Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leon Cort

Comments

• Options
    Cort had a mare against us at Smellhurst playing alongside Hudson. Remember the Todorov goal? That was at Championship level and four seasons ago, so let's hope he's improved since then and more comfortable in Lg One. Should be the end of Doherty, with Mambo now at 4th choice.
  • Options
    For a good five minutes there I thought we were talking about Carl Cort. Or Jason Euell, as he's sometimes known.
    LOL
    Is that story really true?
  • Options
    For a good five minutes there I thought we were talking about Carl Cort. Or Jason Euell, as he's sometimes known.
    LOL

I think it's apochyphal - a bit like the "Bobby Hundreds" anecdote that did the rounds at the same time.
  • Options

I like Mambo and hope he continues to get opportunities in the team, especially in the cups (a good run in the JPT ould be good for some of our youngsters), but anyne who saw him play vs Shrewsbury last season would be nervous about having to rely on him for a run of important games.

I have a lot of time for Doc too as he has a great attitude but he just looks soooooo slow now - as long as the ball or the attacker comes striaght for him he's fine, but if he has to adjust position he's terribly vulnerable to even the most slightly nippy strikers. Fine to bring off the bench to help with a late aerial bombardment, I don't want to find him having to start vs Jordan Rhodes though, unless we're down to the bare bones. These are the kind of situations we need to be prepared for.

• Options
    From what I've heard LC isn't exactly what you'd call "quick" either.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with Taylor and Morrison, Cort is good cover for two very good League 1 CBs

This
  • Options

Good cover and the comments from the Preston board are positive. Taylor and Morrison have been excellent but they need competition and if one of them gets injured or loses form, Cort has shown in the league above he can do a job.

Was very impressed by Mambo last week but this will hopefully allow him to go on loan and get 15-20 games in a row under his belt.

• Options
    Hopefully CP and his team have done their homework on Carl Cort and it's difficult for any of us to try and second guess them, unless we happen to have seen the guy in action several times. He seems to have a decent enough pedigree and we most certainly need cover in this position, given the injuries and suspensions which we will inevitably suffer over the next 40 odd matches. 

I agree that it would make sense to get Mambo out on loan to a League 2 club if that proves possible. That would be the next logical step, especially as central defence is a classically difficult position for youngsters ( Richard Rufus being the honourable exception to the rule ).
  • Options
     Mambo is a child.
    He is older than Paul Elliott and Richard Rufus were when they made their league debuts for Charlton, so I don't think age comes into it. Is he good enough for League 1 - Yes he is and he will get only better  with experience. 
  • Options
    Maybe Mambo is ready, maybe he isn't. Does it matter? Although I haven't seen much of Cort I think it's unlikely that he isn't at least a bit better than Mambo, so surely the fact we've strengthened the squad can only be a positive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Look CP sees these guys every day , he obviously feels defence needs strengthening , which we've all gone on about , whose to say Mambo still won't break through?

The long and short of it is our defence is miles better than last season , and will get even better.
  • Options
    LOL
    just found it myself:

and this....about Euell's recent bankruptcy....I must have missed that!

sorry to go off topic!
  • Options
    According to my mate, We now have Cort on Loan, and according to him he is the "worst footballer i have ever seen", and that would be saying something from a Burnley fan... 

However, I think hes a decent signing as back-up defender. Could do far worse in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    According to my mate, We now have Cort on Loan, and according to him he is the "worst footballer i have ever seen", and that would be saying something from a Burnley fan... 

However, I think hes a decent signing as back-up defender. Could do far worse in my opinion.
    Sounds a bit like the hapless Paddy McCarthy who since he left us is a hero at Palace and has been a regular in their team.
  • Options

Your mate should have seen some of the shite that has been at The Valley for the last couple of seasons, he would soon change his tune!

Put it this way, there is no way Cort can be worse back-up that Docherty, the bloke looks about as mobile as a grounded 747 jumbo jet.

• Options
    Just asked a palace supporting mate and he said he'll do a good job. will chip in with the odd goal. warnock didn't fancy him as he wasn't aggressive enough. but overall we will like him.
  • Options
    CV suggests experience with a couple of promotions so surely makes sense to have him on board. Agree the current pair have done well so far though and would stick with them until circumstances dictste otherwise. Bury threw loads in towards the end and they dealt well with the barrage.
  • Options
    Teamed with an experienced 'old head' CB, Mambo played welll against Reading. But he lacks experience, which he can only get by getting a decent run of matches under his belt. Like others, initially I'd rather he did that loaned to another side. Hopefully he would then come back as a reliable squad player, ready to step up when needed.

Meanwhile, somebody like Leon Cort who has seen it all, already won promotions and higher league experience, and still mobile enough to do what's needed - is the type of CB that fits what a promotion hungry squad requires.
  • Options

I'm happy with this . We need 4 cb's now we have them . Agree with Oggy  Mambo needs games on loan somewhere hopefully in L2.

• Options
    Went over 6 years without being booked or sent off in a competitive game. Makes a change from Mr Sodje
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    have we had a player with less than 8 letters in their fore and surname?  Not including contractions like Ray or Andy?
  • Options
    have we had a player with less than 8 letters in their fore and surname?  Not including contractions like Ray or Andy?
    Post holiday blues - and just can't get started at work, Henry?

;o)
  • Options

lee cook
    (God i am busy)
  • Options
    Just the sort of thing I ponder on while driving for 8 hours in France, Oggy  : - )

I can only think of Tom Hovi (and the handbook gives his name as Tom not Thomas)
  • Options
    John Dunn?
    John Ryan?
  • Options
    John Dunn?
    John Ryan?
    both 8.  quite a few of those ie Mark Fish, Mark Reid but any with less?  Rob Lee would count if not for the "ert"
  • Options
    Lee Burn
  • Options
    John Dunn?
    John Ryan?
    both 8.  quite a few of those ie Mark Fish, Mark Reid but any with less?  Rob Lee would count if not for the "ert"
    LOL - that'll teach me not to read posts properly!
  • Options
    Ian King
  • Options
    Ian King
    For some reason he used Ian but his real name was John King