Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot (Signed for Newcastle for Undisclosed Fee)

Comments

• Options
    not so sure that we're in financial dire straits

In comparison to where we were back in 2004/5 (or whenever Parker left) we are!

Slater/Jiminez have secured the debt but we are still a long way from being out of the woods, we can only afford to spend money on core 1st team activities (to secure promotion) and can't even find the dough to fix that bloody Charlton Athletic badge on the back of the stand. Or the potholes in the carpark. Or to clean the seats!

• Options

Slater/Jiminez have secured the debt but we are still a long way from being out of the woods, we can only afford to spend money on core 1st team activities (to secure promotion) and can't even find the dough to fix that bloody Charlton Athletic badge on the back of the stand. Or the potholes in the carpark. Or to clean the seats!

all part of the smokescreen to stop other clubs hiking their prices! - seriously though i understand what your saying but don't think dire straits is correct and personally i'm thinking he's been pushed rather than he's jumped
  • Options

The bottom line is that we don't need three full time keepers,

What an excellent point. Robbie must be clairvoyant to have realised that was going to be the case and that he would get a chance in the Premiership to get out of his comfort zone. Good job, he didn't sign that contract.
  • Options

You mean apart from the overhaul of the scouting network and youth training staff?
  • Options
    Elliot definitely played his part in this deal regardless of what Robbie might try and say to fans via Twitter. A move to Newcastle was mentioned way back in April in some corridors. I don't blame him for trying to get better wages but I think he wants the best of everything by getting the move and deflecting any criticism from fans of the club he supports. Robbie made requests of the club that he knew we couldn't meet and although that's within his rights, I refuse to believe he hadn't been told he could get what he wanted elsewhere, namely Newcastle. This sort of thing happens all the time. No big shame and only the fan issue is what clouds it a little. Like I said, good luck to him. He could need it under Pardew!
  • Options

You mean apart from the overhaul of the scouting network and youth training staff?

Fair enough, but the vast majority of available funds have been put into strengthening the 1st team squad in order to secure promotion, I don't think there can be much doubt about that.

Bringing in Paul Hart etc. will have cost a fair bit of dough - but will reap dividends in the future - but the main point I am making is that in 2004/5 we could afford to turn down 10 million for Parker because we did not really need the money.

In our current situation we simply cannot afford to lose out on the 500K (or whatever the amount is) that we will get for Elliot whilst he is under contract.

That money is really important to us because it enables us to strengthen in other areas whereas back in 2004/5 that sort of figure - although still a lot of money - was almost inconsequential because of the huge TV revenues we had coming in.

• Options
    I'd go without a second thought if I was Robbie a 6ft 3lb fat bastard.

;o)

Realistically though £10k a week from less than £5k a week see ya!
  • Options

And the new big screen.
  • Options
    So apart from sacking PP, appointing SCP, bringing in Jeff Vetere and Paul Hart. A new fitness coach, sixteen decent quality players and a big screen ..... What has Slater and JIminez ever done for us ?
  • Options

can't think he'll be getting £8 or £10k a week as 3rd choice would he? My bet is he wasn't going to be nr.1 this year, didn't get the contract offer he wanted here and therefore has accepted the interest from Newcastle. I'm only guessing and of course i might be wrong, particularly if Newcastle can throw that sort of money about on squad goalkeepers  

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    he just branded the 8k rumour as and i quote '  absoloute bollocks'  
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    he just branded the 8k rumour as and i quote '  absoloute bollocks'  

Whatever he has asked for doesnt fit our current wage structure.

Personally think this is going to get messy. Would leave him out on Saturday.
  • Options
    Well then Elliot will then sign the deal on the table then?

You have to wonder why a devoted Charlton support like 'Robbie' won't sign
  • Options
    Well then Elliot will then sign the deal on the table then?

You have to wonder why a devoted Charlton support like 'Robbie' won't sign

Suspect it isnt on the table anymore.
  • Options

can't think he'll be getting £8 or £10k a week as 3rd choice would he? My bet is he wasn't going to be nr.1 this year, didn't get the contract offer he wanted here and therefore has accepted the interest from Newcastle. I'm only guessing and of course i might be wrong, particularly if Newcastle can throw that sort of money about on squad goalkeepers  

With Pardew involved, nothing would surprise me!
  • Options
    Well then Elliot will then sign the deal on the table then? You have to wonder why a devoted Charlton support like 'Robbie' won't sign
    because he'll be getting significantly more being nr 2 or 3 at newcastle than he will being nr 2 or 3 at Charlton? seems reasonable enough to me 
  • Options
    Now saying on twitter that he agreed to take a pay cut but couldnt agree......whatever that means?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    So a pay cut but not enough of a pay cut?

I'm confused... why would he be taking a cut? Surely he means he cut his demand on his new contract.

The whole thing stinks to be honest and it's probably best for all concerned if we get a decent fee, Robbie gets an opportunity and a pay rise and we all ride off into the sunset.
  • Options

to be fair , i dont think he will go in the end - with the fans singing his name on saturday and possibly tuesday , i think he will change his mind on going . and stay!

• Options
    Maybe he's on 5k now, offered to go down to 4k but we said 2.5k max?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A great example of a rumour becoming fact in people's minds.
  • Options
    All very weird. He is being very jovial about it on twitter. Does stink a bit of "please dont hate me".

Personally think he should be keeping schtum about it as as much as his comments appear light-hearted, they are a dig at the stories coming out of the club.

Eventually he is going to piss the wrong person off and hang himself.
  • Options
    Have to say, I trust the person who told me the 8K thing a lot more than Robbie.

Whenevers they've mentioned stuff in the past, it's happened.
  • Options
    Robbie wants to play prem league!
    Good luck and all the best picking the ball out of the Geordie net!
    Championscomemay
  • Options
    you reckon the toon will win the prem tel?
  • Options
    Goodluck to him I say. What's wrong with wanting to further your career? He won't be a footballer forever and probably wants to make as much as possible and why not?

Can't understand why people get so worked up and give him stick on twitter. Really gets my goat.
  • Options
    No way would be currently be on £5k.
  • Options

Not a complete surprise as it was rumoured some time ago that the Toon was beckoning.

Will be sorry to see him go though, mainly because he 's Charlton through & through and very approachable as far as fans are concerned.

However, good luck to him if a move is in his best interests - just wouldn't want to see him permanently warming that cold bench up north.

• Options
    Seeing the banter going on between Elliot and Jackson just drives home how little we as fans actually know how the game operates, despite the few snippets that fall our way.

Whatever the real situation is, his skipper doesn't seem to have any problem with it. Not only do these guys know the actual game to a slightly greater degree than any of us will, they know the game surrounding it 100% better than fans will ever understand.
  • Options
    Seeing the banter going on between Elliot and Jackson just drives home how little we as fans actually know how the game operates, despite the few snippets that fall our way.

Whatever the real situation is, his skipper doesn't seem to have any problem with it. Not only do these guys know the actual game to a slightly greater degree than any of us will, they know the game surrounding it 100% better than fans will ever understand.

that's way too reasonable!