Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wolves Sack Mick McCarthy

Comments

• Options
    itiititittl
    Curbs was getting the thumbs up from the guys on the Monday Night Club and my Facebook is awash with Wolves fans saying they want Curbs.

I think Curbs is magic, but even putting aside my bias I think he'd be a great appointment for them. They ahve some average players but also some pretty decent ones, but whenever I've seen Wolves this season they seem to have plenty of spirit (2nd half on Sunday aside) but have been poorly organised and very vulnerable to set pieces. If there's one thing we always were under Curbs, it was well organised. He's tactically astute and will get them in order. If he can sort them out quick enough then they have better players than at least 3 sides in the Prem and will stay up, it's just if he'll have time or not.

People talk about his football being dull, but it isn't when he has players good enough to play good football and still get results. He's a pragmatic manager and can set his sides up to win ugly, but also knows how to play good football when he can - his promotion winning sides were a joy to watch as were the teams for the first 3 or 4 years of this century. Any manager who signs players like Jensen and Di Canio is no Gary Megson when it comes to being anti-football.

Even with Powell doing so well, I'd still have him back in a heartbeat. Happily Powell seems to be a manager in Curbs image - I'll be delighted if we can look back on Powell in 15 years time in the same light as we do Curbs.
    Very, very tough job at Wolves, the biggest problem is that he has to do it with the same players McCarthy had - not easy.

Wolves are already bottom three and as others have pointed out their fans are an awful bunch to play in front of when things are not going well.

Very, very tight at the bottom and its basically three from five, isn't it?

QPR
    Blackburn
    Wolves
    Bolton
    Wigan

For mine, I reckon QPR, with their new players, will be OK and Kean seems to have turned the corner at Blackburn for now at least.

Bolton still have some very decent players - apart from Zat Knight - and a top manager and Wigan....well, they are Wigan aren't they?

I can't see Wolves doing enough to put three teams below them.
  • Options
    Wish Curbs all the best but wish him luck with the Wolves fans. Hopefully if he gets the job, he'll hit the ground running, if they don't, not looking good for them.
  • Options
    Absolutely Orminster, it's a tough job but there's also no pressure on him in the sense that it's not expected that he'll keep them up, just strongly hoped and they are far from a lost cause. Sunday aside, they've been in most games I've seen them play.

Personally, I'm unconvinced by QPR, they've spent good money but they spent it on big names who probably don't have the ability to match their reputation. Zamora is a good buy, but I'm unconvinced by most of their other signings - especially whether or not they have the stomach for a relegation scrap.

Bolton have really missed Holden and the Korean lad who's name temporarily escapes me and Cahill has gone. Outside of those players I don't think their squad is particularly any better than Wolves' and they had a terrible result against Wigan the other day.

Blackburn are improving but will that continue?

Wigan are gonners, I'm sad to say because I very much like Martinez.

Tough job on Wolves, but I don't think they are that far away from being good enough to stay up. Like I say I don't think they have the weakest squad in the bottom 5 and they do score a decent number of goals. Of the bottom 5 they have the only in form goalscorer in Fletcher. If Curbs were able to tighten them up a bit I think they'd still have a good chance.

I think it'll be Wigan, Bolton, QPR and I'd have said that if Big Mick was still at Wolves, but it's probably going down to the wire.
  • Options
    Absolutely Orminster, it's a tough job but there's also no pressure on him in the sense that it's not expected that he'll keep them up, just strongly hoped and they are far from a lost cause. Sunday aside, they've been in most games I've seen them play.

Personally, I'm unconvinced by QPR, they've spent good money but they spent it on big names who probably don't have the ability to match their reputation. Zamora is a good buy, but I'm unconvinced by most of their other signings - especially whether or not they have the stomach for a relegation scrap.

Bolton have really missed Holden and the Korean lad who's name temporarily escapes me and Cahill has gone. Outside of those players I don't think their squad is particularly any better than Wolves' and they had a terrible result against Wigan the other day.

Blackburn are improving but will that continue?

Wigan are gonners, I'm sad to say because I very much like Martinez.

Tough job on Wolves, but I don't think they are that far away from being good enough to stay up. Like I say I don't think they have the weakest squad in the bottom 5 and they do score a decent number of goals. Of the bottom 5 they have the only in form goalscorer in Fletcher. If Curbs were able to tighten them up a bit I think they'd still have a good chance.

I think it'll be Wigan, Bolton, QPR and I'd have said that if Big Mick was still at Wolves, but it's probably going down to the wire.
    Fair enough Exiled but I have to remind you that Wigan really are like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction....you think they are dead and buried and they somehow find a way back every year, just look at their 2-1 win at Bolton last week!

If Curbs goes there then I wish him well, it might get REALLY interesting if Villa get pulled towards the bottom themselves....
  • Options
    itiititittl
    Curbs was getting the thumbs up from the guys on the Monday Night Club and my Facebook is awash with Wolves fans saying they want Curbs.

I think Curbs is magic, but even putting aside my bias I think he'd be a great appointment for them. They ahve some average players but also some pretty decent ones, but whenever I've seen Wolves this season they seem to have plenty of spirit (2nd half on Sunday aside) but have been poorly organised and very vulnerable to set pieces. If there's one thing we always were under Curbs, it was well organised. He's tactically astute and will get them in order. If he can sort them out quick enough then they have better players than at least 3 sides in the Prem and will stay up, it's just if he'll have time or not.

People talk about his football being dull, but it isn't when he has players good enough to play good football and still get results. He's a pragmatic manager and can set his sides up to win ugly, but also knows how to play good football when he can - his promotion winning sides were a joy to watch as were the teams for the first 3 or 4 years of this century. Any manager who signs players like Jensen and Di Canio is no Gary Megson when it comes to being anti-football.

Even with Powell doing so well, I'd still have him back in a heartbeat. Happily Powell seems to be a manager in Curbs image - I'll be delighted if we can look back on Powell in 15 years time in the same light as we do Curbs.
    Very, very tough job at Wolves, the biggest problem is that he has to do it with the same players McCarthy had - not easy.

Wolves are already bottom three and as others have pointed out their fans are an awful bunch to play in front of when things are not going well.

Very, very tight at the bottom and its basically three from five, isn't it?

QPR
    Blackburn
    Wolves
    Bolton
    Wigan

For mine, I reckon QPR, with their new players, will be OK and Kean seems to have turned the corner at Blackburn for now at least.

Bolton still have some very decent players - apart from Zat Knight - and a top manager and Wigan....well, they are Wigan aren't they?

I can't see Wolves doing enough to put three teams below them.
    It would be a 'win win' for him though. If they go down then the feeling would be the damage had already been done so he'll get a chance to rebuild for next season (like Pardew for us). If they stay up he'll be a hero.
  • Options
    I don't think it would be win win, I really think it could be the difference one way or the other in his career.

Do well and he's a bright young English manager who did well at Charlton, West Ham and now Wolves.
    Do badly and I think people will say he only did well for us.

The job he did at West Ham is viewed different by different people, could go either way.
  • Options
    I wonder who he'll bring in for his staff? A quick google shows that Mervyn Day is chief scout at Leeds, while Glyn Snodin was assistant a Leeds until he and Grayson were sacked.
  • Options
    I suppose another point is that no other Premiership club looks like offering him a job, so why not take this one? What is there to lose?
  • Options
    He needs a job soon. Another 12 months and he'll have been away too long.

Wolves fans are not always very nice, and can be a bugger to play in front of (although give great backing when they like what they are seeing) but there are quite a lot of them so they have potential.

I'm sure he'd like to be starting somewhere in mid table or higher, but I don't see many better offers coming his way right now - even if we think he deserves better.
  • Options
    Without wishing to generalise or tar them all with the same brush, in my experience Wolves fans are all thick c***s.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Without wishing to generalise or tar them all with the same brush, in my experience Wolves fans all have thick c***s.
    How much experience?
  • Options
    On Twitter this has just been posted.

Alan Curbishley's son has his say RT @macurbs "he wants it but he didn't seem very confident after the meeting!" #managerlatest #wwfc
  • Options
    Wonder if he'd want Keith Peacock with him, if he gets the job?
  • Options
    I'm sure Keith would turn it down, especially if he has to spend any evenings in beautiful Wolverhampton
  • Options
    I think I'm right in saying Keith is 'more or less' semi retired.......he must be in his late 60's by now.

• Options
    Warnock now being interviewed, which if he gets it could leave the Huddersfield chairman looking rather foolish...
  • Options
    Warnock now being interviewed, which if he gets it could leave the Huddersfield chairman looking rather foolish...
    But maybe not as foolish as QPR's.....

• Options
    Poor Curbs obviously isn't great at interviews!
  • Options
    unlike Dowie.. :)
  • Options
    Clearly he needs a Powerpoint presentation...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poor Curbs obviously isn't great at interviews!
    Clearly he needs a Powerpoint presentation...
    Praps.
  • Options
    Curbs just turned down Wolves job! on SSN
  • Options
    SSN has just said Curbs has been offered the job and turned it down. No idea what's going on there
  • Options
    SSN has just said Curbs has been offered the job and turned it down. No idea what's going on there
    doesn't surprise me at all .. I've a feeling that Curbs will never again manage in the League or the Premier
  • Options
    I think I'm right in saying Keith is 'more or less' semi retired.......he must be in his late 60's by now

Keith is 66.

• Options
    Hmmmm.....now turned down by Curbishley, Warnock and Bruce and unable to talk to Championship managers McDermott and Poyet.

I don't think the Wolves board really thought this one through properly, did they?

Still, if they are looking for a 'fire fighter' then Venables, Joe Kinnear and probably even Terry Marsh are all available.
  • Options
    Ah, well, there's always Dowie!

"Winning with Wolves"?
  • Options
    Never trust a bloke called 'Jez'.....
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17112269

Wolves go back for Curbs and fail. Reckon they'll panic and appoint Lee Clark as he'll be the only one interested
  • Options
    Let Terry Connor have the job.

He'll be the second black manager out of the 92 clubs along with Chris Houghton.