Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton - Stevenage Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    The reds are going up...
  • Options
    I was nervy at half time but a really good 2nd half performance when we showed why we are top. Some really good performances from the likes of sollyn kermogant and morrison and great to see bwp get his goal although he could have had a few more. And how great was it to see the valley full again.
  • Options
    It was a win at a canter , 1st half we wernt that good 2nd half we dominated and should've had 3 or 4 more than we did

Sitting at Greenwich station wishing I was home
  • Options
    I just looked at ours and Sheffield United's remaining fixtures. I'm predicting us to finish on 98 points and Sheff Utd on 95 pts. The title race will go to the wire in my opinion.
  • Options
    Its cheaper than a fiver to get into the Directors Box, it Football for FREE!. However did you notice that it was the most empty part of the ground, no "bouncing" there. Clearly the free prawn sandwiches are not up to much
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Great performance today from the team, the management, Airman and his ticketing staff and last but not least the crowd. We had our first team out and they were a different class to the opposition who could not have complained had it been 5 or 6 nil. Revenge is sweet and Stevenage were comfortably second best today. As long as we don't take our foot off the pedal the title is ours to lose. Smell that coffee COYR!
  • Options
    Took my 82 year old dad for the first time in about 30 years. Brought back a lot of memories for him. And what a game to choose. A big crowd, great atmosphere and a top performance. Thanks to everyone connected with the club and to the supporters for making it a day he will always remember.

Thought the defence was awesome today and how BWP didn't get a hat-trick I will never know!
  • Options
    couldn't make it today due to family committments boooooo
    but as soon as i heard the team news fancied us , that is our best starting 11 easily

monster result and the bumhole can relax for the time being

60% champions 39% runners up 1% the play offs
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 2012
    Just finished a match report, detailed preview available as well if anyone's interested at http://thematchreport.tumblr.com/ Constructive criticism welcomed :)

Charlton Athletic 2 - 0 Stevenage (25/02/12 - Match Report)

A record-breaking crowd at The Valley witnessed a comprehensive Charlton victory promotion rivals neighbours Stevenage.

Thousands of fans took up the self-explanatory Football For A Fiver scheme, and the resulting crowd of 26,546 broke the 37-year-old Charlton record for attendances in the third tier of English football. The home supporters were not left disappointed, as a free-flowing Addicks side could’ve had many more than the two they notched, with Boro ‘keeper Chris Day producing a series of fine saves to keep the score respectable.With such a large cushion over any rival, Chris Powell looks set to lead his side to promotion come the end of the season.

The match ended with the Addicks playing five in midfield, after energetic midfielder Bradley Pritchard had replaced name-sake Wright-Phillips to allow the latter a deserved standing ovation, for what was a hard-worked performance.

WG.
    Constructive criticism.

Stevenage is deep in Hertfordshire, they are not in London but in a neighbouring town to London. Stevenage are not really neighbours.

If something is self explanatory, you don't have to explain out the obviousness of it by letting us know it is self explanatory.

Hard worked, should be hard working. Maybe try reading it through instead of relying on the spell check. Maybe put in a rider, saying you are writing quickly, apologies etc.

Final sentence - misses out the necessary, taking one game at a time for all the superstitious Addick fan who think that at 4-0 up another goal would be good just in case !

A bit wordy in places but a good report on an excellent victory. Well done on posting. COYRS !

• Options
    A well deserved 2-0 win and such a commanding performance from everyone. How Bradley did not bury his header and at least bag one of the one on ones I will never know but you have to give credit to Day for restricting his tally to 1. Linesman on the east side had a pretty awful game. Next up Operation Chesterfield. COYR!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a great time in the celebration suite and a fantastic result.

The mrs even won a few quid on the correct score (even though I put the money for the bet in)

Fantastic afternoon, Fantastic weather, Fantastic Charlton FC
  • Options
    Posting (as usual) before reading the rest of the thread.
    Firstly please take a bow Airman, the attendance was astonishing, short of touting the 200 odd spare tickets door to door, getting that many into the Valley for a home third division game against Stevenage Borough was some kind of magic trick. I know loads came because it was so cheap, but surely to goodness some new fans were created today.
    Those new fans will take the places left by the loved departed fans who were sincerely given the minutes applause prior to the match.
    Loved Victoria and her singing...it was a bit drowned out by other stuff, would have liked it even more if she were closer to the start. (Am I the only one who thought 'We Will Rock You' was a bit of a jarring note today?).
    As for the game, absolutely a deserved win.
    Stevenage were like the proverbial house of straw, moderately impressively built as long as it lasted (till half time) and then we huffed and puffed and blew them away.
    Morrisons goal was excellent, he muscled round the bloke on him and hit a screamer, doncha just love him? The goal followed strong early second half attacking which had been building in the last 15 of the first half, that was following quite an even start where a physical and direct Stevenage team showed us what they had...and their limitations.
    At 1-0 there wasn't really a worry about them getting back into it, they wilted and got worse and worse while we got better and better, playing some scintillating stuff. If it wasn't for Day in the Stevenage goal we would have racked up at least five.
    BWP got his goal after a lot of attempts, it seemed to come about almost by sheer willpower, and some excellent help from his team mates.
    It was great to see the team so balanced after Tuesdays very awkward showing, and it was especially great to see some moments of sheer class, both individually, and as a team. Once again (as in the Sheffield games, or Hudds at home, or the second half at Yeovil to name some examples) we absolutely confronted the occasion and made sure we got the right result...these lads are beautifully ruthless as well as damn good.
    Solly...what more can anybody say about him? However this is beginning to apply to so many...I give you Yann, Hollands, Wiggins, Taylor, Jacko, and my MOM today Morrison, they are all never less than good, and usually excellent.
    Great day.
  • Options
    If ever a game convinced me we would be champions this was it.
    We needed a performance and a result and the team rose to the challenge; had we lost this on the back of some recent under par performances we might have started to feel the pressure.
    Can't understand anybody saying Stevenage were poor; they're not and we had to be at our best to beat them.
    All they lacked was a cutting edge and credit our brilliant defence for that.
    First goal meant everything and we got it
    What a great goal by Morro; having got himself in position most centre halves would have shat and lost composure; not our rock of a CB. Are you watching Sheffield wet Wednesday?
    Loved the way the crowd got behind and lifted BWP when he was beating the ground and beating himself up in frustration after missing those first two chances. So pleased for him when he scored.
    Could have had a double hattrick but hey, keep giving him those chances and he soon will.
    Thoroughly enjoyed this game and the whole atmosphere.
    Great to salute JJ (the original) too
  • Options
    Morrison goal was nothing short of special , great composure great finish

Stevenage were just a workman like outfit nothing special and not too hard to beat

Daisy had a good game in goal for them but with better finishing we would've won by 5 easily

Was a game that took effort but was a comfortable and easy 3 points imo
  • Options
    Ooh ahh not making for a fiver.
  • Options
    Posting before reading.
    Posting after reading
  • Options
    @ Will
    That's good mate but Stevenage is not in London :D
    and even it it were, the opening sentence doesn't make any sense anyway.
  • Options
    Great performance and an awesome day. BWP could of had 3 or 4. Wonderful goal from Morrison, The Valley was buzzing today. We're going up.

1 negative - who's the muppet in the upper north who bellows "..take him out.." and "..take his legs away.." every five minutes. Got right on my nerves.
  • Options
    who's the muppet in the upper north who bellows "..take him out.." and "..take his legs away.." every five minutes.

I say don't you know
    You say you don't know
    I say... take him out!

Burn the sun
    Burn the light
    Take his legs away.
    Take my hand
    Take my life
    Take his legs away.
  • Options
    Great day great result, ok so bwp missed a few (keeper saved a few) but wasnt it good in hindsight to see us create so many chances, some team is going to get a 5 or 6 goal tonking before we pick up the trophy, me thinks!! ps- just waiting to see Morro's strike on FLS - Good night fellow Addicks!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @vff Thanks for that, it was very helpful.

Reflecting on it the self-explanatory bit was pointless. The first sentence was supposed to be edited from 'London neighbours' to 'promotion rivals' (after I discovered where Stevenage actually was), but I just ended up making no sense. I've also edited the hard-worked bit, which wad just sloppiness.

Unfortunately I can't really help being wordy, just seems to be the way I've been taught to write. I'm trying to cut down on it though.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    After a short spell of head tennis in the first half, we got the ball down well and did what we do best; passing moving and running at them. The defence was rock solid and and we created loads of chances. Very good performance. Great to see The Valley full again. Well done all.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Its cheaper than a fiver to get into the Directors Box, it Football for FREE!. However did you notice that it was the most empty part of the ground, no "bouncing" there. Clearly the free prawn sandwiches are not up to much
    And your point is?

• Options
    http://www.greenwich.co.uk/sport/07280-kevin-nolan-match-report-charlton-athletic-v-stevenage-25022012/
    Magnificent report (as always), captured the day perfectly............thanks Kevin and also thanks to Paul for the link.

• Options
    Overall team performance 7 / 10
    Overall crowd vocal performance considering were top of league full house
    5 / 10
    Why are we all so quiet?
    Well done on the attendance
  • Options
    Good report, Will, and really like the tone (sounds 'Roy of the Rovers' to me) of the piece. Well done.
  • Options
    "while Stevenage Borough, nee Stevenage Town but recently re-branded as Stevenage FC (it seems only a matter of time before they call themselves “Steve”" LOL

You just knew how they were going to play when they tried to sing over the opera singer.
  • Options
    Well done the club 26,500 stunning effort--------must have done a great trade on scarfs as well, loads on very new looking ones round me.

Well done the team didnt freeze.Played well . Solly MotM for me love the guy.

Sat in South stand, the atmosphere there was great.

The sight of the crowd as we turned into harvey gardens did bring back memories of the Prem.