Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Anyone catch the first episode of Season 8 Dexter?

I stayed up till 2am to watch it, been so long waiting for it to start. For me it edges Breaking Bad slightly.

Does anyone watch Suits? 3rd series of that starts 16th July, can't wait for that either. Great show.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Jaddick said:

Anyone catch the first episode of Season 8 Dexter?

I stayed up till 2am to watch it, been so long waiting for it to start. For me it edges Breaking Bad slightly.

Does anyone watch Suits? 3rd series of that starts 16th July, can't wait for that either. Great show.

I watch both. I was impressed with Dexter, normally the first episode of a new series is a little slow but this one was excellent, I thought.

I also can't wait for suits to come back.

The other show that has a sumner run is Newsnight, have you seen that? As I seem to like similar programs as you, you might want to have a look out for it. It comes back on in the next week, I think.
  • Options
    'House of Cards' was very good, but I love anything with Spacy in.

Thought 'The Fall' was a bit meh. Some nice ideas but some pretty wooden acting, especially from Anderson who as usual was pretty but wooden.

Not really new but I've been watching a lot of 'Community' and 'Archer' recently - both very very funny but in very different ways.

I'm up to series 5 of 'Mad Men' too, also brilliant.
  • Options
    Enjoyed Skins, as usual, this week. That Effy is such a sort!
  • Options
    Yeah - Dexter got off to a really good start this week. Charlotte Rampling was creepy as fuck.
  • Options
    Surprised at all the love for Dexter, feels like it's been on a rapid downhill cycle since the first series. Decent chunk of hourly entertainment but increasingly cartoonish, with a complete character change for Dexter making it a lot less compelling. Hopefully will finish coherently, the first series was excellent.

Quite enjoying Banshee. Pretty daft plot (returning convict actually ends up as sheriff of lawless town, takes to it like a duck to water; ticks the every nudity and violence box).
  • Options

I'm enjoying 'The Americans' and 'The Returned' on Player.. they fill a close season hole !!

Are they no better than hole fillers?
    briefly: both series are very good, excellent in fact .. my TV viewing time, like everybody's, is limited .. during the winter my TV allocation goes on football &/or rugby .. I have little time or inclination in the winter to watch drama .. so summer evenings after the sun starts to go down is a good time for me to relax and watch some fiction .. (WELL you did ask!!!!!)
  • Options
    Finished the Sopranos the other week, very disappointed with the ending.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

it was a bit too contrived was it not .. I suspect the producers left a cliffhanger in case another series was possible .. it is no longer of course .. however, the ending has produced countless talking points, not least here on CL .. apart from the finish, did you enjoy the series as a whole?
  • Options
    Where can I watch Dexter season 7?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited July 2013

DA9 said:

it was a bit too contrived was it not .. I suspect the producers left a cliffhanger in case another series was possible .. it is no longer of course .. however, the ending has produced countless talking points, not least here on CL .. apart from the finish, did you enjoy the series as a whole?

I disagree, it was called The Sopranos, not Tony Soprano, and any new series could quite easily carry on from the last scene, if you go with the he was whacked theory at lights out. Plenty of scope for AJ or any other family member to step up, or even Meadow (unlikely I know) but look at the female mob boss in Naples Tony met and dealt with.

Enjoyed it, but have to be honest and say its still behind the writing of the Wire and Breaking Bad, IMO, but still very good.

But your point about the contrived ending is fair.
  • Options
    Heard good things about a drama from New Zealand called 'Top of The Lake', which has gained very good ratings/reviews.

Starts tomorrow night on BBC 2...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/video/2013/jul/05/bbc-top-of-the-lake-trailer-video
  • Options
    DA9 said:

DA9 said:

I disagree, it was called The Sopranos, not Tony Soprano, and any new series could quite easily carry on from the last scene, if you go with the he was whacked theory at lights out. Plenty of scope for AJ or any other family member to step up, or even Meadow (unlikely I know) but look at the female mob boss in Naples Tony met and dealt with.

Enjoyed it, but have to be honest and say its still behind the writing of the Wire and Breaking Bad, IMO, but still very good.

The sopranos is easily the best written series ever made.

The ending was perfect, shows the originality of the entire series. Like it or not it was the story of tony soprano and the ending and the entire final series makes it pretty clear he was whacked. POV to close up editing throughout and the all members jacket fella. David Chase has said how he thinks looking back the ending wasn't very well done as a lot of people didnt understand the ending - one that he refuses to explain. Still think it beats the wire by miles in terms of writing. And i love the wire dearly.

still to watch breaking bad, but i hear breaking bad is actually pretty overrated in the same way that LOST was all shock and no substance. Will start it soon enough
  • Options
    New series on netflix called "Orange is the new black" about a middle class woman who goes into a federal prison. Was quite good will give a few more episodes a look.
  • Options
    Having watched 4 series of breaking bad recently I can confirm that it is not overrated. Enjoyed it more than the sopranos.
  • Options
    Lost is not even in the same league as Breaking Bad. You will not be disappointed!

Best things I had ever seen on TV were The Sopranos & The Wire. Breaking Bad, for me, is better than The Wire & runs The Sopranons pretty bloody close.
  • Options
    Really enjoying Luther and also a series about a wild west railway town in Indian territory, cant remember it s name Hell something
  • Options
    DA9 said:

DA9 said:

DA9: you make some good points about possible continuities .. if (for example) the Christopher character had not been killed off, he could/would have made a wonderful 'mad don' sometime in the future. I suspect that the Tony Jnr, Meadow, the family and the surviving 'captain/soldier' characters are not strong enough to allow for a reprise.
    Overall, except for Monty Python in a very different genre, the Sopranos was probably my favourite TV show ever. Compulsive viewing.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Really enjoying Luther and also a series about a wild west railway town in Indian territory, cant remember it s name Hell something

Hell on Wheels

as recommended somewhere on this thread by TangoFlash, who I recommended it to.

• Options
    On series 5 of Breaking Bad, awesome
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Walking Dead season 4 trailer....looks good.
    http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1520211/
  • Options
    DustyRed said:

Walking Dead season 4 trailer....looks good.
    http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1520211/

Looks good, though hopefully it isn't as slow moving as the 2nd season.
  • Options
    Just watched the last episode of Breaking Bad, season 3. Season 4 in the post. Can't wait for it to arrive. Truly excellent show. Twists, turns and strong character relationships. Highly recommended if you haven't tried it yet. Hurry up Postie!
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ^^^^ ahhhhh .. the thing is that the spoon contained Simar's much needed snort of BMP (Bolivian marching powder) for which he'd scrimped, scraped, begged, borrowed and stolen to get his hands on and nose into .. Jhavani is the head of the Calcutta Drug Squad (enforcement not indulging) and IF he spots the spoon along with its telltale and incriminating white powder residue amongst the muck, both Roli and Simar will have much explaining to do and will be lucky to escape a long prison sentence, or possibly even worse for them but a face saving alternative for their families, being forced into 10 years slavery by Jhavani who, like most Indian police officers of high rank, has contacts within the illegal Indian slave traders in Dubai where Roli and Simar will be forced to spend their days mucking out the horse and camel racing stables of Sheik Mohammed and his forty thieves, I mean brothers ....................... that's what I reckon happens anyway
  • Options
    Top Of The Lake was really good. A bit bleak, but extremely well acted and directed. Elisabeth Moss is mesmerising in it, as is Peter Mullan
  • Options
    Yours sounds a lot more exciting than theirs Lincs.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Yours sounds a lot more exciting than theirs Lincs.

lol .. I'm getting confused, my scenario is for next week's 'Archers' .. The Everyday Story of Country Folk
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Lost is not even in the same league as Breaking Bad. You will not be disappointed!

Best things I had ever seen on TV were The Sopranos & The Wire. Breaking Bad, for me, is better than The Wire & runs The Sopranons pretty bloody close.

Lost and Game of Thrones are quite possibly the biggest most overrated gash to ever grace television. Soon to be starting the last series of the Sopranos after reading so much hype and unfortunately for me, it doesn't live up too it. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, it is very good, but doesn't come close to Dexter, Breaking Bad & some of 24 IMO. Even found most of the first half of the latest Breaking Bad slow.

Basically, Dexter is the greatest TV show of all time ever.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I enjoyed 'Peaky Blinders' .. early 20th century plots and 21st century rock soundtrack .. could do with a bit more light though

I am also a big fan of the Montelbano series .. nice clever, gentle and harmless TV with superb Sicilian scenery .. even if each episode is rather long, especially with the subtitles