Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rob Elliot (Signed for Newcastle for Undisclosed Fee)

Comments

• We all have our opinions - the fact is the club thought £100k was a rubbish offer. Those that rate Elliot think it should be significantly higher - those that don't not so much higher - we will agree to differ. All that really matters is what Chrissy thinks of Elliot and from what I can see - he currently rates him as our number 1. 
  • All this demonstrates is that Pardew is incapable of keeping his big mouth shut and engaging his brain before talking (as though we didn't know that already) - it would appear that he has also passed on this affliction to some of his players at Newcastle. I presume someone has told Robbie to lay off Twitter for a few weeks/months?
  • This situation has shown Chris Powells first major mistake as manager. Obviously when Robbie turned down his new contract (or talks of a new contract)Powelly thought he would be off & decided that we would need a replacement & hence brought Hamer in.................but Robbie has decided to stay & so has left Powell with not only egg on his face but 3 first choice keepers (not forgetting 2 youngsters already out on loan)

Powell would have been best waiting to see what transpired instead of rushing off and signing up Hamer ..............Robbie has consistanly said that he loves it here (he is a fan after all) and it not looking to move.

this looks like it is going to run & run................
  • Rob's wages will be about £150k - £200k for the rest of the season including bonuses, so if we took £100k now for him, thats £300k in the clubs pocket. If we don't sell him and he sits on the bench - lets face Hamer will start soon, then we have to pay his wages whilst he isn't playing and then get nothing for him........ no brainer, he has to go now even for £100k.
    Completely agree, even if his wages were only £75-£100k for the season it would be worth it.
  • Wouldnt begrudge the fella if he went at all. Not many of us were tipping him to be first choice for us this season, now he could have a chance of appearing in the Premier League in front of some of the most fervent supporters in the country.

Not to mention the treble/quadrupled wages!

Good luck Robbie, whatever you decide to do.
  • Given that they're sloshing in Carroll/TV money I think it's worth saying that we'd rather keep our player until the end of the season if such paltry compensation is on offer. 

Still, not sure why so many are absolutely convinced that Hamer/Sullivan will be so much better: unless they've been watching Reading/Milwall 3rds we've not seen a lot of these players.  I'm not saying it's wrong, just that we don't have the evidence at the moment.

• This situation has shown Chris Powells first major mistake as manager. Obviously when Robbie turned down his new contract (or talks of a new contract)Powelly thought he would be off & decided that we would need a replacement & hence brought Hamer in.................but Robbie has decided to stay & so has left Powell with not only egg on his face but 3 first choice keepers (not forgetting 2 youngsters already out on loan)

Powell would have been best waiting to see what transpired instead of rushing off and signing up Hamer ..............Robbie has consistanly said that he loves it here (he is a fan after all) and it not looking to move.

Robbie doesn't want to be painted as the bad guy in all this by the charlton fans , i'm sure he doesn't want to leave on bad terms , just do the decent thing and give us half a million Pardew , remember we wouldn't be in this division if it weren't for you.
  • McLovin I think it's unlikely that both Hamer and Sullivan wouldn't at least be equal to Eliott in ability. Sullivan was generally praised last season in his short spell and many people wanted him to start the season in goal. Hamer has had excellent reviews from fans of Brentford and Exeter. Had Hamer not got the injury just after signing and getting the no.1 shirt I'm sure he would've started against Bournemouth.
  • Could be wrong, but I reckon he'll still go there, probably for somewhere between £150k and £175k, which I think is a fair price in our current circumstances.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Powell might have made his first mistake last season. As for having 3 keepers - it makes a lot of sense now that you can always have one on the bench. If you have 2 and one gets injured you have got to find another one -which can be a distraction and clubs will tend to want you to play that keeper so that can be another issue in relation to keeping your keepers happy. If you have 3 you loan one out with a clause so that you can bring them back when needs be - not a mistake at all.
  • just 3 weeks elliot was given the 44 shirt and was considered by most as our 3rd choice keeper.

Personally, i would have took that £100k all day long and used it towards % wages for a possible loan of a CB or CF.

but then im not CP so what i think dont really matter.

• as Powell has said, he went into the market to cover himself - we are in a position of strength here and our new financial position will serve to ensure we don't get had over here. Players are now bought and sold on our terms now and i'm sure we'll be prepared to let Robbie see out his last year as number 2 rather than let him go fora  figure we're not happy with. Wasn't it Pardew who paid £400k for Thierry Racon from a third division french side and paid him £8k a week just to sit in the reserves in the championship?

• edited August 2011
    Robbie is not the bad guy here, he is just trying to do what any of us would do in this situation and that is improve our position and earn more money. I really think that the club should cut their losses and let him go. Good luck to him - the minute he has a bad game for us he will be dropped anyway...
  • Pardew is a prick for going back on an alledged agreement between the clubs re talking abt the bid, but...is it right that we went public abt Robbies contract situation when there was absolutely no reason to do so?

We've been trying to flog the geezer for weeks. A bit of negotiation with Newcastle and he'll be gone.

I'm not his biggest fan as a player, but he's clearly a good lad, so good luck to him. Let's get them up to £250k and move on...
  • Alan Pardew can poke his £100,000 up his arse.
    I think you mean nose! ;o)
  • If we're reporting that smug git for poor conduct over the bid, maybe we should sue him too - familiar compensation of about a million should do it! While we're at it we can ask him why he signed Luke Varney* for £2 million and didn't notice his strike partner at Crewe - Nicky Maynard.

*Not knocking Varney who always gace his all

• Alan Pardew can poke his £100,000 up his arse.

I agree with this. Wouldn't let him go to Newcastle full stop now.
  • If anyone has got £100,000 they were thinking of poking up AP's ar*e, could they please give it to me (before insertion preferably, but I'm not too fussy about it).
  • Rob will know that 100k is a joke so surely his only problem will be with Newcastle. Maybe in January 100k will be more realistic as its closer to end of his contract but for now, it is nowehere near the right priice. Also Robbie is current first choice here so may not be desperate to leave.

Expect him to play tomorrow and hopefully carry on his good form.

• Sponsored links:

• We all have our opinions - the fact is the club thought £100k was a rubbish offer. Those that rate Elliot think it should be significantly higher - those that don't not so much higher - we will agree to differ. All that really matters is what Chrissy thinks of Elliot and from what I can see - he currently rates him as our number 1. 
    Maybe CP doesn't rate Elliot as No1, Hamer may well have started the first game had he not been injured.

However Elliot has done nothing wrong and will be given the shirt I imagine unless CP uses the ' Elliot maybe isn't focused with all the speculation' routine that managers sometimes use.  
  • NPower League 1 banter page
    Charlton Athletic have reported Newcastle United to the Premier League after rejecting their offer for goalkeeper Rob Elliot.
    Published: 2011-08-19 15:38:00 GMT
  • pardew is such a prat ... taking the piss ... always free-spending when it was our money

agreed
  • big shock news about pardew being a canute... some people have short memories - cripes now I sound like Rothko ;)
  • A few things occur to me. Firstly it would seem that we are cross at Pardew because he has basically forced the club (Powell at the very least) to admit to the fans that we were lied to about a bid coming in. Suddenly I feel more inclined to believe Rob that he agreed to a new deal on lesser terms than believe Powell that his demands would not have been out of place in the Premier League. The first rule about lying is that you mustn't get caught.

The other thing that occurs to me is £100k for a goalkeeper that has made most of his apperances in the third division, and is in the last year of his contract is probably a decent offer. Add into that the fact that the club telegraphed the fact that he would be sold by (a) bringing in a replacement and (b) telling the whole world that he would be moved on rather than be allowed to leave for free the next year.

Basically I think the club have miscalculated. Clearly it made sense to bring in a replacement first so that we wouldn't be held to ransom on the replacement purchase, but with the Manager insisting that the player was being greedy and that we'd not had any offers for him, then having to backtrack and admit we had an offer but lied about it makes it look like the player is the innocent party in this situation. Even if he's not, none of us can possibly believe Powell now as he clearly lied about the offer. I don't care if it was someone else at the club that rejected the bid or not. As far as I'm concerned I will never be able to believe anything Chris Powell says if there is any kind of evidence suggesing otherwise.

Maybe we will be able to get more for Rob and maybe Pardew has always carried hiself in this fashion, but we now have a player that has a year left and has been accused of lying by the manager that has been proved to have lied to the fans.

This whole situation has been handled very badly as a PR exercise and complaining to the FA about it makes us look like spoiled children complaining to a teacher that our friend didn't keep a secret.
  • Powell made 100% the right decision to sign another keeper, what if Elliott is transferred on the last day of the window leaving us with only one senior & relatively untried keeper ? Better to have an extra keeper & deal with that problem surely.

Powell gave Robbie the choice of numbers, can't remember the exact detail but Robbie himself chose to take 44 rather than No.1

For all you who think it's a great opportunity for him to "play in the premiership in front of the fanatical toon army" you need to take a reality check. He would be joining as their 3rd choice goalkeeper replacing the previous 3rd choice who has just joined Celtic. They obviously know Robbie from their time at the Valley & he may well have appeared as the easy option. An ok goalkeeper for the reserves, Charlton are hard up & would be glad of 100k. The likelihood is, if their 2 senior keepers were injured they would probably appeal to the Premier league for permission to draft in another keeper just as man city did last year & Robbie still wouldn't get 1st team football. I hope he stays & signs a new contract but if he doesn't I think he'll end up moving to a championship club & fighting it out with the current No. 1 at that club.

• edited August 2011
    A few things occur to me. Firstly it would seem that we are cross at Pardew because he has basically forced the club (Powell at the very least) to admit to the fans that we were lied to about a bid coming in. Suddenly I feel more inclined to believe Rob that he agreed to a new deal on lesser terms than believe Powell that his demands would not have been out of place in the Premier League. The first rule about lying is that you mustn't get caught.

The other thing that occurs to me is £100k for a goalkeeper that has made most of his apperances in the third division, and is in the last year of his contract is probably a decent offer. Add into that the fact that the club telegraphed the fact that he would be sold by (a) bringing in a replacement and (b) telling the whole world that he would be moved on rather than be allowed to leave for free the next year.

Basically I think the club have miscalculated. Clearly it made sense to bring in a replacement first so that we wouldn't be held to ransom on the replacement purchase, but with the Manager insisting that the player was being greedy and that we'd not had any offers for him, then having to backtrack and admit we had an offer but lied about it makes it look like the player is the innocent party in this situation. Even if he's not, none of us can possibly believe Powell now as he clearly lied about the offer. I don't care if it was someone else at the club that rejected the bid or not. As far as I'm concerned I will never be able to believe anything Chris Powell says if there is any kind of evidence suggesing otherwise.

Maybe we will be able to get more for Rob and maybe Pardew has always carried hiself in this fashion, but we now have a player that has a year left and has been accused of lying by the manager that has been proved to have lied to the fans.

This whole situation has been handled very badly as a PR exercise and complaining to the FA about it makes us look like spoiled children complaining to a teacher that our friend didn't keep a secret.
    I'd hardly call Pardew a friend , didn't he 'sting' us for 1.5million when he left us in the doo doo?
  • Some good points, and that's probably why the offer is on the low side. Newcastle can afford to pay a bit more for a second/third choice keeper, they know that and so do Charlton.
  • A few things occur to me. Firstly it would seem that we are cross at Pardew because he has basically forced the club (Powell at the very least) to admit to the fans that we were lied to about a bid coming in. Suddenly I feel more inclined to believe Rob that he agreed to a new deal on lesser terms than believe Powell that his demands would not have been out of place in the Premier League. The first rule about lying is that you mustn't get caught.

I'd hardly call Pardew a friend , didn't he 'sting' us for 1.5million when he left us in the doo doo?
    Indeed, I wasn't suggesting that he was a friend, just makeing a comparision. Maybe I should have said 'that another kid in the class...'.

If anything it brings into question why we would ever trust Pardew to keep a secret in the first place. From what I read he is not spoken about as being terribly high on integrity.

• Putting the Elliott issue to one side.

Re the accusation that CP lied. As understand it, CP says no bid has come in, it subsequently emerges a bid has come in. Surely it is plausible that whilst CP was party to the decision to sell Elliott, he would not necessarily be in the loop re all the bids that subsequently come in. Why should CP negotiate the sale fee, he has plenty of other things to do. The board could take his advice initially as to a bracket for the sale fee, and then negotiate themselves, updating him every few days or when anything of significance occurs. Thus when asked has a bid come in, he could in all honesty & with no desire to mislead say no. 

The above may or may not represent what actually occurred. Until anyone knows otherwise perhaps it would fair not to accuse CP of lying and to assume he is genuine.