Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rob Elliot (Signed for Newcastle for Undisclosed Fee)

Comments

• Considering Rob has confirmed on twitter he never asked for 8k but offered to take a pay cut I think certaaain people on CL need to come clean as to who their reliable source was at the club who came up with the 8k bullshit and who quite happy to have a go at me when I told them it so.
  • Considering Rob has confirmed on twitter he never asked for 8k but offered to take a pay cut I think certaaain people on CL need to come clean as to who their reliable source was at the club who came up with the 8k bullshit and who quite happy to have a go at me when I told them it so.
    Have to agree with Beds here, spill the beans!
  • Three weeks ago, after signing Hamer, very few people on this site seemed to give a sh*t whether he stayed or went.  Three games in, he's played well and his involvement or otherwise in the move is being seen as a sort of compromised loyalty.  I'll be sorry to see him go, but bring on Hamer.
  • has he gone yet ?
    Spot on
  • First choice at CAFC playing for real points with a good home crowd, or 3rd choice at Newcastle playing meaningless games in front of half a dozen people. Money would be the decider, hey? Coin it while you can..........
  • Got a feeling he wants to stay and try and keep his place in the 1st team - OK he will get more money at NUFC but there's something exciting going on here that he could well want to be part of.

It may the club that are in a dilemma - Hamer's been brought in as he's seen to be the better keeper but Elliot is part of the winning team and playing OK so, if he wants to stay, does the club say 'OK, great' or 'Thanks for that, Rob, but you'll  be better off elsewhere'.   

• Got a feeling he wants to stay and try and keep his place in the 1st team - OK he will get more money at NUFC but there's something exciting going on here that he could well want to be part of. 

I get the feeling that he isn't in the long-term plans and this could be a once in a lifetime chance to earn some serious money. He is a league one goalkeeper.
  • Yes, not many have mentioned that Robbie doesn't have to leave- from his perspective his best option is probably to see out his contract. It's the club who would want him to leave for a decent fee or re-sign. Sure we can loan out a keeper amyway so having 3 keepers isn't too much of an issue, in fact it makes for one less headache for Powell if we get a keeping injury - often when you loan a keeper you are under pressure to play them - that wont be the case this season.
  • Yes, not many have mentioned that Robbie doesn't have to leave- from his perspective his best option is probably to see out his contract. It's the club who would want him to leave for a decent fee or re-sign. 
    Why is it in Elliot's best option to see out his contract if there is a big money offer on the table from Newcastle?

Of course we cannot force him to leave no, but if a bid is accepted for him it is almost certain he will go.
  • Sponsored links:

It might be football fans just making up lies and other football fans taking the metaphorical "bloke in the pub's" view as absolute gospel, without exercising any thought.
    Seeing the banter going on between Elliot and Jackson just drives home how little we as fans actually know how the game operates, despite the few snippets that fall our way. Whatever the real situation is, his skipper doesn't seem to have any problem with it. Not only do these guys know the actual game to a slightly greater degree than any of us will, they know the game surrounding it 100% better than fans will ever understand.
    Excellent post.  And Twitter is only one forum.  They'll chat and call each other.  Fans pick up or invent snippets and base lifetime opinions on them.  I wonder how many would like to be judged themselves on the basis of unfounded rumours churned out by people that have never met them.
  • I would have thought it was obvious why it could be in his best interests to stay - he didn't sign because he didn't want to take a significant pay cut (who woul). That pay cut would be from next season as he is still under his old contract this season. He would be joining Newcastle as possibly 3rd choice when he is in the shop window playing for what looks to be a good team this season in Charlton. When his reputation grows with a successful season he will be in a greater bargaining position and will be able to negotiate a tasty signing on fee if he leaves as well as ensure he is higher up the pecking order wherever he goes. Seems quite straightforward to me.

I would guess the Newcastle offer is probably a couple of K a week mor ethan his existing contrcat so that would be the only reason for moving North and there would be a real risk of his career going backwards. Not the no brainer some would seem to suggest is it? 

•  

I get the feeling that he isn't in the long-term plans and this could be a once in a lifetime chance to earn some serious money. He is a league one goalkeeper.

agree and good luck to him
  • I'm amazed that because one person says that a Club insider told them that Robbie was after 8k pw then most believe that as being true and frankly I don't care who that poster was. Even if told that I'm sure the Club insider didn't want it made public or maybe they did and wanted to see if the person they told could be trusted, which they can't. I don't believe anything I'm told, I learnt that after Muzza told me and a hundred others that Parky was to be sacked and he wasn't.
  • It’s laughable that people say Rob Elliott couldn’t have asked for 8k because he said so on Twitter. Would someone show where in the world, in the history of football a player has come out and said to there own supporters ‘I didn’t sign the contract because they didn’t offer me enough money’. It’s never going to happen.
    I was told by 2 separate people that I would trust 100% within Charlton that he had asked for a ridicules amount one of which gave an actual figure. Now I’m not saying I blame Elliott for going in and asking for a big amount, what would be the point of him going in and not asking for more money? That’s why it’s called negotiations, because it’s very unlikely you’re going to get the original amount you ask for whatever job you’re in. Maybe he already knew there was interest from Newcastle and what they were prepared to pay, so why wouldn’t you go in tell them if you want to keep me it’s X amount?

I say good luck to the fella, you’re not a footballer for very long so why not milk it for all you can and I’m sure he’ll continue to give 100% while he’s with us.
  • Robbie is one of us wherever he plays. Anybody giving him stick on twitter or anywhere else is a ********. I feel like going on their twitter accounts and giving them stick! He has to look after himself and is a good decent bloke. My 10 year old son who is a budding keeper looks up to him and I'm very pleased about that - I think he is an excellent role model. Wherever he ends up - and I hope he stays with us- I'll be wishing him the best. 
  • For the record I never said it must be true. I was told something that by someone that I trust 100% that doesn't mean to say that everyone has to believe it as true.
    There's a who site full of bullsh*t made up rumours, infact look at the Rumours thread for a load more. Whether people choose to believe it or not is there own prerogative.

It had nothing to do with whether people could be trusted or it should be kept a secret. It was said infront of 4 or 5 people some of which post on here.
  • What if this was the start of the negotiation:

CAFC "Ok Robbie, you're on £4k/ week at the moment.  On your next contract we have to get that in line in case we are still in this poxy division, so we will offer £2k per week basic."

RE "Oh come on, you can't be serious, I might as well ask for £8k then...."
  • That's what I'm trying to get at. If he was on say 4k a week why wouldn't you walk in and say I want 8k a week? What's the worse they can say, no we'll give you 5k?
  • robbie will obviously be factoring in a 'signing on fee' with charlton and rather than the lump sum of £2.50 £250k that he may think he is worth he would receive it thru a contract in a higher salary

anyway thanks for your help , good luck rob in the future

• Sponsored links:

• That's what I'm trying to get at. If he was on say 4k a week why wouldn't you walk in and say I want 8k a week? What's the worse they can say, no we'll give you 5k?
    Perhaps, but as he's come from the youth team I reckon he would probably only be on £2k a week or so, asking for £8k is a bit ambitious! As for your previous post, although a player isn't going to admit to anything, most people would believe them more than a fan on a forum. I think AFKA is spot on regarding the games being played.
  • edited August 2011
    You could be right - I suppose it's down to gut feeling rather than facts. Flanagan's star was rising at that time and as Hales said - it takes 2 to fight. When Flanagan was off, Hales was soon forgiven.
  • And if Robbie doesn't ask for a transfer, he gets his 10% of the fee also - don't forget!!!!!!
  • Opps, I responded in the wrong thread - I'll get my coat!
  • It’s laughable that people say Rob Elliott couldn’t have asked for 8k because he said so on Twitter. Would someone show where in the world, in the history of football a player has come out and said to there own supporters ‘I didn’t sign the contract because they didn’t offer me enough money’. It’s never going to happen.
    I was told by 2 separate people that I would trust 100% within Charlton that he had asked for a ridicules amount one of which gave an actual figure. Now I’m not saying I blame Elliott for going in and asking for a big amount, what would be the point of him going in and not asking for more money? That’s why it’s called negotiations, because it’s very unlikely you’re going to get the original amount you ask for whatever job you’re in. Maybe he already knew there was interest from Newcastle and what they were prepared to pay, so why wouldn’t you go in tell them if you want to keep me it’s X amount?

I say good luck to the fella, you’re not a footballer for very long so why not milk it for all you can and I’m sure he’ll continue to give 100% while he’s with us.

More importantly Chris Powell said publicly that Robbie's wage demands would not be out of place in the prem, then again I suppose he's lying as well....
  • i was told that when he first broke into the team, when we were flogging anything we could to bring in cash he was on a basic £200 a week although obviously on performance bonuses. How true that is i don't know but couldn't have been a lavish lifestyle before he made the first team. I have no problem with him at all and just feel he's being replaced and can get better reserve money elsewhere - fair enough. 
  • edited August 2011
    It is strange when the Manager says something and the player something completely different. Maybe the original request (that Powell compared to the Premier League) happened some time ago and since then Rob has reduced his requests to something that he considers a pay cut. Maybe Rob was referring to the change from the deal Bexley Dan described which had a £5k appreance, I believe - his contract when he was a teenager in the Premier League.

Maybe one of them is lying, but I don't see any benefit in blaming either of them. The truth is that he is worth more to someone else than we are going to be able to justify paying him. With just a year left it is somewhat obvious that he will take the higher mnoney in the end, and if we can benefit from allowing him to have that money a year earlier then it makes sense to me.

I really don't get why so many people on this forum keep sniping at each other!
  • I think a lot of supporters focus on a player earning or asking for x a week when they don't understand how x can be constructed. There are so many variables, such as basic wage, starting xi increase, signing on fee, annual loyalty lump etc. It's never just as simple as just x a week.

Whatever the actual is is irrelevant. Robbie has asked for a contract that the club for one reason or another are not prepared to offer. That's the bottom line.
  • Kings Hill is right. At one stage Robbie was on a very, very low basic wage but a massive appearance fee. Robbie playing was costing the Club. To his credit he did in effect take a pay cut by agreeing to a higher basic and a much lower appearance fee. If he's trying to get a better deal now then why not ?
  • And over the last 2 seasons we could afford to offer him a £3k clean sheet bonus, as we knew with that crap defence that we would ship in goals, so he'd never actually get it. However, we've now had to take this bonus away due to now having competent defenders in front of him.

This is a fact that was told to me last week when i was out drinking with Slater and the mystery backers.............