Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

40 + 40 x 0 + 1 =??? - to solve an office argument!!!

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2011

40 + 40 = 80 x 0 = 80 + 1 = 81?

Well I keep getting 81, but I'm a thick as pig shit Nazi..... :-)

I make it 81 as well. If you multiply 80 by zero you still have the original 80
    Not in a maths sum.80 x nothing is the same as a million times nothing.....nothing. 80 x 1 = 80.

However in an applied situation like above then yes you can make 80 x 0 = 80.

the situation above stated 80 rows by zero columns, the question itself is inaccurate, in order to have 80 rows you must have at least 1 column so the actual question should be 80 x1 = 80. if there were zero columns then the rows in question do not exist.

Err... I was agreeing with you! Now stop showing off ;-)

Edit...sorry just noticed the seed example used which obviously is wrong. I was refering to my example as "the above".
  • Options

81 FACT
    ??? it Can't be 81 impossible
    Impossible as a sum but possible in a real life situation using maths :-)
    how? it is always impossible.
    I'm feeling generous so I give you 40 coins; I give you 40 more so you now have 80. We then draw a random number to see how many I'm going to times that by but unfortunately we draw a 0 so you still have 80. Feeling some sympathy I give you 1 more; You now have 81. As i said, real life situation using maths not a mathematical sum :-).

The true answer to the sum is 41, but mathematics and the way numbers are used in most peoples day to day realities often differ, hence the common answer of 1.
    very good

Actually.....80 x 0 would then be the same as 80 x 1 so why put the 0 into the draw? Lol. But then my game so if i choose to put 0 - 10 in it then that's the reality the maths has to deal with.

• Options
    Really though if you drew a zero then the money should have been taken back because you would be giving 80 zero times
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with the seed example, next you'll say you can't have a one dimensional object.
  • Options
    So the answer is 81

told ya
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with the seed example, next you'll say you can't have a one dimensional object.
    you can it's called a point,

So the answer is 81

told ya

no it's not!!!
  • Options

Really though if you drew a zero then the money should have been taken back because you would be giving 80 zero times

But you already have the 80 and the draw is to see if there's any increase. So I'm timesing the 80 zero times further, as apposed to giving you 80 x 0. 
  • Options
    No wonder the country has gone to the dumps, the majority of people cannot work out simple equations...*shakes head*
  • Options
    Its 30 as anyfool kno
  • Options
    Its 30 as anyfool kno
    I like this answer  lmao

also 3+3 = 8... so I am told by my 3 year old... wanders of nursery teaching :/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I have a CSE in maths

I have an honours degree in computer science

I have two PhDs, one in molecular physics and another in applied philosopy

I belong to MENSA

I an a fellow of the Royal Society

I have a brain the size of a planet

I can categorically state that the answer is 

• Options
    well I know someone who's brothers' girlfriends' best mates aunts ex maths teacher said it's 56, must be true I read it on facebook!
  • Options
    you can it's called a point,
    *Gives up!*
  • Options
    I have a CSE in maths

I have an honours degree in computer science

I have two PhDs, one in molecular physics and another in applied philosopy

I belong to MENSA

I an a fellow of the Royal Society

I have a brain the size of a planet

I can categorically state that the answer is 

But what is the question?
  • Options
    what is the meaning of life, the universe and everything  : - )
  • Options
    It's easy h

The answer like the answer to this question

Is

81 all these so called clever clogs can't bloody count 8)
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Surely you can only use Bosman if the sum is written down? If someone asked you this to do mentally, one step at a time, without seeing the whole sum you'd get a different answer. ie 1

• Options

Surely you can only use Bosman if the sum is written down? If someone asked you this to do mentally, one step at a time, without seeing the whole sum you'd get a different answer. ie 1

Nah, you can only use Bosman if they're over 24 :-)
  • Options

The bloke who started this thread has a lot to answer for.

Anyone know Ken from Bexley's number ? He said he is training to be a samaritan.   HELP !

• Options
    as I was taught, 0 doesn't actually exist as there is never actually nothing. 0 is just an estimation of very very very little. This explains why 1 divided by zero = infinity, or at least a number that veers towards infinity.

The answer to the original question is 1 - there are no brackets to alter the order of the reasoning.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I can't believe this is still going, haha.

My mates an accountant, he said it's 41. As do the other 6 I know. Your sister as an accountant will no doubt use excel or some other spreadsheet type program, as do most other businesses. They all say the answer is 41, if it was wrong then I could imagine a lot of businesses P&L sheets could be epically wrong!

This is of course correct. See my post several pages back.
  • Options

• Options
    mate if you was a real nazi you would make it 88.
  • Options
    No wonder the country has gone to the dumps, the majority of people cannot work out simple equations...*shakes head*

Fair enough,
    Some of us thickos didnt do to well at school.
    Howether i would be willing to meet you in the car park at the valley this afternoon and let you give me £40 then for the sake of this experiment i will let you give me another £40 i then will if we are going to multiply it by 0 then surely we will not be multiplying it at all, so you could add the last pound and experiment will be over.

Ok so i wouldnt want to make money from a fellow supporter so if you worked it out as 1 or 41 i will give you that back. :-)
  • Options
    As I said if you say it out loud one step at a time it is 1.
  • Options

81 god you lot look too far into everything

8=)

• Options
    edited November 2011
    My life. I'll never get back the 5 minutes I've wasted reading this thread.

Why so much arrogance, spite and bitterness over a poxy maths puzzle?

However, have to admit, I laughed at the state Algarve was getting himself into. So Perry, is the answer 1?
    ;o)
  • Options
    It's actually 81.
  • Options
    no mate add 80 and you get there
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    if we play 80 games in a seasonn and keep 80 clean sheets have we let in 80 goals or zero goals?
    i think some people are on a 80x0=80 wind up