Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton - Stevenage Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    delroofer said: Jim Davidson obviously had a bet at 2-1 and was screaming for the ref to award Stevenage a free penalty at the end!
    . So not such a great Charlton fan after all then???
  • Options
    I should have mentioned that the ball was on the halfway line at the time!!

I should also have congratulated Victoria Stanyon on her impressive pre-match performance.
  • Options
    Great performance ( well, 2nd half ) & great result. Should "we" have ever doubted it ?

Solly gets better every time I watch him play - definitely my MOM with the other 10 close behind.

Onwards to Chesterfield on Tuesday !
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Posting before reading.

2-0 could (perhaps should) have been 5-0 had Bradley put away 3 other chances a goalscorer of his pedigree might be expected to take. That said he put away probably the hardest chance of the lot to make it 2-0.

The players certainly seemed up for this and when they remembered to play football in the first twenty minutes or so of the second half, rather than get sucked into head tennis, looked far better than our opponents to the extent that I began to believe that the only people who were going to defeat us today were ourselves.

Morrison's goal was worth a fiver of anybody's money and would be endlessly shown on TV if he played for a Prem club. Solly battled like a terrier on speed and Yann and Bradley ran their wotsits off. That doesn't mean the rest were bad just that the names mentioned stuck out more for me.

I was apprehensive about this one (hence the Operation Stevenage thread) but the lads rose to the occasion admirably and for that I thank them. The Lucky Charm came today and continues his 100% winning record.

Last but not least good to meet up again with some lifers in the Lib today especially Webby whom I'd not met previously.
  • Options
    Great result against a well organised team. Can't see anything stopping us now that BWP has ended his drought. Like the look of Freeman, might be worth a punt when we go up.
  • Options
    Sounds like I missed a top, top day. Bugger :(

COME ON YOOOOOU REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    The Sun will come out tomorrow. But for me, Morro brought the sun out today.
  • Options

As for BWP scoring today, i'm not so sure. We sit West Stand lower 20 odd rows behind the away dug-out and looking `in line' as he shot. It all happens so quick but it looked like it was going a good yard or two wide and was bundled into the goal by their retreating defender. Hope i'm wrong but can see it being amended as an O.G. in the next couple of days.

Yeah, that's how I saw it too (unfortunately). Luckily the TV Cameras are on the other side of the pitch though, so the angle won't be great and I doubt anyone will bother trying to take it off him.

Good win today. And well done to the young lad sitting just in front of me who brought along his bird with a really top notch pair of Bristols on display - really cheered me up.

• Options
    Well happy today, felt a little out of place dropping down to the north stand lower and it was agony watching BWP chipping the keeper, then see the ball go over. As you Oliver sinking a bottle or two of vin rouge. (Living in Surrey now you see)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great win, great performance all round and getting back to our best. On another day it could have been 4 or 5 , but this is Charlton and we don't like to belittle other teams as it would be unsportsmanlike !!

As for BWP.........can really only fault his first half header as it shouldhave been on target - as for the rest...........the goalkeeper saved trhem and that it what he is in the team to do !! Its not as if BWP missed the target or scuffed his shot - he hit them hard & true and the keeper did what he is paid to do. I'm just pleased we have started creating chances again............

only another 20 points needed - could be done before Carlisle!!

• Options
    Three very important points.

It will be easy in the next few weeks to get caught up in the countdown to how many more are needed to confirm promotion, but think we've got to try to enjoy this period: we're still unbeaten at home, seem to have got a good hard-working squad and we're finally heading back in the right direction.

All in all, it doesn't get much better than this in football!
  • Options
    Great win against a very good team in this division! I am so happy that BWP got back on the scoresheet! The team today were fantastic especially second half hopefully this will reinvigorate our season as it comes closer to the end. I reckon maybe another 6 wins for promotion. Come on Charlton!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Good performance, still a bit to do to get back to our assurance of earlier in the season but so much better than recent performances.

What was the ref on, stopping play every time one of their players went down .. not head injuries ... and even gave them the ball when one of their players was injured off the field of play behind their goal and the keeper kicked the ball out of play and we threw it over the line for a goal kick.

Morrison goal on SSN - Even better 2nd time round - get in
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Just finished a match report, detailed preview available as well if anyone's interested at http://thematchreport.tumblr.com/ Constructive criticism welcomed :)

Charlton Athletic 2 - 0 Stevenage (25/02/12 - Match Report)
    A record-breaking crowd at The Valley witnessed a comprehensive Charlton victory over promotion rivals Stevenage.

Bradley Wright-Phillips ended his extended goal drought after a Michael Morrison thunderbolt had given Charlton the lead shortly after the break.

Thousands of fans took up the Football For A Fiver scheme, and the resulting crowd of 26,546 broke the 37-year-old Charlton record for attendances in the third tier of English football. The home supporters were not left disappointed, as a free-flowing Addicks side could’ve had many more than the two they notched, with Boro ‘keeper Chris Day producing a series of fine saves to keep the score respectable.

Charlton immediately started on the front foot, boosted by some booming early support from the home stands. Rhoys Wiggins had a powerful drive charged down, before Danny Green nearly scored directly from an in-swinging corner, something he has been threatening to do throughout the season. Day had to be alive to claw the ball out of the top corner, with no one left on the back post.

The match was a physical encounter, especially in the early stages. Stevenage top-scorer Chris Beardsley was taken off just 22 minutes in, after Charlton’s top marksman, Wright-Phillips, was the subject of lengthy treatment. The Addicks had begun to build up a head of steam, and this stoppage in play disrupted their dominance. Stevenage began to take control, former-Arsenal attacker Luke Freeman saw a shot deflected wide and shouts for a penalty fell on deaf ears after Yann Kermorgant looked to have tripped captain Mark Roberts.

However, slightly against the run of play after 28 minutes, the hosts produced the move of the match. Goalkeeper Hamer sent the ball left to Wiggins, who brilliantly kept the ball in play before laying the ball off for Morrison. The towering centre back sent a cross-field pass long to Kermorgant, who nodded down for Green. His vicious cross was met from close range by Wright-Phillips, who could only send his effort inches over the bar. The expansive play being shown by the Addicks was something that has been missing from their performances recently, after a spell in October and November where the Addicks managed an impressive 19 goals in just 5 games, conceding three in the process.

Wright-Phillips and Jackson failed to capitalise on half-chances, before the former was sent through by his tireless strike-partner Kermorgant on 36 minutes. Charlton’s Number 10 opted to lob the ‘keeper from the chipped pass, and saw the ball sail agonisingly over from inside the area. His frustration at failing to score again, after 14 games without a goal, was evident and he perhaps rued the opportunity to rifle the ball past the onrushing Day.

Chris Powell’s men started the second half in magnificent fashion. After a corner had been half-cleared by the Stevenage defence, Morrison out-muscled his marker before unleashing a terrific half-volley into the top right-hand corner. That was the centre-back’s fifth league goal of the season, after joining from promotion rivals Sheffield Wednesday in the summer, and left the brimming Valley bouncing. Powell labelled the strike a “wonder goal”, and it set his team up for an inspired second half.

15 minutes later, Wright-Phillips finally ended his barren run with a deflected attempt. Stephens played him in with a precise low pass, before the front-man angled his drive across Day and into the goal via a deflection off Jonathan Ashton. The defender was charging back to clear the ball, but only helped in forcing it in when it appeared the initial strike was flashing wide. Wright-Phillips’ team-mates didn’t mind about the nature of the goal, however, as a full-team celebration emerged (minus the ‘keeper, Hamer) to revel in his break-through. The home faithful erupted into numerous chants for the striker, and the relief right throughout the club was clear to see.

Green had cut in from the right and seen his left-footed drive flash past the post just moments before the goal, and seconds after it Wright-Phillips was sent clear again. He raced onto a lofted ball, but saw his drive beaten away. Wiggins then saw his fierce attempt saved, as opposition manager Gary Smith made a substitution to try and stem the flow of Addicks attacks. However, minutes later Wright-Phillips spurned another chance to increase his tally, opting for placement over power, but his shot was blocked by the legs of Day.

A break in the Addicks dominance was found after a free kick was dubiously given against Green. The deep centre from Scott Laird was headed just off target by Roberts, and then Laird opted to shoot from a free-kick inside his own half after spotting Hamer well off his line. Fortunately for the Addicks ‘keeper, the attempt only succeeded in finding a section of the home crowd situated high-and-wide from the goal.

Charlton skipper Jackson made way for pacey attacker Haynes shortly before full-time. The influential midfielder was making his first appearance since despatching two penalties against MK Dons three games ago, and his replacement Haynes also marked his return from injury here. Playing on his unfavoured left side of midfield, Haynes received the ball from goal-scorer Wright-Phillips, and jinked past two defenders before seeing his effort firmly stopped by Day. The ‘keeper then again denied Wright-Phillips, who could have easily scored a hat-trick if it weren’t for Day’s heroics in goal.

The match ended with the Addicks playing five in midfield, after energetic midfielder Bradley Pritchard had replaced name-sake Wright-Phillips to allow the latter a deserved standing ovation, for what was a hard-working performance. The final whistle brought an eruption of cheers from the 20,000+ home fans, in commemoration of one of the finest displays seen at The Valley for some months. The scoreline somewhat understated the hosts’ dominance over a team viewed as serious promotion contenders, although the result meant that Stevenage dropped out of the playoffs for the first time since early January. League leaders Charlton extended their advantage at the top to 10 points, although second placed Sheffield United visit Hillsborough for the Steel City derby on Sunday. With such a large cushion over any rival, Chris Powell looks set to lead his side to promotion come the end of the season.

WG.
  • Options
    Three very important points.

It will be easy in the next few weeks to get caught up in the countdown to how many more are needed to confirm promotion.

currently 30 :)

• Options
    Jim Davidson obviously had a bet at 2-1 and was screaming for the ref to award Stevenage a free penalty at the end!
    Taking advantage of football for a fiver then :-)

• Options
    @ Will
    That's good mate but Stevenage is not in London :D
  • Options
    Solly is the reason I love charlton

Kerrm is so good it's a joke.
  • Options
    As for BWP scoring today, i'm not so sure. We sit West Stand lower 20 odd rows behind the away dug-out and looking `in line' as he shot. It all happens so quick but it looked like it was going a good yard or two wide and was bundled into the goal by their retreating defender. Hope i'm wrong but can see it being amended as an O.G. in the next couple of days.
    I was hoping no one else had spotted that. Fingers crossed he gets to keep it as he deserved one.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    @ Will
    That's good mate but Stevenage is not in London :D
    Oops, changed it. Thanks :)
  • Options
    Jim Davidson obviously had a bet at 2-1 and was screaming for the ref to award Stevenage a free penalty at the end!
    Taking advantage of football for a fiver then :-)

There were a few others around us who must have done the same, including Jonatan Johansson, Paul Elliott and Steve Gritt. I'm not sure how the fiver gets you into the Director's Box though.

• Options
    First half was a struggle. Stop start football. Looked good when we got behind them, missed a few chances, but in general ball played in the air to much. Ref should have got those injured players off the pitch. Second half missed the morrison goal waiting for my pasty (doh). Game seemed over from the minute I retook my seat. Bwp sealed it and the result was not in doubt. We could have easily knocked in five. I think we will go up now. Hope we get the title as well.
  • Options
    Just got back. Haven't read any comments.

For me this was an excellent performance and much better than the last game. This was CP's best team and they played like one.

The centre back pairing is as good a pairing as we have had in a long time. They support one another brilliantly. In Solly and Wiggins we have a couple of full backs who are at least a league above in ability. All in front of Hamer who looks increasingly assured.

Across midfield we had strength, workrate and ability. With Jacko back in the side, we really looked balanced and effective.

Up front we have two real quality attackers. BWP could have had four or five. His movement and workrate was excellent. For me though, the jewel in the crown is Kermorgant. This guy is an exceptional footballer, whether it be in the air or on the ground. His workrate for the team is exceptional and he also takes responsibility defensively to lend his height to support the defence.

I felt we edged the first half and although Stevenage had their moments midway through the half, they really didn't look dangerous especially with our superb centre backs winning all the key aerial battles. BWP missed chances that with more confidence he may have taken.

The second half, especially after we scored was really all Charlton. Stevenage had to open up and we cut them to ribbons time and again. So pleased for BWP that he finally got his goal but disappointed for him that he didn't add to his tally.

All in all an excellent performance watched by such a large crowd. How often these kind of occasions end in disappointment. Not today.

CTID! COYR!

One aim!
  • Options
    Just got back home......great day out.....started in the the Lib met up with a few lifers my thanks as always to AFKA/Henry Irvine/T.C.E/Len Glover and all for their welcome excellent start to the proceedings........sat in NW quad with T.C.E..........Victoria Stanyon excellent......1 mins applause excellent (also observed very well by Sevenage fans)......good view........great atmosphere and a completely rocking valley.............first half ok....stevenage did what they came to do and keep the ball in the air......second half when we managed to get the ball down we played some good stuff......Morrow's goal was a bullet no keeper would have got to it......after going 1 up we then bossed it cant remember Hamer a save to make all game .....BWP took his goal well and could have scored at least two more...but good keeping from stevenage stopper......26.5k in the house......cant complain at all and cant wait till I can get down again...............anyway thansk to all who made it a greta day for me....back with the Match Thread on Tuseday (well done OA and LL for taking over today)
  • Options
    Great post Bing
  • Options
    Nice, nice, nice! BWP fantastic as were Morrison and Kermo as usual. They looked like the lower league cloggers they are when we passed it about in the 2nd half. Very satisfying after some underwhelming home performances recently. Top job.
  • Options
    Tell me, how did they manage to win 6-1 at Colchester?
  • Options
    What a day! Fantastic atmosphere, fantastic team play, and the sun was out, what more could you ask for! First half was a bit slow for me, players on the ground etc, but the second half we come alive with vengance, 2 cracking goals and Stevenage didnt get much of a look in! We sat in North stand not far from the pitch, the Stevenage players were trying to mark Yann so badly, at 1 point, 3 Stevenage players were surrounding him, but he just brushed them off, for me he is quality! Lets hope they continue in this fashion for the remainder of the season and put the few past games behind us, todays performance shows what we can do!
  • Options
    I love Yann