andy
    Woodman, when he was employed in south London, and has made more than
    100 senior appearances for the Addicks.

He has been between the sticks in all of Charlton's league games this
    season, helping them to the top of League One courtesy of three
    successive victories.

Looks as though the move may well be going ahead.

• Options
    100% nailed on according to daily mail.
  • Options
    Well, I guess he's always dreamed of playing in a reserve team in the depressed post-industrial wasteland that is the north east for a team with a bunch of fans who make Leeds look like a model of humility and clearsightedness.

Having said that I always liked Robbie since he came on after Nicky Weavers 3rd minute sending off at Home Park.

Good luck to a man who did his best.