Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euell.

12346»

Comments

• Options
    CP sees things that we don't. In training, Euell might be working his nuts off for a place in the squad. Awarding him with a seat on the bench will effectively spur on the younger players. They learn from players like Euell. If the likes of Bover/Popo/Smith/Warren see that Euell is being awarded a seat on he bench because of his effort in training, then obviously they're going to copy the experienced player. Euell is probably a motivational player to have on the bench and in the changing room. His experience and knowlledge of the game can effectively help the players with the more tactical play, but he could  help the coaches as well. His knowledge of the game is as good as anyone's. I trust CP's judgement though. If CP feels he's worthy of a place on the bench, then so be it.
  • Options
    Euell scored the winner in the 2-1 League Cup win against Championship side Reading.
    Like all that team, he played very well that day.
  • Options
    At least now he's cup-tied ;-))
  • Options
    Nice one, Large.

The Charlton Life sense of humour finally puts in an overdue appearance!

;o)
  • Options
    even i think he was poor sunday that there is no distracting from, he was a shadow of his former glory days, and i was saddened to see it tbh,  but i dont agree that he should be bombed out of the squad based on that one showing
    Agreed. I don't think anyone can say he had a good game, but the problem with the initial over-reactions, is that anyone with a more moderate view was bound to disagree with it, and you end up with a more polarised debate than you might get otherwise.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    As a manager you might like to have a few captains on the pitch - players you trust to do as you instruct and with the experience too. I suspect Euell falls into this category for Sir Chris. Also players who do the less glamorous things but important all the same -soembody who puts the team before himself. A manger looks at what players do when they haven't got the ball where as fans only look at what they do with it.
  • Options
     A manger looks at what players do when they haven't got the ball

Unfortunately, I think in Euell's case the answer is falls asleep :-)
  • Options

Whilst I agree Euell is past his peak, I think he, like Powell, loves the club.

At Notts County, Neal Bishop kicked the ball purposefully into the away support with a fierce drive and Euell was the first on the scene to declare his dissatisfaction at the actions, sticking up for the fans.

I believe Powell might see a coaching and mentoring aspect with him, and like many have said, he may be a great influence on the training ground.

It is a team game, and we need everyone to pull together, of which I think Euell will help achieve. I just think there are now many ahead of him in the queue for places, but I would never rule him out. Who knows, at the end of the season, a goal by him may mean automatic promotion over a play off place!

• Options
    For a 34, nearly 35 year old, making a rare first team start, playing up front, I thought he put in a tremendous amount of work and effort. Unfortunately he's lost a yard or two of pace which is so crucial for a forward. But he never stopped trying, very often dropping back into midfield to help out. That kind of attitute and commitment can be contagious. He had a poor game, but it was a difficult situation for him and due to his effort and commitment I would be loathe to critisise him.
  • Options
    At least now he's cup-tied ;-))
    More importantly, Benson isnt, could increase his transfer value.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Even if Euell is there for his 'experience' to help the younger players, hes been signed as a player, and Powell must of been expecting him to perform better than he is.

For all we know the other players might not even look up to him as much as some of the other older players.

Even as a 4th in line striker I donth think thats an excuse. All the strikers should be more than capable and at this level there is a lot of choice (which makes it hard to get right I suppose). No youths that can come in, with a bit of energy to close a game?

------

Might be doing stuff for the morale/might not. Dont see him as a player here for long.

• Options
    Does it really matter eh?
    The teams doing well, maybe a loan or two coming in, euell plays some matches and were still winning, why not move on now- this thread is pointless now.
    Thankyou for listening!
  • Options
    All the strikers should be more than capable and at this level there is a lot of choice (which makes it hard to get right I suppose).

No youths that can come in, with a bit of energy to close a game?
    Youth players are not generally there to close a game out when the game is tight. The manager puts his experienced players on to do that job.

The youngsters are more likely to get a run out when there is already a cruising score line, with little pressure - and the match is already won.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Fair comment and spot on Queensland in your observation. I never said that people were wrong to say Euell didn't have his best game, but some of the comments were too strong IMO. You wouldn't think we were clear at the top of the league and had just won a potentially tricky game 4-0.