Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

40 + 40 x 0 + 1 =??? - to solve an office argument!!!

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    I don't comment on sunk threads.......
  • Options
    Say what you want but my last post proved a lot. And thats rich that you call me a twat considering your last post. Whether by accident or on purpose you changed the sum in a pathetic attempt to prove your (still wrong) answer is right.
    Yes, it proved you're bad a math, go read the wiki article on BODMAS, educate yourself.
  • Options
    Say what you want but my last post proved a lot. And thats rich that you call me a twat considering your last post. Whether by accident or on purpose you changed the sum in a pathetic attempt to prove your (still wrong) answer is right.
    Yes, it proved you're bad a math, go read the wiki article on BODMAS, educate yourself.

I'm 'bad a math'? Oh dear what will I do?
  • Options
    I studied French to GCSE level and happen to know that bonjour means "hello". Using SS's argument above, can we now have a 4 page debate arguing that "bonjour" does not mean hello, just because some people either didn't study it, can't remember studying it.... or just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

Actually bonjour doesn't mean "hello" it means "good-day".  Hello wasn't a word in general usage until it became promoted by Edison for answering the telephone, and didn't appear in any dictionary until the late 19th century.  The word "hullow", an expression of surprise comes from the French word "hola" meaning "whoa", and doesn't mean hello. Do you want a five minute argument or a 48 hour argument?
  • Options

40+(40x0)+1 =41

40+40x0+1 = 1

:-)

• Options
    Now my PhD son says it's 41 using BIDMAS, but that BIDMAS is different to BODMAS. Just when I thought I couldn't get any more confused!!
  • Options
    Now my PhD son says it's 41 using BIDMAS, but that BIDMAS is different to BODMAS. Just when I thought I couldn't get any more confused!!
    There are no brackets so whether BIDMAS or BODMAS  or PEDMAS,  what matters is the ....MAS part.
    M ultiplication is done first before A ddition

so with

40+40x0+1

40x0 is done first = 0

That gives

40+0+1 = 41

QED

Simples!

• Options
    Bodmin Moor theory
  • Options
    Rules of mathematics state the answer is and can only be 41
    a basic inferior calculator, or a person working from left to right, will  answer with 1
    Some people who for some strange reason work backwards may get 80
    3 possible answers, one right one. 

• Options
    I asked a Phd student today, took him a nano second to say 41.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And then he walked out into the road and under a bus because he hasn't got the practical sense he was born with!
    ;o)
  • Options
    And then he walked out into the road and under a bus because he hasn't got the practical sense he was born with!
    ;o)
    You know him? ;0)
  • Options
    The answer is 1.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

thanks for the CL award!

why is this saying its quoted?!?!? 

• Options
    40 + 40 x 0 + 1 = 1