Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

40 + 40 x 0 + 1 =??? - to solve an office argument!!!

Comments

• Options
    Not that I needed it clarified but my sister who is an accountant has just confirmed it is 1. I think the person who started this thread has achieved exactly what he set out to achieve - get attention. Over 150 comments later and he's the one laughing. There are no brackets, it's 1.
  • Options
    Jesus, this thread is depressing.
    41 is correct. Mathematically correct.
    Everyone on this thread with a grasp of Maths has said the answer is 41. Lots of them have explained why.
    Everyone who has said the answer is anything else is wrong. All of THEIR explanations have been flawed. Mathematically.

Why do some people insist on continuing to stand firm on a subject that is obviously not their area of expertise, in the face of repeated correction by people whose area of expertise IS MATHEMATICS?
    Cock.
  • Options
    Not that I needed it clarified but my sister who is an accountant has just confirmed it is 1. I think the person who started this thread has achieved exactly what he set out to achieve - get attention. Over 150 comments later and he's the one laughing. There are no brackets, it's 1.
    Pass on her details, JaShea99.  I need help with some .. err .. quantitative easing .. and accountants like her are hard to find.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    How many times???

Under accepted mathematical/computing order of opeartions, multiplication takes precedence over addition.

There are no brackets so each element of the sum separated by plus/addition/+ stands on its own.

That gives you three elements to the sum:

40x0

You  then do the multiplication., 40 x 0.  Which = 0.

That gives you 40 + 0 + 1.

Then you do the addition. And it does not total 1   !!!!
  • Options
    WOW!!!!!!!! I've gone to bed, went football training, ate some Ice cream, watched F1, signed into Charlton Life and this still Isn't solved. 

Some one call Einstein.
  • Options
    JaShea's sister may not be someone I want doing my accounts...
  • Options
    edited November 2011

I can't believe this is still going, haha.

My mates an accountant, he said it's 41. As do the other 6 I know. Your sister as an accountant will no doubt use excel or some other spreadsheet type program, as do most other businesses. They all say the answer is 41, if it was wrong then I could imagine a lot of businesses P&L sheets could be epically wrong!

• Options
    More fool me for getting sucked into another ridiculous argument on Charlton Life. If you want it to be 41 then let it be 41 and see how far you get in life. Interesting to note though that those who think it's 1 have a simple answer which doesn't go beyond the idea that YOU ADD THEN YOU ADD THEN YOU MULTIPLY THEN YOU ADD. And the ones claiming it's 41 have a long winded, paragraph sized explanation for the kind of sum I saw in Primary school
  • Options
    It's 41 though...
  • Options
    Jesus, this thread is depressing.
    41 is correct. Mathematically correct.
    Everyone on this thread with a grasp of Maths has said the answer is 41. Lots of them have explained why.
    Everyone who has said the answer is anything else is wrong. All of THEIR explanations have been flawed. Mathematically.

Why do some people insist on continuing to stand firm on a subject that is obviously not their area of expertise, in the face of repeated correction by people whose area of expertise IS MATHEMATICS?
    Cock.
    Wow. Great response.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    More fool me for getting sucked into another ridiculous argument on Charlton Life. If you want it to be 41 then let it be 41 and see how far you get in life. Interesting to note though that those who think it's 1 have a simple answer which doesn't go beyond the idea that YOU ADD THEN YOU ADD THEN YOU MULTIPLY THEN YOU ADD. And the ones claiming it's 41 have a long winded, paragraph sized explanation for the kind of sum I saw in Primary school
    Well seeing as I got an A at GCSE maths after being taught BODMAS so I therefore got 41, I think you'd better phone EVERY exam board, tell them they're wrong, take away every person's maths degree, get everyone to retake exams etc.

How your sister is an accountant if she thinks it's 1? Then again it doesn't take much to be an accountant as everything is done by computers, hardly any intelligence is required.

• Options
    Well seeing as I got an A at GCSE maths after being taught BODMAS so I therefore got 41, I think you'd better phone EVERY exam board, tell them they're wrong, take away every person's maths degree, get everyone to retake exams etc.

How your sister is an accountant if she thinks it's 1? Then again it doesn't take much to be an accountant as everything is done by computers, hardly any intelligence is required.

Do they have questions as tricky as this in GCSE Maths?
  • Options
    I can't remember, it was 7 years ago! Although tbh this question is easy!
  • Options
    If you're a Greek accountant, when you borrow the money the answer is 41,  when you pay it back its 1  simples!
  • Options
    81 FACT
  • Options
    81 FACT
    explain.
  • Options
    81 FACT
    ??? it Can't be 81 impossible
  • Options
    Cos I'm god and what I say goes
  • Options
    Cos I'm god and what I say goes
    even god can't turn anything times zero into anything other than zero
  • Options

81 FACT
    Impossible as a sum but possible in a real life situation using maths :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

81 FACT
    how? it is always impossible.
  • Options

81 FACT
    I'm feeling generous so I give you 40 coins; I give you 40 more so you now have 80. We then draw a random number to see how many I'm going to times that by but unfortunately we draw a 0 so you still have 80. Feeling some sympathy I give you 1 more; You now have 81. As i said, real life situation using maths not a mathematical sum :-).

The true answer to the sum is 41, but mathematics and the way numbers are used in most peoples day to day realities often differ, hence the common answer of 1.
  • Options

81 FACT
    I'm feeling generous so I give you 40 coins; I give you 40 more so you now have 80. We then draw a random number to see how many I'm going to times that by but unfortunately we draw a 0 so you still have 80. Feeling some sympathy I give you 1 more; You now have 81. As i said, real life situation using maths not a mathematical sum :-).

The true answer to the sum is 41, but mathematics and the way numbers are used in most peoples day to day realities often differ, hence the common answer of 1.
    very good
  • Options
    I know the guy who started this thread -not interested in attention - won the bet, got his winnings last night and spent them down the boozer
  • Options
    I know the guy who started this thread -not interested in attention - won the bet, got his winnings last night and spent them down the boozer

If the people who had lost the bet had thought about it they could have got some of their money back using the same rules used to get the answer! :-)

• Options

40 + 40 = 80 x 0 = 80 + 1 = 81?

Well I keep getting 81, but I'm a thick as pig shit Nazi..... :-)

I make it 81 as well. If you multiply 80 by zero you still have the original 80
  • Options

If you plant seeds in a grid with 80 rows and 0 Columns, how may seeds have you planted?
  • Options

80 multiplied by 0 is 0. ANYTHING multiplied by zero is zero. 
  • Options

Not in a maths sum.80 x nothing is the same as a million times nothing.....nothing. 80 x 1 = 80.

However in an applied situation like above then yes you can make 80 x 0 = 80.

• Options

Not in a maths sum.80 x nothing is the same as a million times nothing.....nothing. 80 x 1 = 80.

However in an applied situation like above then yes you can make 80 x 0 = 80.

the situation above stated 80 rows by zero columns, the question itself is inaccurate, in order to have 80 rows you must have at least 1 column so the actual question should be 80 x1 = 80. if there were zero columns then the rows in question do not exist.