Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

40 + 40 x 0 + 1 =??? - to solve an office argument!!!

Comments

• Options
    So what is 0 divided by 0?
    Infinity.
  • Options
    0?
  • Options
    My cat's breath smells of cat poo.
  • Options
    It's 1.

Partly to piss off Algarve and his BOGOF thingymajingy
  • Options
    So what is 0 divided by 0?
    Infinity.
    Nothing, it's an impossible calculation.

• Options
    It's all bollox 40 + 40 = 80 x 0 +1 = 81

The rest of you are all thick 8)
  • Options
    It's 1.

Partly to piss off Algarve and his BOGOF thingymajingy

Most annoyingly, it was a Millwall fan who put me right...
  • Options
    Jesus you lot must be bored!
  • Options

You don't work for HM Revenue & Customs, do you Sonicstud85?

I'm not bitter.  Just asking, that's all.

• Options
    Algarve, I'll take your word for it.
    However, if anyone does subnetting on here (or you AA as you seem quite maths literate) how the Feck does 2 to the power of 0 equal 1?

It's basic binary maths chief. Anything to the power of zero in binary equals 1 - because you only have 1s and 0s.
    It will also be the multiplication identity within any defined field.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where's Rachel Riley when you need her?
  • Options
    80 x 1 = 80
    80 x 0 = 0

Different sums different answers.
  • Options
    Maffmatiks wherent eva my strong point! I woz the bestest at English tho! ;-)
  • Options
    jeez - why all the fuss? It's 41 because you do the multiplication FIRST.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Its 40+0+1 so its 41
  • Options
    Doing the multiplication first sounds like just the daft sort of thing BOD would do - this was a guy who didn't fully grasp gravity, found ice-cream in manholes and tried to woo chickens out of trees. Surely the logical approach is to do it as read thus giving the answer 1.

All this BOD rubbish makes it as complicated as a sentence without punctuation e.g:

Eats shoots then leaves.
  • Options
    Sorry...forgot: What was the question again ?
  • Options
    :oS
  • Options
    Absolutely 1. No question about it. But go ahead and waste some more time thinking about it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely 1. No question about it. But go ahead and waste some more time thinking about it
    You multiplay first so it can't be 1
  • Options

• Options
    edited November 2011
    (40 + 40) x 0 + 1= 1

40 + (40 x 0)  +1 = 41

I'm sure everybody can recognise the mathematical truth of both of those bracketed  sums.

The whole point of this equation, though,  is to confuse via  the absence of brackets.

BODMAS is a useful mnemonic but is probably unecessarily complicated. Apply simple common sense and add in the brackets to each element of the sum which are implied by the absence of the brackets (if that makes any sense at all!) . In other words, all you have to do is identify which figure the x 0 applies to - and the answer is that without brackets it can only apply to the number which precedes it and no others. So you then come up with:

(40) +  ( 0 expressed as 40 x O ) +  (1 ) = 41.

The other way to remember the answer is that it equates to the number of goals BWP is destined to score in 2011-12...
  • Options
    41 in my humble opinion
  • Options
    41. There is no other answer. Intelligence >>>> common sense
  • Options

Its 41, end of.

Multiplication BEFORE addition

• Options
    (40 + 40) x (0+1) = 80
    40 + (40x0) +1 = 41
    (40+40) x 0 +1 = 1 

In extra maths (yes I was a nerd) we were taught that if there are 'missing' brackets substitute the 'x' for a bracket, 
    (40+40) 0 +1 = 1

• Options
    I'm just totally confused now, how the hell did i produce a brainbox like Callumcafc?

Oh and i know it is 41!
  • Options
    we were given a similar debate in maths, but a verbal one " what is half of 2 plus 2?"
  • Options
    I can't believe people are actually stupid enough to think the answer is 1 or 81....its.41 for goodness sake, go back to school and listen this time!!!