Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rob Elliot (Signed for Newcastle for Undisclosed Fee)

Comments

• ive said it before and i'll say it again , we wont get promoted with elliot as our regular keeper , he isn't good enough for a promotion chasing team

i don't want any passengers this season

good luck robbie wherever you end up

• You think that just because Newcastle are a prem side they would pay over the odds for a 3rd tier player in the last year of contract knowing he's unlikely to sign a new deal and that his club have 2 other senior keepers on their books? Don't think even Pardew is thick enough to do that.
  • So Powell lied to us on Thursday when he said there had been no contact.. as bid was rejected on Wednesday. Not his fault as he wasn't allowed to say anything, just makes you realise that when we get told things like this in the future it means nothing as they cant tell us the truth anyway!
  • edited August 2011
    If we can get a combined 500k for Elliot, Benson and Francis then I would be happy.

As long as it's reinvested in the squad.
  • edited August 2011
    Now its out in the open.....what do we now do with 3 Senior keepers....Hamer and sullivan must be 'bemused' by it all I guess......1 of the 3 is not going to be happy thats for sure.....I wonder now if CP should place Rob on the list.....and have Hamer and Sullivan fight it out for the keeprs jersey......either that or loan out one of the 3......with no reserve matches to speak of and only 'friendlies' if we can arrange them...lack of match practice would be a concern for me.
    Maybe its time to say goodbye to Rob...thank him for his time here and let him go with our best wishes.....after all next year he can walk away if he wants to for nothing!
  • I am not a fan of Elliot, but he has the jersey right now, looks pretty solid, and 100k is peanuts.

Pardew is writing-off millions over his silly row with Barton - yet he is trying to get RE on the cheap - tosspot.

Let's just forget it and get on with our season.
  • So Powell lied to us on Thursday when he said there had been no contact.. as bid was rejected on Wednesday. Not his fault as he wasn't allowed to say anything, just makes you realise that when we get told things like this in the future it means nothing as they cant tell us the truth anyway!

Not necessarily.

Vetere or whoever may have rejected the bid as derisory before even mentioning it to Powell.

Powell has said that he likes Robbie and the fact that he has been selected ahead of Sullivan would lend credence to that so why bother Powell with a joke bid?

• I'd would have bitten their hands off.
  • You think that just because Newcastle are a prem side they would pay over the odds for a 3rd tier player in the last year of contract knowing he's unlikely to sign a new deal and that his club have 2 other senior keepers on their books? Don't think even Pardew is thick enough to do that.
    when we were a prem and champ side and pardew was at the helm we were lobbing the odd half a million around all over the place for unknown muppets who had never even played at league 1 standard so anything's possible and if out of the whole league, Elliot is the man they want then they must rate him and see that potentially he could play in the first team (however infrequently) otherwise it is pointless them signing him
  • Sounds like we are dealing with a right schister here, and i don't mean Robbie.
  • Sponsored links:

when we were a prem and champ side and pardew was at the helm we were lobbing the odd half a million around all over the place for unknown muppets who had never even played at league 1 standard so anything's possible and if out of the whole league, Elliot is the man they want then they must rate him and see that potentially he could play in the first team (however infrequently) otherwise it is pointless them signing him

Ashley's wallet doesn't seem to be opening much at the moment, trying to get Barton off wage bill so they're not gonna be splashing it about willy nilly.

This saga could drag on and resurrect itself in Jan, really think it would've been better for the squad to have begrudgingly accepted and got everything done and dusted now.

• Agree with Bexley Dan - Pardew is definitely that thick. He is a history of paying way over the odds for far worse players than Rob Elliot.
  • http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=386&fid=185&sty=2&act=1&mid=2116583093

What the Geordies think ................................

lol ... some of them have sussed Pardew out
  • Agree with Bexley Dan - Pardew is definitely that thick. He is a history of paying way over the odds for far worse players than Rob Elliot.
    But he clearly isn't as they bid £100k and said they wouldn't be offering anymore.
  • I think 350,000 would be a good offer for a first choice English goalkeeper, who's only 25 and playing in league 1. 500k is a bit too much IMO but 300-350k mark I think is fair.
    Especially when you consider Ashley paid £150,000 A WEEK for Micheal Owen!
  • 100k would not buy Floyd the mascot .................put another 0 on the end and maybe ....but thats an insult
  • http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=386&fid=185&sty=2&act=1&mid=2116583093

What the Geordies think ................................

Shows a different world with 100k being described as "less than peanuts".
  • I'd have accepted it - I can't get all sentimental over him just cause he supports Charlton as well, he's an o.k keeper but we already have better at the club, personally think he will still be gone before the window shuts, maybe not there, but somewhere
    How do you know that we've got better, Millwalls 3rd choice & Readings 3rd choice. They may be better but how often have you been watching them to make such a statement
  • I think 350,000 would be a good offer for a first choice English goalkeeper, who's only 25 and playing in league 1. 500k is a bit too much IMO but 300-350k mark I think is fair. Especially when you consider Ashley paid £150,000 A WEEK for Micheal Owen!
    I would agree if he had 3 years to go on his contract but he doesn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• If we could get what we paid for Hamer, I would be happy. I have a feeling that when Hamer's fully fit he'll be No1.
  • Geordies football fans are deluded idiots! They actually think that they are a top club, when they are far from it. They are never happy, even though Ashley bailed them out big time, they still slag him off. Most Geordies are decent people, but Newcastle fans are total twats! Still think Rob will go there though - even at number 2 or 3.
    But he clearly isn't as they bid £100k and said they wouldn't be offering anymore.
    Think you're being a bit naive there mate. Just to give you one of many, many examples, Charlton had a bid turned down for Rhoys Wiggins in the summer and publicly stated that they were going to look elsewhere. Who does Rhoys Wiggins play for now?! There's a vast difference between what people say and what people do, in football more than anywhere.
  • Football fans always think wages are somehow free, Talal and the only measure of the club's spending is transfer fees.  That said, 100k is not on.
  • Robbie ain't going no where just yet

Good i say

Pardew is taking the P***
  • If we could get what we paid for Hamer, I would be happy. I have a feeling that when Hamer's fully fit he'll be No1.
    The problem is i really don't know how good Hamer is , whether he is better than Robbie , lets assume he comes in to start ahead of Robbie  has 1 or 2 shaky games , which wouldn't be unusual , there would be uproar on here , about why we'd signed him , would he be given time to settle by the fans?

Do you think Newcastle will come back in with a 'revised offer' is this a game of bluff , or are they mucking us around?

The whole thing needs to be handled right , Pardew is taking the mickey with his bid , as someone said the fee is low probably because of the wages being offered to Robbie , Robbie needs to be careful or he could end up in the reserves.
  • It's naive to think that after coming in with an opening offer of £100k, this offer will suddenly turn into something very much more tempting if we reject it. If Newcastle were to make another offer (which I think is unlikely otherwise why make a public statement about it all and not just keep quiet?) then they won't just increase it by over 100% because they're supposedly thick. Think some people have been playing football manager too much.

• Rob's wages will be about £150k - £200k for the rest of the season including bonuses, so if we took £100k now for him, thats £300k in the clubs pocket. If we don't sell him and he sits on the bench - lets face Hamer will start soon, then we have to pay his wages whilst he isn't playing and then get nothing for him........ no brainer, he has to go now even for £100k.
  • It's naive to think that after coming in with an opening offer of £100k, this offer will suddenly turn into something very much more tempting if we reject it. If Newcastle were to make another offer (which I think is unlikely otherwise why make a public statement about it all and not just keep quiet?) then they won't just increase it by over 100% because they're supposedly thick. Think some people have been playing football manager too much.

Talal , i agree with your last sentence , but i think they will bid again , if they have made up their mind they want another keeper , they'll be hard pushed to find one as good for this kind of money.
  • Think they will come back with other offer as I have known of their interest for a couple of months but they were waiting for Forster to leave before making an offer. Harper is 36 and injury prone and Woodman and Pardew think highly of Robbie, 100k was just being silly though. However I am sure other clubs will also be interested too so can't see him being here come September 1st.