Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Royal Oak

Comments

• Options
    Done
  • Options
    It’s not targeted at here @muppetman

• Options
    The locals are getting quite excited about a new Royal Oak too. As Brenda has already said, the last time the pub was a success was the best part of 20 years ago when Ray and Penny ran it. They worked their socks off to make it work as a local and Ray had takings down to a fine art on Saturdays. He had great bar staff and a system working to optimise serving. The staff all got a hot meal during the game and they were on point ready from 4.30pm to meet the post-match rush. The pub could be busy until 9pm when the locals began to arrive. Ray could take £7,000 on a good match day. Pretty sure they haven't had a sniff of that since but then again, they have had a succession of clueless or lazy tenants as we all know. I live less than 50 yards away and the local trade started to die off 15 years ago with the inconsistent beer selection, dirty glasses and poor bar staff. Licks of paint in the meantime haven't disguised the neglect, so it will be great if Kevin manages a decent refurb - it certainly looks like it so far. The bar menu looks decent (burgers, chicken and wings) and is well priced and available 12-9pm.

I remember getting a lift home from Lisa, one of the bar staff, after one game and just before the new owner took over from Ray & Penny.  She’d met him and he’d obviously said all the right things. All the staff would be there at the reopening and all would be good.  

When the day came, all the old staff had gone and the place was a shambles in comparison. It was chaos getting served and we gave up quite a few times.  Gave it a wide berth after that which was a shame as it had always been so good.
  • Options
    “Vegan chicken”. It can’t be both. Make your mind up!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    The locals are getting quite excited about a new Royal Oak too. As Brenda has already said, the last time the pub was a success was the best part of 20 years ago when Ray and Penny ran it. They worked their socks off to make it work as a local and Ray had takings down to a fine art on Saturdays. He had great bar staff and a system working to optimise serving. The staff all got a hot meal during the game and they were on point ready from 4.30pm to meet the post-match rush. The pub could be busy until 9pm when the locals began to arrive. Ray could take £7,000 on a good match day. Pretty sure they haven't had a sniff of that since but then again, they have had a succession of clueless or lazy tenants as we all know. I live less than 50 yards away and the local trade started to die off 15 years ago with the inconsistent beer selection, dirty glasses and poor bar staff. Licks of paint in the meantime haven't disguised the neglect, so it will be great if Kevin manages a decent refurb - it certainly looks like it so far. The bar menu looks decent (burgers, chicken and wings) and is well priced and available 12-9pm.

I remember getting a lift home from Lisa, one of the bar staff, after one game and just before the new owner took over from Ray & Penny.  She’d met him and he’d obviously said all the right things. All the staff would be there at the reopening and all would be good.  

When the day came, all the old staff had gone and the place was a shambles in comparison. It was chaos getting served and we gave up quite a few times.  Gave it a wide berth after that which was a shame as it had always been so good.

As soon as Lisa saw you entering the pub, the Guinness was being poured.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Tel - the bloke who took it on was a regular. He talked the talk and we all thought the pub was in safe hands. Ray and Penny were good friends of mine (they have just moved up to Suffolk) and Ray warned me off buying it as I was quite interested. He said it was increasingly difficult to make a living. He worked his nuts off 7 days a week and was making less than £50k a year. That was with Premiership full houses. Once the novelty wore off for the new landlord (about a month), he hardly did a shift. He used to come downstairs at 10.40pm for a pint and then ring the bell. The pub went down the pan rapidly and has yet to recover. Kevin Latta clearly has the experience needed and the revamp looks a lot more than the usual tosh-up. All the carpets were out today as well as furniture and fridges etc. I will be very interested to see what he's managed to do with the place. I know we all hope it can get back to it's hey-day.
  • Options
    I know you’re not a FB user CS but get Nicki to show you the vids on their fb group. Does look promising. 

God do you remember he took on the Horse while he was doing up the Oak, ie turning it in to a dentist waiting room. Right mistake all that was. Disaster. 
  • Options
    It’s not targeted at here @muppetman

Doh! :'(
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Tel - the bloke who took it on was a regular. He talked the talk and we all thought the pub was in safe hands. Ray and Penny were good friends of mine (they have just moved up to Suffolk) and Ray warned me off buying it as I was quite interested. He said it was increasingly difficult to make a living. He worked his nuts off 7 days a week and was making less than £50k a year. That was with Premiership full houses. Once the novelty wore off for the new landlord (about a month), he hardly did a shift. He used to come downstairs at 10.40pm for a pint and then ring the bell. The pub went down the pan rapidly and has yet to recover. Kevin Latta clearly has the experience needed and the revamp looks a lot more than the usual tosh-up. All the carpets were out today as well as furniture and fridges etc. I will be very interested to see what he's managed to do with the place. I know we all hope it can get back to it's hey-day.
    Cheers @Cardinal Sin - It was such a shame as Ray, Penny and the staff had it all down to a fine art, albeit with a lot of hard work.  People don't appreciate exactly how much you have to do to run a successful pub and it sounds like we ended up with someone who really didn't have a clue and then didn't like the idea of making an effort.  Kevin obviously has the background and knows what's needed.  Will be looking forward to getting back there when we all can.  And hope that Ray & Penny are enjoying life in Suffolk.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking very smart!

There's the rumours of outdoor opening in April but I don't think we'll see that happen and just fully open indoors & out from sometime in May all being well.
  • Options
    The bars starting to take shape now guys! 😍
    job lot of battleship grey paint going then  ;)
  • Options

Do you know you've got a floorboard missing, Kev?  :smile:

• Options
    Stewart said:
    Only 12 CAFC cash for a Signature Burger. Bloody bargain that.

plus £1.50 transaction fee....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hold up, I didn’t write the last line. 
    I’m happy The Royal Oak is having a makeover and can’t wait to tuck into a burger. 

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I spy hand pumps 😍😍😍😍😍
    No Erdinger Kev?.....booooo!
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Stewart said:

For us as a new business trying to start up in the middle of a pandemic I find this comment quite condescending and not very helpful to be honest. My mother always taught me, if you haven’t got anything nice to say then don’t say anything at all. 

PS we won’t be charging any transaction fee, but we will insist that if you wish to join us at The Royal Oak when we finally open again that you please be polite and respect the staff and other customers in the venue. 

Thank you 

Ban him @KevRoyalOak1 bloody trouble maker :- )
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Fumbluff said:
    Stewart said:

For us as a new business trying to start up in the middle of a pandemic I find this comment quite condescending and not very helpful to be honest. My mother always taught me, if you haven’t got anything nice to say then don’t say anything at all. 

PS we won’t be charging any transaction fee, but we will insist that if you wish to join us at The Royal Oak when we finally open again that you please be polite and respect the staff and other customers in the venue. 

Thank you 

Ban him @KevRoyalOak1 bloody trouble maker :- )
    I’m not sure if I know for sure that it was my Charlton related quip about his non-existent transaction fee or the original posters highlight of the burger price that has upset him. Oh well...
  • Options
    The bars starting to take shape now guys! 😍
    job lot of battleship grey paint going then  ;)
    It’s Ocean Grey 😉
  • Options
    See you in the pub @Fumbluff.
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Hold up, I didn’t write the last line. 
    I’m happy The Royal Oak is having a makeover and can’t wait to tuck into a burger. 

You just want a table to play f’ing cards at @Stewart