Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

40 + 40 x 0 + 1 =??? - to solve an office argument!!!

Comments

• Options
    It can be whatever you want it to be.
  • Options
    I can't believe people are actually stupid enough to think the answer is 1 or 81....its.41 for goodness sake, go back to school and listen this time!!!
    It can never be 81 no matter where you split the problem, logically it is 41 or 1 depending where you put the brackets but it can be 80, never 81. Also don't be so damn rude not everyone was taught the same way.
  • Options
    Agree sadie. Quite interesting before charmer bob turns up.

• Options
    I can't believe people are actually stupid enough to think the answer is 1 or 81....its.41 for goodness sake, go back to school and listen this time!!!
    It can never be 81 no matter where you split the problem, logically it is 41 or 1 depending where you put the brackets but it can be 80, never 81. Also don't be so damn rude not everyone was taught the same way.
    It also probably depends on WHEN you went to school.
  • Options
    In extra maths (yes I was a nerd) we were taught that if there are 'missing' brackets substitute the 'x' for a bracket, 
    (40+40) 0 +1 = 1

Huh? That's just wrong!
  • Options
    In extra maths (yes I was a nerd) we were taught that if there are 'missing' brackets substitute the 'x' for a bracket, 
    (40+40) 0 +1 = 1

Huh? That's just wrong!
    I know it is hence the 'extra' maths. aka 'further maths' we also studied finite arithmetic etc, basically we took 'normal maths' and played with it.

• Options
    Today in mathematics we use brackets for this sort of sum; there are no brackets, so the answer is 1.
    Nice try by all those jumping on the 41 bandwagon though. 
  • Options
    Kanu?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Today in mathematics we use brackets for this sort of sum; there are no brackets, so the answer is 1.
    Nice try by all those jumping on the 41 bandwagon though. 
    I was doing it in maths too (month or so ago) if there was brackets you would do whateve was in the brackets first, doesn't matter if its multiplication, subtraction etc, since there's no brackets you multiply first as it takes preference over subtraction/addition. If there was division and multiplication, you go from left to right.

• Options
    This is all over the internet already. Examples:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111010105647AA7TbtU

http://www.thejach.com/view/2011/10/40_40_x_0_1

http://www.infos-du-net.com/forum/310764-28-40x0

Personally, I'd never heard of BODMAS before I read this thread. It appears that there is still some debate about this even taking into account this rule. The confusion really comes into effect when there is some division involved:

http://blog.aggregatedintelligence.com/2009/01/bodmas-or-pemdas-it-is-elementary.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interpretation is the key.

say this out loud.

What is half of two plus two?

There are 2 possible answers and am willing to bet that all those that thought the previous answer was '41' would answer this one with '2' and all those that thought the previous answer was '1' would answer this one with '3'.
  • Options
    Where's the bird off Countdown when you need her
  • Options
    that is a vague question because it is not mathematically expressed but either way the answer is less than 40 + 40 x 0 + 1
  • Options
    this is simple confusion between solving a mathematical formula and solving an arithmatic instance, written as the formula 40 + 40 x 0 + 1 the answer can only possibly ever be 41, there's no argument, that's how you solve a mathematical formula.

Now if I say "do 40 plus 40, now times by zero, now add 1" the answer is 1, but this is because I'm verbally bracketing each step.

simply put, the formula and the sentence are not the same, hence they give different answers.

Those answering 1 are giving the right answer to the wrong question
  • Options

Top maths fun.

I love the way we ignore the fact that the Greeks invented maths over two thousand years ago (where are you now, Thales, when your country needs you?).  So, any argument based on post-1980s teaching methods falls a little flat in my book.

The absence of brackets confuses, but the rules are clear.  Doing the operations from left to right is wrong because, if you wrote them in a different order, you'd get a different result.  So the hierarchy of 'power' followed by 'multiplication/division' then 'addition/subtraction' must always be adhered to.

41 it is.  Any other answer betrays classical learning and you'll have Stephen Fry to answer to.

On a separate note, there is an easier explanation for the fact that 2^0 = 1 (or indeed any number to the power of zero being 1) and it goes like this:

2^4 = 2x2x2x2 = 16

2^3 = 2x2x2 = 8 (ie 16 divided by 2)

2^2 = 2x2 = 4 (ie 8 divided by 2)

2^1 = 2 (ie 4 divided by 2)

2^0 = 1 (ie 2 divided by 2)

Finally ... 0 divided by 0?

Think about it in financial terms.  You have zero coins and you plan to divide them equally among zero people.  How many coins does each person get?

There are no people.  There are no coins.  So the question is nonsense.  You might as well ask "what colour is happiness?"

• Options

say this out loud.

There are 2 possible answers and am willing to bet that all those that thought the previous answer was '41' would answer this one with '2' and all those that thought the previous answer was '1' would answer this one with '3'.
    41 and  2. Although I think both are a little confusing on purpose.

I work a UCL, Monday I will be asking the top 1% (so they think) of the population,
  • Options

say this out loud.

Wrong, sadiejane.

I'm in the 41 camp ... and half of two plus two is three for all the same reasons.  Divide first then add.

• Options

say this out loud.

Wrong, sadiejane.

I'm in the 41 camp ... and half of two plus two is three for all the same reasons.  Divide first then add.

no, this one is how its spoken I was a 3 person then thought its a play on words so half of four.
  • Options

say this out loud.

Wrong, sadiejane.

no, this one is how its spoken I was a 3 person then thought its a play on words so half of four.

Doesn't matter how it's spoken.  You divide first then add. 

Half of two (= 1) plus 2 (=3).

• Options

say this out loud.

Wrong, sadiejane.

It sort of matters how it is spoken

if you say half of 2, plus 2 (hence a little pause where comma is) the answer will be 3, If you say half of: 2 plus 2 (moving the pause) then the answer is 2. Like I said interpretation is the key.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

say this out loud.

Wrong, sadiejane.

It sort of matters how it is spoken

if you say half of 2, plus 2 (hence a little pause where comma is) the answer will be 3, If you say half of: 2 plus 2 (moving the pause) then the answer is 2. Like I said interpretation is the key.

Ah, the pause.

So how long does the pause have to be before the rules (developed by the Greeks in 585BC-ish) change?

Stuff the pause.  Stick with the rules.  They've served us well up to now.

• Options
    The answer is 41.  You need brackets around the two 40's for the answer to be 1
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Answer 41

Without brackets expressed using algebraic transformation 40 + 1 + 40 x 0 = 41

(40+40)x0+1= 1

(40+40)x(0+1) = 80

Try putting the original equation into excel - it will give you 41

Simples
  • Options
    I have a friend who is a theoretical physicist and he says the answer is open to interpretation due to the fact the question itself is incorrect. "Maths is clarity, that question is not." 

But as it stands, the answer is 1.
  • Options

I have an O-Level in Maths.(Cambridge Examination Board 1982) Not an A -Level in Pure or Applied Maths etc.

When I took my "O-Level" many, many years ago there was NO BODMAS(HIT).

The ONLY rule was "Brackets First". Nothing more, nothing less.

If the world of education wants to change the rules now, well that's fine with me. I am Grandfathered.

There are no brackets in this sum so the answer is 1.

End of chat.

• Options

40 + 40 = 80

80 x 0 = 80 (Thats not doing anything is it)

80 + 1 =81

Well thats what I thought

• Options
    edited November 2011

I have an O-Level in Maths.(Cambridge Examination Board 1982) Not an A -Level in Pure or Applied Maths etc.

If the world of education wants to change the rules now, well that's fine with me. I am Grandfathered.

End of chat.

Oh dear.

The wielding of an O-level.

Well .. if you're happy ...

• Options

40 + 40 = 80

80 + 1 =81

How do you make 80 x 0 = 80 you thick dick?

• Options

40 + 40 = 80

80 + 1 =81

You have a bag with nothing in it.  You have 80 bags each with nothing in it.

You have nothing.

80x0 = 0

• Options
    edited November 2011

End of chat.

Oh dear.

The wielding of an O-level.

Well .. if you're happy ...

An O-Level is worth a damn site more than a poxy GSCE. Is than that you're studying for David? 42 GSCE's?