Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Royal Oak

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    @Acab. Will try and get the full programme

@KevRoyalOak1 Glad you like it, have sent you a few more from down the years.

Beasley's was a Plumstead brewery bought by Courage in 1963 and closed in 1965.
    The Plumstead Brewery boundary wall was in Orissa Road at the junction of Conway Road opposite Gallosson Road, where I went to school. The Brewery Tap Pub on the junction of Lakedale and Conway Roads was aptly named.
  • Options
    News ShopperMENU
    News3 hrs ago
    Father and son save famous Charlton pub from becoming flats
    By Jamie Bennett-Ness  @bennettnessy
    The Royal Oak pub in Charlton, south east London, yards from The Valley.

A treasured Charlton pub has been saved from becoming another block of flats after a local son and father combo have fought to continue its legacy in the middle of the pandemic.

Just 200 yards away from the Valley, The Royal Oak has been a staple of Charlton Athletic match days for years, but with no football fans or even customers for over a year, the local faced demolition.

So Bexleyheath residents Kevin Latta and father Robert decided to step in and rescue the pub on Charlton Lane in an "instinctual decision" to keep the venue alive.

News Shopper: New pub owners Kevin and Robert Latta.
    New pub owners Kevin and Robert Latta.
    Kevin, 36, said he remembered going to watch Charlton play since he was a kid, and always went, then drank, at the pub before and after games.

The pub and restaurant owner acted quickly, agreeing a deal with the landlords and now the 'over the moon' duo have officially taken on the lease to carry on the pub's good name

The Royal Oak is now undergoing a complete refurbishment, with walls, floors and ceilings being ripped out, lights refitted, garden redesigned and even a new menu brought in.

News Shopper: The Royal Oak - before the refurbishment.
    The Royal Oak - before the refurbishment.
    Kevin said the pub has always relied heavily on football fans to make ends meet, one of the reasons it actually shut down in 2020, so for the first time the pub's kitchen will be producing "quirky, niche food" for local diners

"There's barely anywhere to eat around here, so it's an absolute no-brainer," he explained.

"There are just three pubs in the area, and one has already closed during the lockdowns, so I couldn't let another go.

"Our plan is to let the local community know we're here, get them onside and let them know what we're not offering."

This will help the site survive without the regular flux of football fans, at least until they are allowed to return in force.

Kevin revealed he had even been in touch with the club, who had invited him to visit their museum inside The Valley and take his pick of spare memorabilia to decorate the pub.

Now, the 36-year-old says they have their heads down working on the refurb, which should be mostly complete by the end of the month.

"We're getting by at the moment, and just looking forward to being ready for Boris to give us the go-ahead!"
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    clive said:
    iainment said:
    When and why did the brewery close? Was it bombed in the war? There’s social housing in the site now and it looks post war.
    The Beasley brewery was in Plumstead, South London. It was founded in 1845. And bought and closed by Courage in 1963.
    http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2010/05/random-brewer-of-week-beasley.html#:~:text=The Beasley brewery was in,brewing records in the archive.

I remember well walking past it many times as a kid - on the left as Brewery Road morphed into Lakedale Road. If it closed in 63 then it was likely already closed at the time I remember it - mid 60s then. Memory might be playing tricks on me but I recall a 10ft high brick wall running all along the boundary in Brewery Road as it curved into Lakedale.

All gone now, along with many others, including the Matchless factory in Maxey Road which is another fond memory. Ah the wonders of childhood memories.
    Thats just as i remember it, a wall similar to the Arsenal wall.
  • Options
    News ShopperMENU
    News3 hrs ago
    Father and son save famous Charlton pub from becoming flats
    By Jamie Bennett-Ness  @bennettnessy

A treasured Charlton pub has been saved from becoming another block of flats after a local son and father combo have fought to continue its legacy in the middle of the pandemic.

Just 200 yards away from the Valley, The Royal Oak has been a staple of Charlton Athletic match days for years, but with no football fans or even customers for over a year, the local faced demolition.

So Bexleyheath residents Kevin Latta and father Robert decided to step in and rescue the pub on Charlton Lane in an "instinctual decision" to keep the venue alive.

News Shopper: New pub owners Kevin and Robert Latta.
    New pub owners Kevin and Robert Latta.
    Kevin, 36, said he remembered going to watch Charlton play since he was a kid, and always went, then drank, at the pub before and after games.

The pub and restaurant owner acted quickly, agreeing a deal with the landlords and now the 'over the moon' duo have officially taken on the lease to carry on the pub's good name

The Royal Oak is now undergoing a complete refurbishment, with walls, floors and ceilings being ripped out, lights refitted, garden redesigned and even a new menu brought in.

Kevin said the pub has always relied heavily on football fans to make ends meet, one of the reasons it actually shut down in 2020, so for the first time the pub's kitchen will be producing "quirky, niche food" for local diners

"There's barely anywhere to eat around here, so it's an absolute no-brainer," he explained.

"There are just three pubs in the area, and one has already closed during the lockdowns, so I couldn't let another go.

"Our plan is to let the local community know we're here, get them onside and let them know what we're not offering."

This will help the site survive without the regular flux of football fans, at least until they are allowed to return in force.

Kevin revealed he had even been in touch with the club, who had invited him to visit their museum inside The Valley and take his pick of spare memorabilia to decorate the pub.

Now, the 36-year-old says they have their heads down working on the refurb, which should be mostly complete by the end of the month.

"We're getting by at the moment, and just looking forward to being ready for Boris to give us the go-ahead!"
    Interesting marketing!
  • Options
    clive said:
    bobmunro said:
    clive said:
    iainment said:
    When and why did the brewery close? Was it bombed in the war? There’s social housing in the site now and it looks post war.
    The Beasley brewery was in Plumstead, South London. It was founded in 1845. And bought and closed by Courage in 1963.
    http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2010/05/random-brewer-of-week-beasley.html#:~:text=The Beasley brewery was in,brewing records in the archive.

I remember well walking past it many times as a kid - on the left as Brewery Road morphed into Lakedale Road. If it closed in 63 then it was likely already closed at the time I remember it - mid 60s then. Memory might be playing tricks on me but I recall a 10ft high brick wall running all along the boundary in Brewery Road as it curved into Lakedale.

All gone now, along with many others, including the Matchless factory in Maxey Road which is another fond memory. Ah the wonders of childhood memories.
    Thats just as i remember it, a wall similar to the Arsenal wall.
    Same here, I used to walk down the other side of Lakedale as the Brewery Tap had a toilet you’d enter from the street. The aroma was just like the one behind the Covered End. Odd the things you remember from that age. I would only have been 5 or 6. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Here's a list of Beasley's pubs - there's the Royal Oak at number 75.

A lot have gone, I'm sure - but most are still here. Happy memories from my yoof of a lot of them (way too many really!!).

• Options
    bobmunro said:

A lot have gone, I'm sure - but most are still here. Happy memories from my yoof of a lot of them (way too many really!!).

Some great memories there, 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

I'm far too young to remember Beasley's but do remember many of the pubs.

Surprised to see the Chatterton Arms, near where I now live in Bromley on the list.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Surprised to see the Chatterton Arms, near where I now live in Bromley on the list.

So am I!
  • Options
    The locals are getting quite excited about a new Royal Oak too. As Brenda has already said, the last time the pub was a success was the best part of 20 years ago when Ray and Penny ran it. They worked their socks off to make it work as a local and Ray had takings down to a fine art on Saturdays. He had great bar staff and a system working to optimise serving. The staff all got a hot meal during the game and they were on point ready from 4.30pm to meet the post-match rush. The pub could be busy until 9pm when the locals began to arrive. Ray could take £7,000 on a good match day. Pretty sure they haven't had a sniff of that since but then again, they have had a succession of clueless or lazy tenants as we all know. I live less than 50 yards away and the local trade started to die off 15 years ago with the inconsistent beer selection, dirty glasses and poor bar staff. Licks of paint in the meantime haven't disguised the neglect, so it will be great if Kevin manages a decent refurb - it certainly looks like it so far. The bar menu looks decent (burgers, chicken and wings) and is well priced and available 12-9pm.

Hello mate,
    I look forward to a pint in the Oak with you mate.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

So am I!
    And the Freelands Tavern in Freelands Road. Probably hasn't changed much since the day!.
  • Options
    The locals are getting quite excited about a new Royal Oak too. As Brenda has already said, the last time the pub was a success was the best part of 20 years ago when Ray and Penny ran it. They worked their socks off to make it work as a local and Ray had takings down to a fine art on Saturdays. He had great bar staff and a system working to optimise serving. The staff all got a hot meal during the game and they were on point ready from 4.30pm to meet the post-match rush. The pub could be busy until 9pm when the locals began to arrive. Ray could take £7,000 on a good match day. Pretty sure they haven't had a sniff of that since but then again, they have had a succession of clueless or lazy tenants as we all know. I live less than 50 yards away and the local trade started to die off 15 years ago with the inconsistent beer selection, dirty glasses and poor bar staff. Licks of paint in the meantime haven't disguised the neglect, so it will be great if Kevin manages a decent refurb - it certainly looks like it so far. The bar menu looks decent (burgers, chicken and wings) and is well priced and available 12-9pm.

I have absolutely no doubt that Kevin will have a fantastic local on your hands once it’s finished and open.
  • Options
    Food menu. 
  • Options
    Expensive
  • Options
    Only 12 CAFC cash for a Signature Burger. Bloody bargain that.
  • Options
    Vegan strips. 

You’re welcome 😉 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Vegan strips. 

You’re welcome 😉 
    That’s the entertainment not food 

I know. How do you think I’m paying for my match ticket.......
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Expensive
    Depends on the quality of the burger!
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Expensive
    Depends on the quality of the burger!
    Seeing a post from you took me back to old take over days when I looked out for your news :blush:  - happy days!
  • Options
    yep not worth the grief :smiley:
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    yep not worth the grief :smiley:
    It’s always worth it mate 
    :)
  • Options
    I think that says match day burgers are 6 quid, I think thats what it says at the bottom.