Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall's slide towards relegation continues

Comments

• Options
    Seen Millwall a few times this season. As could be guessed from afar their whole season relies on Henderson, who had a falling out with Jackett. Which I'm told was him moaning in match to Jackett that if he played they had at least to bother putting crosses into him. Personally he's 100% right. James Henry, who a lot of Millwall fans seem to love to hate, does put these crosses in but has been a little indifferent.

They miss Harris and Morrison. Harris added another zone to their game inbetween defenders and mifield, whilst Morrison operated inbetween the full backs and center backs when not threatening in the middle. They're a striker away from putting a good run together. If Clinton Morrison got his head together, he would be the perfect fit to take pressure off Henderson and keep oppostion back fours on their toes. Jackett's a bit hamstrung by wages he can pay, but all too often he seems to get very average players like Howard or was it Forbes(?) who clearly are not good enough. Still average fans can't seem to realise even crap like Howard is probably on 10 grande a week; and then Millwall are not paying the majority.

This 1926 Dock thing is not based on any fact I've seen. All my family worked on the river for centuries, and some are exceedingly knowledgable on disputes. There was a rivallry between the reds and the blue trade unons, but this I believe came through before 1926, and had nothing to do with which docks you worked at. Seen as ALL the unions in London under the PLA went out in 1926, I don't know who made this bullshit up. I very much doubt any of the TV Wet Ham fans interviewed have any clue of the real history of Trad Unionism in the docks.
  • Options
    Groucho used to post here.
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited January 2012
  • Options
    Interesting post. Colin Tat. Perhaps the docker rivalry isn't as much to do with trade union disputes but more to do just a rivalry between two sets of docks ?
  • Options
    Well my Millwall mate absolutely hates us, even more so when we were in the prem! Hates Spam more mind, regards us on about a par with palarse.
    The bit about us not having a 'firm' and thus being nondescript is probably true. West Ham had a fearful firm in the 70's, forget what they were called. But Muttley has got it absolutely right by saying Millwall filter out most of the crap fans in our area leaving us with our friendly 'family club' image. Which I am very thankful for.

Frank, when you do a few posts about what great ball control Stephens has or what a find Pritchard and Big Yann are we can start believing you are an Addick, otherwise you do come across as a spanner.
  • Options
    Wolfboy. You're probably thinking of the ICF in the 80s
  • Options
    Ah yes. The inter city firm. Glad I never met them.
  • Options
    We should change their name from Spanners to Sh*t Filters. I am seriously grateful to them and it would be terrible for us if they no longer existed. There was a time when they could have been bigger than us - I recall they used to get more in the 70s- but their reputation holds them back more than helps them. We have become the No1 SE London club and irrespective of the Divisions we play in, it is difficult to see that changing now.
  • Options
    Of course they don't like us!
    If they didn't care about us or consider us rivals why would constantly say this?
    We don't see Gillingham as rivals, but we don't go on and on about how they ain't our rivals do we?
    When they say the above, it's just a face, as if to say "we've got bigger fish to fry" I.E West Ham, but they're lying through their teeth, all the Millwall fans I know still go on about the 4-0 at The Den.
  • Options
    I don't know many people that hate Charlton, if any, but that is part of our charm. We've never been heavy weights in the football violence stakes although are no angels. We don't go for new gimics, we have a great old historic ground, a history of big crowds back in the day with a sense that that fan base is still waiting to be truly re awoken, hence a lot of potential, a real up and down history and with a set of fans who actually are prepared to put their money and actions where there mouths are. We aren't as notorious as Millwall and we aren't as ridiculed as Palace and it's just one of lives natural laws - Charlton are likeable - you've either got it, or you aint.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whatever they say, it will hurt them greatly when we swap places.
  • Options
    We should change their name from Spanners to Sh*t Filters.
    i am loving your idea muttley.
    From now on i will refer to them as you suggest.
  • Options
    the desperate nature of the ticketless millwall fans when it was -2 at the valley on the last saturday before christmas to be loitering round there proves one thing only .............we do mean a lot to the scum
    i mean perleeease if we don't mean that much why bother going to all that hassle of posturing in a firm of 80 hard men if you wanna slip in the ground

weird weird weird
    Think you struggle to comprehend the difference between a good local rivalry/derby and passions that run a lot higher with other teams.

Loads of Millwall live in the same areas Charlton draw support from. Charlton is the closest ground for many Millwall fans too. It's a good local derby that we have the better off by a long chalk. Quite a few Millwall have Charlton friends or family, an away game at The Valley is like a home game and people will want to go. Not sure why having ticketless fans outside all of a sudden puts you up at number 1.

Of course Millwall fans care if we beat you & if we lose to you. But it's not as painful as losing to Palace or to West Ham.

For the vast vast majority of Millwall, their hatred is for Palace or West Ham or both. I don't see many who froth at the mouth over the thought of Charlton.

Millwall v Charlton is a big game for both sets of fans, but not as big as others....one of which is only a few weeks away which will have many more ticketless fans heading over than went to the Valley (although I concede our ticket allocation has something to do with that....)
  • Options
    @sparrows

Straight question. Do you think you will stay up ?
  • Options
    @sparrows

Straight question. Do you think you will stay up ?
    I'm not confident of saying yes! If one striker just all of a sudden gets some confidence then we should be fine; our defence is tight (barring last Saturdays freak result) and we do create chances...it's just taking them.

• Options
    My mate is a Millwall nut - he appeared on TV when flying back from Barbados for the FA Cup semi final a few years ago. he claims they won the game, but I really can't remember them playing in the final? I have several mates who are Millwall supporters, but I have no mates whatsoever who support Palace. My son is marrying a girl whose dad is a Palace fan. He said to my son ''have I upset your dad, he can't look me in the eye''. I used to play golf at Westerham and my old man thought I was acting like a kid because every time Ron Noades came into the club I would go outside. Just couldn't bear to be near the pratt. Grandad supported Millwall, so have never hated them. Not sure why I hate them so much. That said, I have never met a palace fan I liked, that might have something to do with it.
  • Options
    I work with a Palace fan and he is a top lad.
  • Options
    Nope, don't believe it. Not possible.
  • Options
    No chance all palace are Divs
  • Options
    Nope, sounds far too unlikely to me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't believe that for a second.

He really supports the Wendys but is too embarrassed to say.

• Options
    hope they fold
  • Options
    3,700 ish watching them drub Dagenham
  • Options
    So do i which is why i can't take any of this football banter too seriously - there are lots of generalisations about fans of certain teams but when all is said and done, it's all just a bit of fun and there are all sorts at all clubs. I'm going to have a lie down and regain my partisan bias, feeling far too reasonable.
  • Options
    See Josh Wright came on for them in the 77th minute
  • Options
    No sign of Racon. Is he their Alonso .....?
  • Options
    She use
    So do i which is why i can't take any of this football banter too seriously - there are lots of generalisations about fans of certain teams but when all is said and done, it's all just a bit of fun and there are all sorts at all clubs. I'm going to have a lie down and regain my partisan bias, feeling far too reasonable.
    Spot on. Only have to look on this board as a cross section of charlton support and youll find people who couldnt be more different from each other.

Know some palace and millwall fans who ive got more in common with than some charlton fans. But then again theres some packets of frozen peas Ive got more in common with than some Charlton fans! ;-)

• Options
    Rodders... what your green hang around in a crowd and give off a cold sterile vibe? love peas
  • Options
    Rodders... what your green hang around in a crowd and give off a cold sterile vibe? love peas
    Ha ha ;-)
  • Options
    got a 5-0 tonight .. will this signal a revival ?