Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wolves Sack Mick McCarthy

Comments

• Options
    I can see it very much being the case if you're a lower league manager and start losing your connections, and I can see it at the top of the game if you're coming into a club without a very good scouting network like Newcastle and Tottenham have nowadays. There is no way you can succeed without a very large team checking out players at the top level, and Curbs certainly was not creative in his acquisition policy at Wham or us; and no I'm not saying it was bad at us.
    Jones did get Wolves promoted. As for Davies, what a joke, proved to have assembled the worst Premiership team in history; and you had to see it to believe it, 8 million just on Earnshaw, Davies and Miller.... dear dear... just fooking dear. I quite like Mccarthy, anyone sacking him and getting Davies is just looking at losing their investment.
    I'd say, given his budget, Curbs was extremely creative in his acquisition policy particularly in the immediate aftermath of our second promotion to the Prem.

All about opinions though.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I'm not quite sure what the Wolves board seriously expect. McCarthy was on a hiding to nothing. I reckon they will go down and we will be up against them next year. If Curbs was to get the job they would imo have a fighting chance of staying up. It is unbelievable (to quote Kamara) that a manager of Curbs standing has had to wait so long to get a job when you consider that people like Alan Pardew and Mark Hughes and that chap at Blackburn all have jobs. He is quite right that his record stands up to scrutiny. Only self righteous Wet Spam fans would moan about him and even then I seem to recall Curbs kept them up and led them to to a higher finish than they are ever likely to have again unless they are bought out by a very rich individual!
  • Options
    Steve Morgan is a Liverpool fan who bought Wolves after the Pools people wouldn't sell him Liverpool. He only went into the changing rooms to get Kenny's autograph (thats a joke). He has put a considerable amount of his fortune into football so fair play to him, but he hasn't got the money to compete with the budgets of the Man Cities or the Chelskis. For that reason he wouldn't have lasted long at Liverpool!

So Curbs would find himself in a similar situation to the one he was in when he left us, without the glory of having got us there and up to 7th. Realistically what could he achieve there other than just keeping them up? I'd be surprised if he thought it a good way to get back on the touchline. High risk and could damage his pretty good reputation. I like the theory regarding Spurs, Poyet, and Brighton. That's a club Curbs likes and lives near and there is still room to do the "take them up" thing. I don't reckon he will ever be offered a big club to manage though.

Wolves would do well to hire Warnock I reckon.
  • Options
    I have a feeling that Curbs will never again manage a 'top' club. He was Charlton through and through at a place where because of the particular and peculiar set of circumstances surrounding CAFC when he took over, he was given a lot of time and leeway to come good, which, of course he did. He was not a success at West Ham, although he did keep them up. But a club of WH's standing and the money he was given to spend on players meant that 'survival' was the very least he could be expected to achieve. I could see him as a 'director of football' but no longer as a manager/coach. Those days are behind him and I doubt that in his heart of hearts he really wants the hassle and interference that nowadays is part and parcel of a managers job.
    Anyway, as for Wolves, unless Morgan can tempt one of the bright young things into committing professional hari kari .. Warnock should be his man, though he now lives miles away in Devon or Cornwall and at 60+ .. does he need the hassle any more ?
  • Options
    I'd say there are only one or two jobs that Curb's would still be interested in nowadays..............and I doubt very much that Wolves is one of them.
  • Options
    No real shock with this. think the chairman sealed this the other week by barging in the changing room and undermining MM. Also thought another nail was placed on MOTD2 when Lee Dixon said He'd seem to have run out of ideas and had no fight in him anymore.

Still think he's a decent manager. He's been given a very tight budget and expected to work miracles with it. Sooner or later there comes a time when your luck runs out.

Now they'll likely to be playing CCC next season in an inproved molenuix that they have no chance of filling.
  • Options
    Curbs has said he's interested and his record is streets ahead of the other candidates. However his fate doesn't always fit so no dounbt it's Steve Bruce 359th club
  • Options
    Curbs is not passed it at the age of 54 but he needs a club in the premiership that will give him time.
  • Options
    When the 3rd goal went in yesterday, "I said he'll be sacked, no doubt".
    I like Mick, but have to say Wolves are looking worse not better.
  • Options
    Surprising? No.
    Ridiculous? Yes.

Curbs? Would do well for them.
    Will he get it? No, probably not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He was not a success at West Ham, although he did keep them up.

I think he did pretty well - they think they're a bigger and better club than they are, which is not much more than a yo-yo club.
    They may have found his style of football less delightful than they think they are entitled to, but he was working under the icelandic biscuit magante, and although he did seem to blow some hefty cash on has-beens, he got them well up the table and I bet many of them looking back would swap that for where they are now.
  • Options
    Curbs may be interested, but would Wolves fans accept him because of his link with Birmingham?

Danny Wilson, and Alex McLeish, both have a sizable section of fans that won't let their respective past associations with local rivals.

Mind you, I feel this is the last opportunity for Curbs to get back into management.
    Blues and Wolves are not really rivals, at least not fierce ones. It's all about Baggies vs Wolves and Blues vs Villa. They're rivals but only in the sense we're rivals with West Ham, the atmosphere is a bit spicier on a matchday but we wouldn;t hold someone being ex West Ham significantly against them.
  • Options
    I'll miss Mick. Always had something interesting to say and had no time for a lot of the double talk and sucking up most managers go for. I was watching the match with my dad and I said he was finished when the 5th goal went in. Ever since the Chairman had that bizarre rant at the players he'll have been waiting for a performance to sack McCarthy off the back of. I wanted Wolves to stay up but without Mick I've realised I actually don't care which is a shame. Hopefully he'll get back into management soon, though I feel the future looks a bit bleak for Wolves. It's not like they can bring any new players in now, their best loan signing in Frimpong is knacked and no-one seems to have any form save for Fletcher. I see Colin getting the call
    Agree completely - I thought he was very honest and entertaining and will miss his interviews on MOTD....

• Options
    Will Wolves be the latest club to make the mistake of thinking Steve Bruce is a good manager?

This is made for Curbs.
    As he said recently, he has been offered jobs, but has turned them down for a selct hit list of his own choosing.

• Options
    I'll miss Mick. Always had something interesting to say and had no time for a lot of the double talk and sucking up most managers go for. I was watching the match with my dad and I said he was finished when the 5th goal went in. Ever since the Chairman had that bizarre rant at the players he'll have been waiting for a performance to sack McCarthy off the back of. I wanted Wolves to stay up but without Mick I've realised I actually don't care which is a shame. Hopefully he'll get back into management soon, though I feel the future looks a bit bleak for Wolves. It's not like they can bring any new players in now, their best loan signing in Frimpong is knacked and no-one seems to have any form save for Fletcher. I see Colin getting the call
    Agree completely - I thought he was very honest and entertaining and will miss his interviews on MOTD....

Have always disliked Wolves. They're supporters are not very pleasant, quick to turn on their team and have an over blown sense of their natural status in the game. Same goes for Blues. Seems all the sensible people in the West Midlands plump for Albion or Villa when choosing their team.

That said, I wanted Wolves to stay up under Big Mick, as you say he's an honest and dignified character in a world with more than it's fair share of dodgy characters. His teams play entertaining, if a little naive, football too. I'm sad for him, but he'll take the settlement cheque and find work soon enough. I don't think the board had much choice, the on field capitulation by the players was embarrasing but it was clear all through the first half that Albion's shape meant they were totally dominant in midfield. Wolves got lucky by going in level, but Mick didn't really make changes and paid the price second half as Albion's dominance took hold again.
  • Options
    Wolves chairman saying he is interested in Curbs

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/20876/7518924/Morgan-keen-on-Curbishley

Hope he gets it and keeps them up
  • Options
    I'd be very surprised if he went there is all I can say........just doesn't seem to fit in some way.
  • Options
    This does tick the boxes for both Curbs and Wolves .

I don't think the fact it is a long way from his home on the East London / Essex borders matters after all Mccarthy still had a family home in Chislehurst .

I think Curbs stayed with us for so long because it suited him , in his autobiography he says that one of the reasons he did not take the West Ham job in 2001 was because his son went to school with a load of Hammers fans and he didn't want put put further pressure on him if results went badly , With our supporter base mainly being south of the River and in Kent this meant he was close but not too close to home while his kids were at school .

With his kids now grown up I suspect that this is no longer an issue and he would be open to a job outside the M25 .
  • Options
    Also he has already lived in that part of the country.

• Options
    I'll be rooting for him big time ... Would love to see him in the job...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/13/alan-curbishley-wolves

Looks like that Curbs might be in with a shout. He used to manage West Ham you know. Did he do anything else in football?
  • Options
    Any Wolves cast offs who we might fancy taking if Curbs gets the job?
  • Options
    No cast offs please but they have lots of decent players who MM either didn't get the best from or didn't pick. However, first catch the rabbit .. see if Curbs gets the job. I don;t think that he will.
  • Options
    Why Colin?
  • Options
    It'll be Steve Bruce
  • Options
    Curbs being interviewed: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7524092/?
    I wonder what his answer will be to the what did you do in your last job?
  • Options
    Another connection for Curbs is the fact his brother Bill manages ex Led Zep front man Robert Plant who is Vice President of Wolves.
  • Options
    Curbs was getting the thumbs up from the guys on the Monday Night Club and my Facebook is awash with Wolves fans saying they want Curbs.

I think Curbs is magic, but even putting aside my bias I think he'd be a great appointment for them. They ahve some average players but also some pretty decent ones, but whenever I've seen Wolves this season they seem to have plenty of spirit (2nd half on Sunday aside) but have been poorly organised and very vulnerable to set pieces. If there's one thing we always were under Curbs, it was well organised. He's tactically astute and will get them in order. If he can sort them out quick enough then they have better players than at least 3 sides in the Prem and will stay up, it's just if he'll have time or not.

People talk about his football being dull, but it isn't when he has players good enough to play good football and still get results. He's a pragmatic manager and can set his sides up to win ugly, but also knows how to play good football when he can - his promotion winning sides were a joy to watch as were the teams for the first 3 or 4 years of this century. Any manager who signs players like Jensen and Di Canio is no Gary Megson when it comes to being anti-football.

Even with Powell doing so well, I'd still have him back in a heartbeat. Happily Powell seems to be a manager in Curbs image - I'll be delighted if we can look back on Powell in 15 years time in the same light as we do Curbs.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Didn't realise Curbs was ''managed'' by Phil Smith and First Artist. I think they represent 'Arry as well, plus numerous players such as Adebayor and Arshevin (and that's before we've even got on to the second letter of the alphabet!)