Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAPELLO GONE !

Comments

• Options
    Pardew for England? I will personally run down Oxford Street with a kilt on singing Flower of Scotland if he was even considered .
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    As dear old Len Glover would say....... posting this without reading the thread. Mainly cause I've just got in......

Capello should have gone after SA 2010 WC. He came in with a reputation as being a disciplinarian and that obviously was not the case. He continued to keep picking from "The Lost Generation" loads of players that just were not good enough. Ferdinand,Heskey, Crouch, Cole (A), Gerrard (YES! Bloody Steven Gerrard. Never done it for England), Lampard, Barry, Milner, Downing etc
    Wayne Rooney is the only over 25 year old worth his place.
    I know what we need but I'm too tired to type it now. See you all in the morning.
  • Options
    I couldn't care less what happened next to be honest. No affinity with any of the team at all.
  • Options
    I'm interested to see who the FA pick as the next manager, but I'm not looking forward to the circus that will follow that decision around before and after it happens. As far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't matter if we had the best crop of footballers ever to grace the earth available to us, the media would still bring the set-up down and England would still fail. None of the players even want to play for England, as one mistake, one bad result and they're hounded for weeks. David de Gea has made plenty of mistakes this season, but United are sticking by him and the likelihood is he'll be a better player for it. If a debut England keeper made just one of the mistakes de Gea has made he would never play for England again. Case in point being Rob Green - not the best keeper by any stretch, but his England career was ended by one mistake that every keeper makes in their time. When a striker makes his debut and doesn't score, it's said he 'failed his audition', as if every good striker scores in every game he plays, which is why players like Maradona and Pele have 100% scoring records. Or not.

When Sven allowed the players to take their WAGs to the World Cup they praised him for bringing a new teamwork based ethos to the set-up, then buried him for it after we went out. Then Capello took the players to the World Cup and secluded them, which the media thought was a great idea, getting 'the boys' focused on the matches to come...until we went out and now the media accept that as a horrific mistake not even a schoolboy would make. And who can forget the way several England players were criticised for their shocking lack of empathy for the fans who paid to see them at the World Cup by spending time in the airport after their defeat sitting and smiling and in some cases drinking a single beer. The first articles about Capello? 'Disciplinarian'. 'Tactician'. 'Bringing back the authority to the role'. 'Just what we need'. Now? 'Bully'. 'Authoritarian'. 'Old-fashioned'. They criticise his use of 4-4-2 like he swapped out the players for traffic cones. It's a big joke and it's really no wonder that there's no pride or effort from the players when all they have to come home to is either 'you useless mugs can't even beat Brazil' or 'well of course you beat Sweden, what do you want, a parade?' I'm just glad in the lower leagues there's no break for internationals so I don't have to pay attention while it saps my soul
  • Options
    I think his position was pretty untenable. For the FA to decide to strip Terry of the captaincy without consulting him was tantamount to a slap in the face. Harks back to the olden days when they picked the team as a committee. No wonder he resigned.
  • Options
    Harry or Jose ... Preferably Jose for me ... He's the best manager in the world...
  • Options
    If the likes of greece can win the euros then so can we. It isn't a matter of lacking ability. Yes the fans and press can be a problem but a decent run normally deals with that. The new manager needs tactical nous but he also needs to build a unit that truly will fight for each other (instead of with each other). Clearly a division has existed within the squad for some time. Terry should never be picked for an england squad again as his bullying personality negatives impacts on morale (regardless of any racist allegations). In fact most of the old guard should go and we should use the euros to blood young players.
  • Options
    Don't agree with most on here I think HR would be a great England Manager
  • Options
    Pardew for England? I will personally run down Oxford Street with a kilt on singing Flower of Scotland if he was even considered .
    Be VERY careful what you promise. I reckon that would get a better turn out than most palarse home games.
  • Options
    If I'm right I think Capello only lost 6 games as England manager? He had a terrible World Cup which people remember but there was the whole split in the camp over the whole Terry and Bridge fiasco if I remember right. Capello was and is a very good manager there is no doubting that, the fact he's been managing a load of fuckwits is the bigger issue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Robbie Keane has just announced his childhood dream was to manage England............
  • Options
    Emile Heskey has missed the opportunity to be the new England manager..............
  • Options
    how come curbs is never in the betting anymore for any jobs ??
  • Options
    how come curbs is never in the betting anymore for any jobs ??
    Better ask ooahh
  • Options
    Apparently SCP is in the betting odds and my brentford supporting mate was like "Why the fuck would people choose Chris Powell over Uve Rosler?" !!! Retard ... haha. I would like Pearce, or O'neill, but tbh im ok with Redknapp.
  • Options
    If they pick Pearce, even for the Euros, they'll surely have to find a new manager for the Olympic team.

I reckon Pearce will be involved but not as the boss.
  • Options
    If I'm right I think Capello only lost 6 games as England manager? He had a terrible World Cup which people remember but there was the whole split in the camp over the whole Terry and Bridge fiasco if I remember right. Capello was and is a very good manager there is no doubting that, the fact he's been managing a load of fuckwits is the bigger issue.
    Fuckwits he picked, tbf.

• Options
    Capello was and imo is a great manager, he has won loads and his win % was good enough for me at the helm of the England team.

But was he the right man for the job,

No, he wasnt after the wally with the brolly the England football team was at its lowest Eb , the FA were in panic mode and as always in this situation they looked short term, the went for a big name offered big bucks, and along came cappello
    a man who couldnt speak fluent English, A man dour in appearance, a man who ruled like a dictator, an iron fist my way or the high way,

but a man who didnt want to go out there and set the World alight with his team,

I say this because imo he picked an aging England team to go to the world cup, (an easy option imo) instead of looking longer term, bigger picture, Why did he do this

a) he wanted an easy ride to the knockout stages
    b) he had no long term ambition to be England Manager past the world cup (unless he was offered a silly contract extension)

If Cappello really was that bothered about the England team and Future (i think he viewed it as a job only not as a long term project)

Would he have missed the U21's tournament, the U19's Tournament, Would he have stuck with

Terry,Lampard,Ferdinand,Green,Upson,Barry etc

No he wouldnt, 1 or 2 of them may have survived the axe but not all of them no chance no way

It was because IMO he was not English he didnt care about creating a legacy that would out last him in his Job

It is my opinion that the next man must be English so lets see the options available

1, Harry The golden boy at the min with 75-80% of the England fans and press, The wheeler dealer, Some will say he cant do the England job, he is good at finding players and turning them into better ones from obscure places around the world,

Well ok thats a fair point , but spin it round, why cant Harry find good English players from lower down the English Youth set up U21's U19's, U18's, etc and create a way of getting these guys ready for the legacy of an England team , forget the club side of things for a minute the first 11 of the England team has to come from the best clubs the best players playing in th best leagues, But imo Harry can do this Wheeler dealer style but in a differing way to what he does now,

negatives is he the best tactically will he be able to cope under the extreme pressure it will bring

2, Pardew, Like it or not his name will keep cropping up , Bar us the bloke has had an amount of success everywhere he has gone , i dispise the fella i hate him but i also believe the club was on a downward spiral we were destined to end up where we are regardless of who we had at the helm because we were spinning out of control,

Whats he good at , well it seems the fella can polish Shite, which in some respects is what we need, Wet Spam, Barcodes not great teams but 1 got to an Fa Cup final the other is pushing for 4th place but more likely to finish in top 6 with very little spend

negatives

He is a walking ego the players will hate him i am sure of that as he will be the star of the show, he will talk shite and put posters up about other people talking shite

3,Hogson, Got Fulham to a European Final, is a nice man, experienced in many levels of football across several countries

negatives
    Oh come on the only reason he gets mentioned at all is that he is English , he did ok with Fulham failed at blackburn, failed at liverpool, failing at wba

4, Hoddle, was a really good England manager done well enough at Tounaments done well at most clubs he has been at, the key for me in this one is the academey that he has set up, this is exactly what we need to do but in a senior England set up way, go get the young players design create a way in which they can see their career paths, and go from U16's the first 11 if they do a,b,c,d

Negatives, He is still a bit odd, he has been away from the game in its highest form for too long, and he was so good as a player that the noises from within the camp were that there was distain when players couldnt do what he expected

Interesting times ahead for the national team my bet is that the FA screw up royally and we will be in the same situation as every other year since Sir Bobby

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Harry or Jose ... Preferably Jose for me ... He's the best manager in the world...
    And you know Jose is the best Manager in the world because...........he told you?
  • Options
    Garry Manilow, great post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As unfashionable as it is these days I am an England supporter, Gold membership, travel away 2/3 times a year and go to all the Wembley games, have done since Sweden 92, this doesnt give me any more of an opinion than anyone else on the national team but sometimes the general feeling among regulars differs from that of the Daily Mail/TV watching fan

Its fair to say that the players and mangement lost us after the South Africa debacle and we have been going out of habit for the last 18 months with the attitude that we would be following England long after the current crop have moved on. Whilst Capello's discipline initially appeared to be good news it was very much a short term thing and he soon showed worrying shortcomings and appeared to be one of the boys.

I would love an English manager and Harry would seem to fit the bill now he has been cleared, only Mourhinio could offer an alternative and think/hope its a two horse race between the two.

Can we win the Euro's, no I dont think so, will we win a tournament again, yes but having a blind sense of optimism is compulsory for following England....

• Options
    NLA, I disagree about a couple of points, first the language. Capello didn't seem to have a problem communicating with players at Real Madrid or with any other non-Italian players he has managed over his career. He also picked English up fairly quickly, did anyone see him on Goals on Sunday? He could quite easily converse with the presenters there. And to the players, many in the English set up have either played or are playing for managers whose native tongue is not English, again many have been successful so is that really a problem or just something the masses can use as an excuse to get rid of him?

As the long term future, I agree with what you say about the World Cup, he did go back to the ageing players and that was a huge mistake. However, since then look at the players he has picked, there was definitely a mix of youth and experience. We have a 24 year old keeper who is firmly number 1, backed up by two 26 year olds. The defence includes Phil Jones (19) and Kyle Walker (21). In midfield Jack Rodwell (20) recently made his debut, Wilshere is only (20), Cleverley (22) has been called up. Other players that are still relatively young include Young (26), Johnson (24), Lennon (24). In the forwards Sturridge is (22) and Welbeck (21). All of these that have been mentioned have either played or been called up in the past year. That to me looks like a team that is being built to go forward.

let's also not forget here is a man who missed his own son's wedding for a friendly match, how easy would it have been to make his excuses then and miss it especially when you already know after the Euros you won't be there?

All the excuses I have heard from people about why he should have gone simply make no sense to me. Bottom line is there seems to be a xenophobia amongst the fans of the England national team. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the cricket side being guided to number 1 by a South African. And indeed in many other sports in other countries the head coach/manager is not from that country. So why all this hatred?
  • Options
    Man U fan at work has thrown an interesting name into the mix: Raffa Benitez. Hmm - good in cups, loves England...
  • Options
    Colthe3rd

I agree with you regards the players he has picked since the worldcup, but most if not all fans wouldve taken wiltshire,walker,Jones and i reckon all wouldve started with Hart in goal, he also tried to get Scholes back for the world cup and Carragher (not sure if he actually went), my point is was meant that i just dont think he thought about being here long term and was therefore hoping that an aging team which was safe would enhance his rep and allow him to be better positioned to move

The wedding point i had forgotten about and that was a huge thing to sacrifice, especially as it was a rearranged game

I dont think its xenophobic the distain to Cappello i think it is his presnce and the fact that he definately played partying in the Links to Italy before the World cup was it Inter that he was touted as going too

I had no problem with his pedigree nor his nationality , i also loved Sven as boss,

i just think now its time to go back and look English, from the top down and if we do that and go with youth over experience i think an English manger will venture down to the younger tournaments and see the vision that is needed

• Options
    Can only be Harry or Mourinho for me. Both would have the utmost respect from the players and both would get the best out of the current crop.

Yes, it does mean Spurs losing Harry but at the end of the day, I think we were pretty much resigned to losing him at the end of the season anyway in one way or another. I wouldnt deny him the chance of managing England. He deserves it for what he's done for us. He goes with my blessing if Levy manages to bring in Mourinho, Capello or Hiddink to replace him at the end of the season. Interesting few days ahead and will be interesting to hear what comes out of the lunchtime press conference at the FA.

Not going to be very happy if we lose Harry in the run-in and end up having a caretaker Spurs manager.
  • Options
    Don't think any current club manager should be asked to do the job before the end of the club season. I would appoint Pearce for now and assess available candidates in May.
    Unfortunately the way the press are acting anyone not called Harry Redknapp is going to be considered second choice and for that reason will probably not want the job or get the player respect they deserve. Hopefully in the next day or two he'll make it clear whether he'd be interested in the job this summer or not.

Anyway I'm glad Capello has gone, I don't believe there was any passion, verve or excitement in the team with him at the helm - look at his total lack of ambition with squad selection in the World Cup fpr example.
  • Options
    Dont think Capello was all that bad to be honest. SA didnt work for some reason, but most of what came either side was better than id seen in a while. He blooded some decent youth after SA and they took their chances. England are in a much better state now than when he came along.

Still, as it's now happened I just hope they get someone experienced like rednapp to do a 'part time' job through the Euros and then look at a perm replacement after.
  • Options
    According to SSN Pardew rules himself out.
  • Options
    According to SSN Pardew rules himself out.
    What a mug, should keep his mouth shut. Complete arrogance to assume that he would even be considered, then if they did call him this week he'd be out of St James Park faster than we dropped down the leagues!
  • Options
    if someone is specifically asked I don't see anything wrong with ruling themselves out

PS themselves ... is that okay? I think so!