Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euell.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2011

• Options

If he had started Kermorgant and or Wright-Phillips and they had got injured people would have been saying why didn't he play Euell, whats the point of having him in the squad etc etc. Like most people i was a frustrated by his performance as i am sure he was, but we need a squad if we are going to get out of this league and over the season he has and will play his part.

Agree about the need for squad players, but I think most of us expected more than this from Jason.
    To say he looked past it was an understatement. Also if you are saying we have to protect Wright Phillips, why put him on late in the game, just as likely to get injured then?
    If that was the case why risk Jackson?, especially after the second goal.  
    The fact until Jackson scored we did not look convincing, and frankly I was glad to wrap up the game with a win, and hopefully give the squad players an outing. 

Did not understand bringing BWP on for the last 5 minutes, especially after we scored the 2nd and killed the game off. SCP needs to have a word with himself about that.

I tend to agree that Euell didn't bring much to the party yesterday and I would have preferred to see Smith start up front. I was one of the people who thought bringing Euell back was a great move but I've not been impressed with his performances so far this season and I suspect that, barring an injury crisis, we won't see too much more of him even on the bench.
  • Options
    Don't under estimate the importance of having him cup tied, SCP will have known exactly what he was doing.

Also Ken, I don't understand how a player is 'just as likely' to get inured during 5mins, rather than 90mins?!?!?
  • Options

Basic Maths would say he is not just as likely - another factor was the game was lost to the home side when he made the switch and Halifax weren't going to go reckless, so it was probably as safe putting BWP on then as it would be in training. I'm not claiming Euell had a great game, even a good game but having watched bits again - he got through a fair bit of work - helped the midfield and won some challenges - ok game was fair - I see he got a 6 in the paper which was about right - can't see why he has to picked out for that seeing as it was a professional overall team performance. 

• Options

Basic Maths would say he is not just as likely - another factor was the game was lost to the home side when he made the switch and Halifax weren't going to go reckless, so it was probably as safe putting BWP on then as it would be in training. 

BWP was stripped off and ready to come on before the 2nd goal was scored. At that stage I'd say it was a very big risk to even think about it, although I guess it shows that SCP was taking the game very seriously.
  • Options
    Bring BWP on for 5 minutes and he is cup tied for the FA Cup........................get it?? ;-)
  • Options

I guess there is an element of Euell leading the line so to speak, and also his match fitness a bit rusty perhaps? I would have preferred waggy up there with Green playing wide myself, but job done I guess

• Options
    Bring BWP on for 5 minutes and he is cup tied for the FA Cup........................get it?? ;-)
    Not going to deter any serious buyers from making a bid.  Having said that I do personally think he will be staying put at least until the end of the season.
  • Options
    Of course he will - and if we go up - which we will probably do - he will be staying for next season too. I'd be suprised if he didn't as long as we keep going on this trajectory.
  • Options
    Smith is about 6ft3 isn't he? Not likely to be someone with much speed, thought he did well, nice little cross for Pritch.
    Usain Bolt is 6'5" and he is a bit nippy.
    Which is why I said not likely, always some exceptions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had forgotten all about him until he came on - had to rack my brains a bit before it all fell into place. Looked promising albeit in a very short cameo. 
  • Options
    Not his best ever performance today fairly obviously but not as bad as some paint it either. As Oggy says, much of his best work is done off the ball. His movement (which comes from years of experience) creates space and opportunities for others.

He wouldn't be in my first choice X1 anymore but I'm more than happy to have his experience in and around the squad.

what movement are u for real. didnt win one ball he went 2 marked out of the oh game by non leg/part time players.2far 2 slow weak.

He dragged defenders around which opened space for others but probably the best example is the timing of the run where he was put through on goal one on one but fluffed his touch.

I'm not suggesting he was man of the match or anything but he was not as bad as some are claiming. He didn't slouch around in Marcus Bent type fashion for example.

Off topic, but related, others are slating Hayes. The man fluffed some touches but got one, arguably two, assists.

what more do we expect from third and fourth choice third division strikers I wonder?

• Options
    I'd dearly like to know why Benson doesnt even get a sniff in games like this.  I thought he could be one of the 10 best strikers in this division, so something has gone wrong there.
  • Options
    yep - where is Benno?!
  • Options
    would i be right in saying euelly hasnt played as an out and striker for some years now, so would take time to get his killer instincts back if they are still there, was defo classed as a midfielder at balckpool, plus we forget hes in his mid 30's now and not the striker we had at his prime first time around.

• Options
    I'd dearly like to know why Benson doesnt even get a sniff in games like this.  I thought he could be one of the 10 best strikers in this division, so something has gone wrong there.
    Because CP doesn't rate him and wants to move him on - i remember this discussion a few months back - when a club accept a  transfer fee from another club, it tends to mean they don't feature in the managers plans, regardless of what the manager, diplomatically, may say. A bit like how CP moved Racon and Semedo on as they also weren't deemed up to it by CP. 
  • Options
    Because CP doesn't rate him and wants to move him on - i remember this discussion a few months back - when a club accept a  transfer fee from another club, it tends to mean they don't feature in the managers plans, regardless of what the manager, diplomatically, may say. A bit like how CP moved Racon and Semedo on as they also weren't deemed up to it by CP. 
    SCP has pretty much told the world that Benson is available to anyone that can agree terms. Sadly for the player, who I have nothing against, nobody seems to be interested.
  • Options
    SCP has pretty much told the world that Benson is available to anyone that can agree terms. Sadly for the player, who I have nothing against, nobody seems to be interested.
    And Parky was such a good judge of a player. Whoops, not allowed to discuss Parky either...
  • Options
    He did not want Benno cup tied, for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    He's not fighting for he's place properly when he had the chance yesterday. Probably a tough game to suddenly start in, but if that's he's 'best' on the pitch then it's dissapointing and he surprisingly does not have much to offer.
    Better midfielder IMO and we have to many if those anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But it isn't because Chrissy is employed as a manager, but the job he is doing which means we should be going along with what he does. When I saw Hughes starting when Stephens' baby was born, I thought -oh no - got proved totally wrong -what he has done in the summer has been remarkable and I don't think anybody can seriously question any of his decisions. Euell is part of the first team squad for a reason- simples. Dont think he has cost us any points and he won us 2 against Bury.
    Not disagreeing or trying to be clever, I wasn't there but can you tell me how euell won us two points at Bury ?
  • Options

I believe the problem is quite simple.

Euell, needs to grow his hair.

When he had a bit of an afro he was prolific as a striker. As soon as he cut it he lost his soul and his power. he became vulnerable. he lost all hope and belief.

with enough time and an afro comb he could be back to his old self.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Not disagreeing or trying to be clever, I wasn't there but can you tell me how euell won us two points at Bury ?
    Euell prevented an equaliser by clearing off the line in the last minute of stoppage time..
  • Options

He did indeed Oggster

• Options
    had a feeling he hadn't taken a few defenders on and rifled one into the top corner
  • Options

Saving a certain goal to secure the win is the same as scoring a winner in terms of net return - now, what games has he cost us points in?

• Options
    edited November 2011

I really don't think its worth carrying on this discussion Mutley. Everybody thinks he was utter pants on sunday, you don't, i'll leave it there.

• Options
    even i think he was poor sunday that there is no distracting from, he was a shadow of his former glory days, and i was saddened to see it tbh,  but i dont agree that he should be bombed out of the squad based on that one showing
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Firstly this is discussion not vindictiveness.

I was previously, more than happy with Jason Euell, during his first  stint with the club. However, he couldn't control the ball even then & wasn't exactly the fastest of players. His main asset was scoring goals, often from a distance.

I have seen every minute of Euell this season & he has been poor on every occasion.

He still can't control the ball, he is slow to react, slow in running & yesterday he seemed unwilling to jump for the ball.

I can't remember a decent shot either this season, even though he has had a few decent chances to score.

Let's be frank, he didn't look any better than the Halifax players & I'm being generous saying that.

I don't doubt that he is good to have around the training ground & on the bench. In which case keep him at the training ground and let him sit beside or behind the bench.

There can only be one good reason to play him & that is,as a body to play in games, where we don't want first teamers to get injured or give them a rest. This is obviously what happened yesterday. So by all means play him in the Kent Cup & FA Cup 2nd round, but don't even consider having him on the bench for anymore league games. He adds no value.

Apologies, if the truth offends, but so be it.

NB Euell apart, yesterdays performance was once again excellent & I am in no way criticising Powell. In playing Euell we rested BWP & Kermit.

• Options
    edited November 2011