Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wolves Sack Mick McCarthy

Comments

• Options
    Had him as guest at a Bromley Addicks meeting a year or two back......very nice fella, he was on a hiding to nothing at Wolves.
    I've an idea that (secretly at least) he might not be too unhappy about it at the end of the day, it's been a long old struggle hasn't it.
    A decent wage and he gets his contract paid off and can live in luxury without stress from here on. What's not to like?

• Options
    Now that Megson has taken the Wendies as far as he can, perhaps he'll be ready for a step up?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Had him as guest at a Bromley Addicks meeting a year or two back......very nice fella, he was on a hiding to nothing at Wolves.
    I've an idea that (secretly at least) he might not be too unhappy about it at the end of the day, it's been a long old struggle hasn't it.
    He already lives in luxury BFR......as someone else already mentioned, Chislehurst to be precise

• Options
    The reason McCarthy has brought in the players he has is simple.....

1) They are all the club can afford, Morgan is not a billionaire and Wolves commercial income would be one of the lowest in the Premiership.

2) Not even the smoothest talking boss can persuade players that Wolverhampton really is a wonderful place to live - you get the players that few other Premiership clubs want.

3) Those "British" style players were best suited to Wolves combative style, hard to bring foreign players into that culture.

Fine I have nothing against 'British' players. I have something against signing players acquired with the same philosophy and not getting anywhere near mid-table class. I like his championship signings of Foley, Henry, Edwards, Ebanks-Blake, Jarvis and Kightly. He's signed a fair few foreign players around the 2-3 mill mark with little result. The majority of his outlay is on British talent, who are proving themselves to be relegation fodder. One would have thought it'd be better to buy a few youngish players who are at the top of their game in the champ as well. Get Morrison on the way up, not the way down, when his prem return is faltering.

How many footballers care about where they work if the money's right? Ask Zubar if he prefers Marseille or Wolverhampton, and then ask him what he's doing at Wolves. For a team that really relied on Jarvis, Kightly and Henry in the champ, he hasn't replaced them or solved their required backup issue.

• Options
    Am I missing the connection between Mickmack and Charlton/Bromley Soundas?

• Options
    Curbishley evens favourite at sky bet .
  • Options
    You can get 6.6 on Betfair.
  • Options
    If Curbs is sitting by the phone I fear he'll have a long wait!
    No chance, I dont think Curbs will manage again, its been to long.
    agree with this, can't see Curbs getting a prem job and can't see him accepting anything lower

• Options
    Probably the most honest and straight talking manager around, I would guess that he won't have to wait too long for another job, probably in the Championship. Managers these days know the score, succeed or depart. Frustrating but lucrative. If Owners and Directors had to have some proper qualifications to hold the post, other than a wad of money, then football would be a much better balanced game. Unfortunately the supporters have to stand by and watch a bunch of amateurs mess about with the Club that is such a big part of their lives.
  • Options
    Really don't get all the Mick Mac love on here. I think he's a massive tool and completely overrated.

Really awful manager and just because he "tell's it like it is" in his northern drawl doesn't make him a man of the people. He's an idiot and he deserved the sack because Wolves have been gash for ages now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I assume it was because he lived so close by and Ben had the good idea to approach him........nothing to do with The Addicks of course but his views about us and football in general made it a really great evening in his company.
    He's very witty by the way.

• Options
    Probably irrelevant, but Mick is a very nice man despite his Millwall connection ! .. it is a fact though that he has chopped and changed the team, signed players then not played them, played players in unfamiliar positions and for a good defender it has looked as though he is incapable of passing on his knowledge to his ever changing back fours. I have a soft spot for Wolves, one of the classic old clubs from a deprived area of the country. I just hope that Mr Morgan resists the temptation to appoint Steve Bruce. Neil Warnock might be a good shout.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Really don't get all the Mick Mac love on here. I think he's a massive tool and completely overrated.

Really awful manager and just because he "tell's it like it is" in his northern drawl doesn't make him a man of the people. He's an idiot and he deserved the sack because Wolves have been gash for ages now
    Nothing surprises me in footaball management these days but got to agree with most of these sentiments. Has struggled to establish himself as a quality premiership manager. Eventually screwed up at Sunderland and was going the same way with Wolves IMO.

Mortimerician said
    I believe he is still a member at Sundridge Park Golf Club and was pally with some of the former Charlton Directorate there and may have been on their short list to be our manager at one time!
  • Options
    McCarthy was interviewed for our position when they gave it to Dowie (spit). Nice bloke, certainly knows how to get a club promoted - not sure whether he's not given sufficient money or it's his management, but he seems to struggle with keeping them up. Wolves don't seem to have progressed under him, and if he'd kept them up this season I suspect they would have been battling relegation again the following season. They should give it to Billy Davies. As for Curbs, I disagree with all of this "he's been out of the game too long stuff". Kenny Dalgleish was out of it for over a decade and he's doing a much better job than his predecessor. He should have got the Villa job instead of McGleish. My prediction - Poyet gets the Spurs job when Harry goes, and Curbs takes over at Brighton. He's far too good to be managing in a poxy town like Wolverhampton.
  • Options
    Interesting Soundas - very impressive that he'd give of his time like that, too. I imagine a premiership manager is pretty busy so giving of his time to speak to supporters of another team really speaks of a love of the game. I imagine he'd be a good guy to speak to.
  • Options
    (Curbs) should have got the Villa job instead of McGleish. My prediction - Poyet gets the Spurs job when Harry goes, and Curbs takes over at Brighton. He's far too good to be managing in a poxy town like Wolverhampton.
    Interesting theory. More interesting that Curbs has commented that he'd talk to Wolves. Seems keen to have his name out there but maybe it is the Villa job he wants not Wolves.
  • Options
    Interesting Soundas - very impressive that he'd give of his time like that, too. I imagine a premiership manager is pretty busy so giving of his time to speak to supporters of another team really speaks of a love of the game. I imagine he'd be a good guy to speak to.
    He was living literally round the corner at the time. I think he was Ireland manager at the time but can't remember when it was now.

He was a good guest and told some good stories but had arranged to go for a curry at 9.30 so the evening finished too early.

Bromley Addicks used to get quite a few non-Charlton guests (John Motson, Graham Kelly, McCarthy, a couple of league referees) but it got much harder to contact and book them. Was all agents and fees so we were out.
  • Options
    Agree with much that has been said here about MM and the lack of resources he has had to cope with. However, I felt gutted for him yesterday when you watched the spiritless performance that was dished up by his players. They should be ashamed of themselves. Mind you, it can't have helped him when his chairman undermined him by blasting the players in the changing room after the Liverpool loss. Too many chairmen nowadays think they can 'manage' the team! MM will get a job quickly I am sure.
  • Options
    @FriendOrDefoe I'm sure we could also find many examples of McCarthy getting a good reaction from his teams after bad results. Many of us have been to
    meetings with Curbs and know he is intelligent, cool and witty. We also know something about their records and I don't think MM would have considered he had taken a team as high as he could, as did Curbs. Hence the impression.
  • Options
    Mick Macarthy is the most northern bloke in the world. That's all i have to say on the matter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Re Curbs and whether 'he should'.
    Criteria limited to taking into account just two things. 1) Who's the chairman? Doug Ellis, Briatore, Mandaric, Bates, together with quite a few others, no way.
    2) Never take on a relatively successful team after a proven star manager - Fergie, Wenga, Mourinho. Possibility of matching the previous incumbent's results
    are slim. In Wolves' case, it's the chairman. I'm sorry for their next coach, even if he succeeds in keeping them up
  • Options
    I think Swisdom forgets that Wolves were a perennial Championship side before MM. Loads of managers tried to get them up: Hoddle, Graham Taylor, Dave Jones etc and all failed until him. He then kept them up which is a difficult trick on little budget. Is nonsense to suggest he's an idiot.

Curbs is 2/1 with Sky Bet now so I don't think the George Graham comparison is fair, Chirpy.

Steve Bruce is the other favourite. I don't know why anyone would want him given how bad Sunderland looked under him this season and how good they've looked under Martin O'Neill.

Sadly, I doubt Curbs will get the job. Early favourites rarely do and he seems somehow doomed to not get his just desserts.
  • Options
    Curbs has been away from the action for too long.

Billy Davies for Wolves I reckon.
  • Options
    I don't think Wolves would appoint anyone wihtout some Prem experience.
  • Options
    Curbs needs to get back into management he wants a premiership job.
  • Options
    Curbs has been away from the action for too long.

Billy Davies for Wolves I reckon.
    I'll never understand the 'been away from the game too long' nonsense. What, are you not allowed to use your feet anymore or something? Will Curbs be unable to man manage the new human-badger hybrid footballers? Will he struggle to get his head round the fact players are now paid in the blood of the innocent rather than cold hard cash? I imagine he'll take one look at Sylvan Ebanks-Blake kicking a ball at a goal in training and realise the game has passed him by in his 4 years not managing a club
  • Options
    Wolves were appalling yesterday, gave up at 2-1 and got a hiding. they've not been much better all season, not surprised by MicMac getting the tintac
  • Options
    Like Mick Mac, imho done a fine job at Wolves when you look at where they were when he took over. The problem at Wolves is the expectation levels from the fans are perhaps unrealistically high and Molineux is not the nicest place to play home games when under pressure (sounds familar from our own not too distant past). They are hardly dead and buried but need to sort out their home form and some of the better players need some consistency (Doyle/Johnson/Jarvis).

The right manager can keep them up, however even if they do stay up, without investment, hard to see them going much higher than bottom 5.
  • Options
    I can see it very much being the case if you're a lower league manager and start losing your connections, and I can see it at the top of the game if you're coming into a club without a very good scouting network like Newcastle and Tottenham have nowadays. There is no way you can succeed without a very large team checking out players at the top level, and Curbs certainly was not creative in his acquisition policy at Wham or us; and no I'm not saying it was bad at us.

Jones did get Wolves promoted. As for Davies, what a joke, proved to have assembled the worst Premiership team in history; and you had to see it to believe it, 8 million just on Earnshaw, Davies and Miller.... dear dear... just fooking dear. I quite like Mccarthy, anyone sacking him and getting Davies is just looking at losing their investment.
  • Options
    I would love to see Curbs have a crack at managing a Premiership side, he's been round the block , if anyone can keep Wolves up then it's him, got Tevez playing out of his skin at West Ham, could he have the same impact at Wolves? Time will tell.