Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

40 + 40 x 0 + 1 =??? - to solve an office argument!!!

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Bottom line is, you're wrong and will always be wrong on this.

Errrrr.......No, I don't think so sonny.

Oh dear.
    What a peculiar person you are.

• Options
    I've just had a very nice lunch with 3 other City guys. Two traders and one other broker (like me). Ages 46 (me) 48, 51 and 52. A total of well over 100 years of experience in the International Money Markets. WE ALL AGREED THE ANSWER WAS ONE (1)!

There are some who DO and there are some who teach.........

Jog on!

And remind us what state the world ecomony is in and whose fucking fault it is?
    The Greeks, and they invented maths
  • Options
    I've just had a very nice lunch with 3 other City guys. Two traders and one other broker (like me). Ages 46 (me) 48, 51 and 52. A total of well over 100 years of experience in the International Money Markets. WE ALL AGREED THE ANSWER WAS ONE (1)!

There are some who DO and there are some who teach.........

Jog on!

And remind us what state the world ecomony is in and whose fucking fault it is?
    The Greeks, and they invented maths
    Lol! You are well informed!
  • Options
    Just to play devil's advocate for a second, if 40 + 40 x 0 + 1 = 41
    Then what is the answer to the following: 40 + (40 x 0) + 1?

Just one number answers because it will explain a lot
  • Options
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    The answer is 1.
  • Options

The brackets make no difference, as you always do multiplication before addition
  • Options
    41 - why is that playing devil's advocate?
  • Options

40 + 40 = 80

x 0 = 0

+1 = 1

**************************************************************************************************************************

• Options
    There are still no brackets!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Even though this thread has surely either jumped the shark, or outlived it's welcome, here's yet another mathematical proof:

a=40, b=0, c=1

Therefore 40 + 40 x 0 + 1 can be expressed as a+ab+c

this is equal to 1a + ba + c
    this is in turn equal to a(1+b) + c

If we then substitute the numbers back in that gives us 40 x (1 + 0) + 1 = 40 x 1 + 1 = 41

and as a bonus trivia question, where does the term "jump the shark" come from :)
  • Options

The brackets make no difference, as you always do multiplication before addition
    Since when? Says who?
  • Options
    Devil's Advocate in this instance - supporting the other side.
    My point was I could totally understand why the question I posed with brackets would give an answer of 41, but how can you say BOTH provide the same answer when one has brackets which indicate a separate sum and the other is a simple step by step equation? That was rhetorical, you can't. The first answer is 1, the second is 41. Brackets were not brought into Maths when the Mathetican was feeling bored, they, as I say above refer to a sum which must be done BEFORE it is added/subtracted or multiplied by the preceding figure.

It. Is. 1
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    and as a bonus trivia question, where does the term "jump the shark" come from :)
    Happy Days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDthMGtZKa4
  • Options
    Devil's Advocate in this instance - supporting the other side.
    My point was I could totally understand why the question I posed with brackets would give an answer of 41, but how can you say BOTH provide the same answer when one has brackets which indicate a separate sum and the other is a simple step by step equation? That was rhetorical, you can't. The first answer is 1, the second is 41. Brackets were not brought into Maths when the Mathetican was feeling bored, they, as I say above refer to a sum which must be done BEFORE it is added/subtracted or multiplied by the preceding figure.

It. Is. 1

Because there is no such thing as a step by step equation. It is either expressed as an equation, and therefore subject to the mathematical rules for solving an equation, or it is expressed as a set of step by step instructions, like you'd get in primary school maths, and usually laid out similar to the below:

40 + 40 = 80
        x   0 = 0
        +  1 =  1

I imagine Chirpy and JaShea imagine they are being terribly witty, or are incredibly stupid, I hope it's the first, even though that does make them tw*ts, but I guess we'd all rather be an annoying tw@t than an imbeciles

• Options

I'm just right.

I'm witty on most other threads though.....

• Options
    Devil's Advocate in this instance - supporting the other side. My point was I could totally understand why the question I posed with brackets would give an answer of 41, but how can you say BOTH provide the same answer when one has brackets which indicate a separate sum and the other is a simple step by step equation? That was rhetorical, you can't. The first answer is 1, the second is 41. Brackets were not brought into Maths when the Mathetican was feeling bored, they, as I say above refer to a sum which must be done BEFORE it is added/subtracted or multiplied by the preceding figure. It. Is. 1

Brackets can be added to clarify any possible ambiguity.  When there are no brackets, the priority order (devised by the Greeks and formalised in the 1800s) applies ... to avoid any ambiguity.

So, you don't need brackets.  When they are there, you deal with them first.  When they are not there, you carry out any multiplication/division operations, then you carry out any addition/subtractions.  Otherwise, there is ambiguity and different people will get different answers.

• Options
    Say what you want but my last post proved a lot. And thats rich that you call me a twat considering your last post. Whether by accident or on purpose you changed the sum in a pathetic attempt to prove your (still wrong) answer is right.
  • Options

Devil's Advocate in this instance - supporting the other side. My point was I could totally understand why the question I posed with brackets would give an answer of 41, but how can you say BOTH provide the same answer when one has brackets which indicate a separate sum and the other is a simple step by step equation? That was rhetorical, you can't. The first answer is 1, the second is 41. Brackets were not brought into Maths when the Mathetican was feeling bored, they, as I say above refer to a sum which must be done BEFORE it is added/subtracted or multiplied by the preceding figure. It. Is. 1

Spurious argument. I could say if 40 + 40 x 0 + 1= 1 then what does (40 + 40) x 0 + 1 = ?

The brackets are not needed in the original question. You need to put the brackets in to make it equal 1.

• Options
    Where is this imaginary set of rules laid down please?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Google it. It's all over the place.
  • Options
    Google? Is that a Greek word from the 19thC?
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Do you want a reading list of maths books?

Start with 'The Road to Reality' by Roger Penrose, but really any decent school maths text book will do the trick.

Does Wikipedia work for you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BODMAS

Oh ... and they are not imaginary.

• Options

Modern ideas just don't wash with me. I guess you lot used to spend most of your time cutting up bits of coloured paper and sticking them in your books. SMILE and all that.

I'll stick to proper maths. Never done me any harm.

• Options
    It's 41, now CLOSE, CLOSE, CLOSE!
  • Options

Modern ideas just don't wash with me. I guess you lot used to spend most of your time cutting up bits of coloured paper and sticking them in your books. SMILE and all that.

I'll stick to proper maths. Never done me any harm.

Don't be bitter that they didn't trust you with scissors.

Any other modern ideas that 'don't wash with you'?  I assume that you choose not to use electricity.  And do you only ever travel by Hansom cab?

Or do you just pick and choose which modern ideas to accept?

• Options
    Chirps is right , its 1
  • Options

I say "Excuse me" and not just push past people mumbling sorry afterwards.

I say "please could I have......" and not "Can I get....."

I give up my seat on the train or bus to OAP's and ladies.

I do maths properly, the way it is supposed to be done.

• Options

Well played Chirps, you're a dick !

Fixed it for you.