Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leon Cort

Comments

• Options
    feel sorry for Yado
    best for him in long term. get him out on loan in L2 (maybe Parky will take him at Bradford).

Sitting on our bench (at best) isn't going to help his development, and if he were thrown in to a game and it went wrong, it could destroy his confidence before he's ready.
  • Options
    feel sorry for Yado
    best for him in long term. get him out on loan in L2 (maybe Parky will take him at Bradford).

Sitting on our bench (at best) isn't going to help his development, and if he were thrown in to a game and it went wrong, it could destroy his confidence before he's ready.
    This (always wanted to say that)

Also I believe someone on here mentioned the cort signing about a week ago, another SLP exclusive revealed too late
  • Options
    Mambo is not ready to have an extended run in the team. The Doc is cover at best. We definitely need a cb.
  • Options
    Chris from Sidcup mentioned Cort last week. Scoop.
  • Options
    Sounds like they're in a similar position as we were in 3 seasons ago. The big difference is that they have a manager capable of re-building the team, we didn't.

Not really comparable, they would have spent more on Austin and Ings in transfer fees than Parky spent on fees during his entire spell as manager.

If you meant Pardew then fair enough, looking back our squad needed a lot more changes than he made that summer.
  • Options
    Mambo not ready ?? So when will he ever be ready?? He looked composed on tuesday against Reading so why not against league one sides and especially in a team that is winning .
    Of course he's ready.
    Let's spend the money on a striker instead of another defender.
  • Options
    I think we do need a centre back and I'd be really pleased with Cort
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    If true this has to be good news.

1. A player who was a year ago thought to be worth £1.5M
    2. Has experience and at a higher level
    3. More competition for places
    4. Definitely covers a position where we need backup.
  • Options
    Mambo not ready ?? So when will he ever be ready?? He looked composed on tuesday against Reading so why not against league one sides and especially in a team that is winning .
    Of course he's ready.
    Let's spend the money on a striker instead of another defender.
    Let's spend it on both.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    If true this has to be good news.

1. A player who was a year ago thought to be worth £1.5M
    2. Has experience and at a higher level
    3. More competition for places
    4. Definitely covers a position where we need backup.
    I concur with that Bingaddick.

A decent signing (if it happens).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IMHO Yado is not ready to play an extended role this season. Would appear that CP et al seem to agree. Would prefer him to go on loan in division two to get some games under his belt. Cort would be a good addition I think.
  • Options
    we've got a CB for free more a less which is good. so now we need to get another Striker

and yes mambo should get the nod ahead of Cort 
  • Options
    I don't get it.   We sign another player to strengthen the squad and people are worrying about individual players feelings.  The team is the most important thing and CP would be aware of any problems it might present to individuals if any. 

The fact is the Doc doesn't give confidence to most supporters and is carrying an injury right now and Mambo has still much to learn and prove.  Do some people really want to take a risk by not having more and hopefully better cover.  CP had intimated that he still wanted another CB so why the shock horror.  

• Options
    Mambo would be better off proving he is ready by going out on loan than making the odd appearance here and there for us.

This time last year he didn't impress at Eastbourne. He's been ok in pre season and against Reading. That doesn't mean he's ready for a run of games in the league.

It'll be interesting to see what level he ends up at if he does go out on loan. If we sign Cort he surely will be loaned out.
  • Options
    How old is Mambo?
  • Options
    How old is Mambo?

18/19 I think, got a 1 year deal this summer because Powell wasn't sure about his ability which speaks volumes. I suppose he should be back up before Cort because he came from our youth team. Never mind the fact that he's nowhere near ready & that Cort has a wealth of experience & has played most of his carreer in higher divisions & 3 times has been transferred for a fee in excess of a million quid.

Some people need to open their eyes a bit more often

• Options
    Good signing.  Prone to the odd error, but you'll not get a CB at this level that's not.  Great for strength in depth.
  • Options
    Mambo would be better off proving he is ready by going out on loan than making the odd appearance here and there for us.

This time last year he didn't impress at Eastbourne. He's been ok in pre season and against Reading. That doesn't mean he's ready for a run of games in the league.

It'll be interesting to see what level he ends up at if he does go out on loan. If we sign Cort he surely will be loaned out.
    - Then again, Jenkinson was out on loan to a non-league club last year, and only made a few appearances, and look how high he is flying now!

...oh wait...
  • Options
    good cover, was in the prem not too long ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good signing and frees up the funds to push for another striker.

Two more signings required now, assuming Benson is off which looks a given.
  • Options
    Many who are saying Mambo isn't ready are also championing Karly Osbourne, who this time last year wouldn't have been in many Bees supporter's 1st eleven. He excelled alongside the defensive calamity that is the Doc and just needs experience. All players make mistakes, only half a dozen games in and Morrison has a few to his name. I'm OK with Cort in if it means Doc goes to the back of the queue, he represents all that has gone wrong in this division.
  • Options
    Doc was once very good, Mambo might yet be very good, but at present both are at best decent. I don't know much about this Cort but he seems to be well thought of if the fees are to go by, and he's old enough to have experience and a bit of guile but not old enough to be past it. Won't waltz straight into the first team (possibly not even the bench) but will feature at some point this season without a doubt.
  • Options
    Be good in League 1.
    On another note.
    Wouldnt you just 8-2 be an Arsenal fan?
  • Options
    Can't believe people are saying we don't need him. Doc is dodgy at best and Mambo is a child. I know Cort hasn't done too well at Burnley but looking at his record he's looking pretty good. Promoted with Hull > player of the season for Palace > promotion with Stoke & record signing > relegated with (doomed) Burnley. He's a bit older now but that looks pretty good to me, apart from the Palace bit. Can surely do a job for us
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Good addition to the squad with first hand experience of the up and under game (an essential ingrediant in this division) whilst on the books of Southend and latterly Stoke. Would have him on the bench as first choice cover for the CBs especially away from home and agree with the view that maybe Mambo should be loaned out to a league 2 club to gain some much needed game time. Assuming Benson is off all we need now is another central striker.
  • Options

frees up funs. how do you know that we have not paid a couple hundred grand loan fee?
  • Options
    We may have paid a small fee but it would never be anything near 200 grand.
  • Options

frees up funs. how do you know that we have not paid a couple hundred grand loan fee?

Well I don't know that but I do know it would be the south side of stupid to pay £200k to loan a 31 year old CB who one club can' t wait to get rid of when we clearly baulked at paying a figure in that ball park for a permanent centre half. Therefore in comparison to say that big oaf from colchester we have spent very prudently on cort. There is no way any loan fee would be in six figures and I doubt even half that.

In that sense it frees up funds.
  • Options
    Reading the OS he had a good CV (Palace and Millwall excepted).