Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

40 + 40 x 0 + 1 =??? - to solve an office argument!!!

Comments

• Options
    272 posts...this topic is twice as interesting as whether we are signing Hogan Ephraim on loan.

FACT!!!
  • Options

40+40=80

80 X 0 = 0

0+1= 1

It's still 1 and no Clever Dick chat will change that.

I don't even consider the ones who think it's 41 or 81 'clever dicks', if anything they're trying to overcomplicate a sum which is piss easy
  • Options

40+40=80

80 X 0 = 0

0+1= 1

It's still 1 and no Clever Dick chat will change that.

I don't even consider the ones who think it's 41 or 81 'clever dicks', if anything they're trying to overcomplicate a sum which is piss easy

Just stick in a spread sheet. You dont have to work anything out.

What cant speak cant lie

• Options
    If it's so easy how come you keep getting it wrong?
  • Options
    ...by using the proper rules rather than just making stuff up?  You might as well moan about people suggesting that grammar punctuation is used correctly are overcomplicating something that r eezzee.
  • Options

Johnny "Hey Fred wanna do some mental arithmetic?"

Fred "Sure"

Johnny "Ok, here goes. Add 40+40"

Fred "Yep, 80"

Johnny " Now multiply by zero"

Fred "That gives me zero"

Johnny "Now add 1. What you got?"

Fred "1"

Johnny "Correct!"

I've already explained this in my earlier post:
    Also, the thing with brackets and language - it is possible to infer brackets with language, by saying things like:
    "Add together 4 and 7, then multiply by 3".
    This translates as:
    (4 + 7) x 3
    because the "then" has indicated precedence of the addition, and therefore implies brackets around that part of the expression.

You've used "now" rather than "then", but the point is the same.

I have to say though, I'm now bored by your blind refusal to accept that you're mistaken. If you're on a wind up, congratulations you've done a good job. If you still genuinely think you're right, then you can't be reading the thread properly. (You can't have read my explanation above for a start.) I'm inclined to think you just can't handle being wrong. Quite sad, really.
  • Options
    my only comment is that Millwall are correct to describe us anoraks /trainspotters

on what other football related site would you get such a long debate ?

PS  i say 1!
  • Options

There was no such thing as a "Spread Sheet" when I was at school.

lordromford said:

Also, the thing with brackets and language - it is possible to infer brackets with language, by saying things like:
    "Add together 4 and 7, then multiply by 3".
    This translates as:
    (4 + 7) x 3
    because the "then" has indicated precedence of the addition, and therefore implies brackets around that part of the expression.

What?
     Where are the numbers 4, 7 and 3 in the sum?

I've just had a very nice lunch with 3 other City guys. Two traders and one other broker (like me). Ages 46 (me) 48, 51 and 52. A total of well over 100 years of experience in the International Money Markets. WE ALL AGREED THE ANSWER WAS ONE (1)!

There are some who DO and there are some who teach.........

Jog on!

• Options

It's 41. How sad that people can't ever accept they are wrong.

As to the history of the order of operations, this guy doesn't think it was invented by the Greeks.

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/52582.html

"I suspect that the concept, and especially the term "order of
    operations" and the "PEMDAS/BEDMAS" mnemonics, was formalized only in
    this century, or at least in the late 1800s, with the growth of the
    textbook industry. I think it has been more important to text authors
    than to mathematicians, who have just informally agreed without
    needing to state anything officially"

• Options
    I've just had a very nice lunch with 3 other City guys. Two traders and one other broker (like me). Ages 46 (me) 48, 51 and 52. A total of well over 100 years of experience in the International Money Markets. WE ALL AGREED THE ANSWER WAS ONE (1)!

Jog on!

And remind us what state the world ecomony is in and whose fucking fault it is?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Lets look at this with our football heads on:

If I take 40 fans from block A of the upper north and add them to 40 fans from block B of the upper north I have a total of 80 fans.

If I multiply them by 0 surely I still have the 80 fans left, why do they vanish into thin air because I have multiplied them by nothing.

So add 1 fan from block C of the upper north and I have a total of 81 fans

Simples!

• Options

In a very bad way. Due to a series of ineffectual and corrupt governments throughout the world.

Nothing to do with me and my mates and clients.

"It's all the bankers fault!"

Lol!

Governments love that one.

Try and start collecting the taxes that are owed.

• Options

Not knowing the order of operations is one thing. It's really just a convention we use to resolve ambigouity in a maths questions. But it is depressing that people don't know that multiplying a number by zero is zero.

• Options

If I take 40 fans from block A of the upper north and add them to 40 fans from block B of the upper north I have a total of 80 fans.

If I multiply them by 0 surely I still have the 80 fans left, why do they vanish into thin air because I have multiplied them by nothing.

Simples!

Sorry mate. Anything multiplied by 0 = 0.

Even more SIMPLES!

• Options

Simples!

Yes you are simple....

Multiply anything by zero and you get zero....I'm sure this complex mathematical theory that a few on here fail to grasp was taught in primary school

• Options
    Late to the party I know by according to a recent study by Cambridge University (I think) maths department (and broadcast on Radio 2 last week as the answer to a Homework Sucks question) the answer is infinity. They have spent years debating it and have finally decided that multiply is an instruction and therefore it would be 0.000000 onwrds and therefore the answer is infinity.
  • Options
    Infinity? This thread could go on forever then!
  • Options

In a very bad way. Due to a series of ineffectual and corrupt governments throughout the world.

Yes, yes. Currency speculation is not to blame in any way for the Eurozone crisis. Bankers are all misunderstood and not just a bunch of chancers who, it turns out, can't even accept or understand basic mathematical principals.
  • Options

My daugfhter is 4, she would know that 80 x 0 = 0

*Points and laughs at East Stand Mike*

• Options
    edited November 2011

Just a question for those who believe that 80x0 = 80.

What is 80x1?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes, yes. Currency speculation is not to blame in any way for the Eurozone crisis. Bankers are all misunderstood and not just a bunch of chancers who, it turns out, can't even accept or understand basic mathematical principals.
    Currency speculation? This ain't the 1990's fella! If you don't know what you're talking about I'd keep quiet if I were you.
  • Options

Just a question for those who believe that 80x0 = 80.

What is 80x1?

• Options

Currency speculation? This ain't the 1990's fella! If you don't know what you're talking about I'd keep quiet if I were you.
    pot kettle black
  • Options
    I wish my accountant would make the answer 1 when he's doing my tax returns.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    There are some very strange people about who take a perverse pride in their own ignorance, after all only, geeks and wimps display their intelligence like it's something worth having, normal people know how loud you can shout, how hard you can hit and how many beers you can drink are the real way of measuring a man.

As the saying goes:

Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience!
  • Options

There was no such thing as a "Spread Sheet" when I was at school.

lordromford said:

"Add together 4 and 7, then multiply by 3".
    This translates as:
    (4 + 7) x 3

What?
     Where are the numbers 4, 7 and 3 in the sum?

Jog on!

4, 7 and 3 aren't in the original sum.
    I never said they were.
    Try reading posts properly before responding.

Oh, and if your 3 mates agreed with you, they either didn't understand, had no interest and agreed with you to shut you up, are as stubborn as you or you explained it wrong. It's as simple as that.

Bottom line is, you're wrong and will always be wrong on this.
  • Options

Haven't read much of this but the answer is definitely 1

• Options
    Bottom line is, you're wrong and will always be wrong on this.

Errrrr.......No, I don't think so sonny.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Don't you start Bexley!
  • Options
    edited November 2011

I tell you what. Some people might be good at maths, but they can't recognise the biggest wind up merchant on this board.

Whilst he is a master at his trade, after a few days, I would have thought everyone would have cottoned on by now.

I wonder how many more days it will take some to see ?

I reckon at least the rest of today.

Well played Chirps, victory is yours !