Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall's slide towards relegation continues

123457»

Comments

• Options
    They were playing Desperate Dagenham
  • Options
    SLL........Millwall judge their rivalries and hatred by the amount of aggro they can have against the rival supporters, it's got nothing to do with football, or even local rivalry, and IMO measures Millwall as a Club.
  • Options
    Cup run won't help. Missing games when the rest of Champ are playing and then having to play catch-up. Lovely.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I think Sparrows has got it about right. There is always an exception but most Millwall fans I know don't hate Charlton and many are more than happy to go along to games, often with their Charlton mates.

One of my best mates is Millwall, yet he follows Charlton fairly closely, lives in Sidcup and his son attended local community football run by the Addicks.

I can remember being at the old Den in 1970's in the days before many wore much in the way of colours and being in a group of blokes I was convinced were Charlton, by their knowledge of the players etc. When Millwall scored they showed their true allegiance.

For me Palace were the team to hate, and Charlton and Millwall quite regularly made common cause against the Nigel's.

I have to say when I was younger, I admired the passion that came across from Millwall fans. In the late 60's and early 70's there seemed nothing but apathy and despair from most Charlton fans -a feeling of decline and harking back to past glories, whereas with Millwall their best years were ahead of them at that time.

Since then our fortunes have ebbed and flowed but finally from the battles to return to the Valley we regained our self-esteem as a club and that has, I think, carried us forward. Whilst the recent good times have been lost, the passion was re-kindled during the wilderness years and that has stayed with us. Our gates have held up very well despite the crap of the last four seasons.

With Millwall now, they feel to me like a club in decline, no longer quite the fearsome reputation for menace of yesteryear which was attractive to a certain type of supporter yet despite the new ground, and perhaps some change in the demographics of the area, struggling to find a more family based identity.

I live away from the area now, although my family originally come from the Deptford, Lewisham and Catford area (or Rushy Green as my Nan would have it!) So if I am wrong, no doubt Sparrows will put me right.
  • Options
    @SLL I understand all the macho posturing/hardman bollox that makes the rivalry with west ham or whoever may mean more but we mean so much more than all the downplaying some of your fans do
    I was in a box @ millwall for the 4-0 and all the millwall fans taking pictures of each other at the end and jubilation showed that beating us meant so so much, it was cringey but confirmed my views that despite the general massacre we receive when we play you a victory against us means as much as any .... The home fans in attendance for our visit outnumbered anything you've had there in years against palace or west ham (west ham is prolly restricted)
    It's the denial that gets me ...... I had dozens of texts from millwall goons who I hadn't had much contact with about football for years when we got relegated to league one , it confirmed that the intervening 15 years of 1& 2 league supremacy had hurt them

I think c*** filter sounds better btw
  • Options
    What Threadkiller said.
  • Options
    Great post Bingaddick and reflects my views and experiences with Millwall.
  • Options
    Remember May 2010 receiving text messages from Millwall fans giving stick for us remaining in League One and of course them getting promoted, weeks this went on for! Also logging on toFacebook and seeing updates, pictures and posts about how Millwall are going up and how funny it was watching Nicky Bailey's penalty flying over the bar.
    With any luck I'll be feeling very smug come May 2012.
  • Options
    BR7_addick, it may be a generational thing. It occurs to me though that cyberwarriors, wind up merchants and trolling on internet sites is a little different to true malice.

It is so easy now to send off a post mugging off a rival. I am talking about palpable hatred. I have seen very little of that from Millwall fans.
  • Options
    what falconwood and threadkiller adhered to
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @bingaddick
    Probably is a generational thing, I'm sure a few younger Addicks are in the same boat as me!
  • Options
    It's the denial that gets me ...... I had dozens of texts from millwall goons who I hadn't had much contact with about football for years when we got relegated to league one, it confirmed that the intervening 15 years of 1& 2 league supremacy had hurt them

I wasn't the only one getting this then.

• Options
    @gray9
    I had texts from Millwall fans who have been to 2 games in the last 5 years, the playoff defeat to Scunthorpe, and the playoff victory! Although it's harmless banter, it does boil your blood.
  • Options
    I tend to agree with Bing on this and see very little to suggest that Millwall fans have any real hatred for us. Yes there is of course a local rivalry but I suspect that the jubilation observed in Millwall fans after the 4 - 0 humiliation at The New Toolbox a couple of years ago was far more to do with their fans seeing an emergence of their club from years of looking at our premiership exploits with a little envy and seeing bragging rights restored in their favour. Who can blame them for that.
  • Options
    They do have a lot of plastics. Last night all over facebook were comments like "We've got our Millwall back" but haven't seen a football status from them for ages.
  • Options
    And how many bloody X5's/Freelanders/Discoverys do see with plates like AG58 MFC etc driven by blokes on Saturday afternoons? Loads! Like Black Cabs KP57 WHU!!
  • Options
    "Bloody press..........we're nice people really !"
  • Options
    Looks like Jackett accepts his mistakes from last summer ,I suspect he talking about the likes of our old friend Hameur Bouazza and Jordan Stewart .

Interesting he continues the line about being a smaller club.

Jackett told the club's official site: "There's a certain type of player required to play for Millwall. Perhaps at times I've brought in better players but worse people.

"The mix of character and personality can sometimes help a smaller club overcome adversity. I certainly made the wrong assessment on those two things last summer.

"It took me a little while to address that and get a hard-working group together that cared for the club and produced big performances when they were needed. That's something I will adhere to going into the summer."

Read more on NewsAtDen: http://www.newsatden.co.uk/2852-jackett-summer-signings-disrupted-harmony-at-millwall.html#ixzz1uSVqpYBf
  • Options
    "There's a certain type of player required to play for Millwall, ones that like playing in half empty stadiums with no away fans and having objects thrown at them is really what I am looking for”
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "There's a certain type of player required to play for Millwall, ones that like playing in half empty stadiums with no away fans and having objects thrown at them is really what I am looking for”
    LOL
  • Options
    I was surprised when Millwall were trying to assemble our 08/09 relegation squad.
  • Options
    I was surprised when Millwall were trying to assemble our 08/09 relegation squad.
    It's their secret strategy to achieve their ambition of a return to the Third Division.
  • Options
    We knew Racon wasn't a good fit.
  • Options
    Racon hasn't even started a game for them - LOL.
  • Options
    Guy in a shop in welling taunted in sept over the signing of racon. Signed our best player apparnently.