Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Just watched the first episode of Jessica Jones. Thought it was excellent, now on to episode 2.

The second episode kept up the standard.

SPOILER ALERT

Obviously one needs to buy in to the 'superhuman' aspect, but if you're OK with that, this is well cast and well written.
    JJ was excellent. They are doing a great job with the Defenders shows on Netflix. Daredevil season 2 in just over 3 weeks, can't bloody wait for that.
    Hi was so impressed with the casting on Daredevil.
  • Options

Agree on The Night Manager, Hugh Lawrie's got it spot on. Been watching Happy Valley and have had the sound bar on warp drive so I can hear the dialogue, why do actors mumble so much?

It's not the actors, it's the sound engineers. The same reason you get programmes now where one minute you have to crank the volume up to 70 during dialogue, then when there's a battle scene or a scene with loud music, you are deafened. Once upon a time just about all sound engineers in the UK were BBC trained, it was a proper apprenticeship, you didn't leave there without full training. (insert Savile joke here) Now they are trained in colleges and universities, as the BBC simply cannot afford to train them.
    Mrs cafcfan has a theory about the sound issues. She reckons this series has had a tendency to film the actors in scenes involving two person dialogue with the camera looking over the shoulder from the back rather than head on. So the viewer often sees the face of the listener rather than the speaker. Meaning it's a question of not being able to blend the sound with lip reading.
  • Options
    Anyone else just watch the first episode of "Thirteen" on 2?
    Or maybe seen any of it online?

Very intriguing first episode, hundreds of questions, virtually no answers.
    Resisting the temptation of watching the next episode on iplayer, just to save something decent to watch on tele next Sunday.
    Fantastic acting from Ivy too.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Agree on The Night Manager, Hugh Lawrie's got it spot on. Been watching Happy Valley and have had the sound bar on warp drive so I can hear the dialogue, why do actors mumble so much?

It's not the actors, it's the sound engineers. The same reason you get programmes now where one minute you have to crank the volume up to 70 during dialogue, then when there's a battle scene or a scene with loud music, you are deafened. Once upon a time just about all sound engineers in the UK were BBC trained, it was a proper apprenticeship, you didn't leave there without full training. (insert Savile joke here) Now they are trained in colleges and universities, as the BBC simply cannot afford to train them.
    Mrs cafcfan has a theory about the sound issues. She reckons this series has had a tendency to film the actors in scenes involving two person dialogue with the camera looking over the shoulder from the back rather than head on. So the viewer often sees the face of the listener rather than the speaker. Meaning it's a question of not being able to blend the sound with lip reading.
    I have a theory about the sound issues, it's a bunch of old farts with failing hearing who just need to turn the volume up. ;-)

I have it on low enough to not wake a sleeping 10 month old in the next room but I can't say I have had any trouble hearing any of the speech.
  • Options

Anyone else just watch the first episode of "Thirteen" on 2?
    Or maybe seen any of it online?

Very intriguing first episode, hundreds of questions, virtually no answers.
    Resisting the temptation of watching the next episode on iplayer, just to save something decent to watch on tele next Sunday.
    Fantastic acting from Ivy too.

Yep. Watched it online. Thought it was excellent, looking forward to seeing where it goes.

• Options
    Watched the first two episodes if Stag on I player. Enjoyable if slightly odd.
  • Options
    Just finished Jessica Jones. A few plot holes but generally good 'gifted/special people' TV. David Tennant was awesome. They'll have to go some to get as good an actor for the Big Bad in season 2.
  • Options
    Night Manager getting better and better. Hugh Lawrie is excellent as is Tom Hollander as ever, he was on BBC and ITV last night at 9-10pm.
    I have recorded Stag, is it any good?

Series 3 of the brilliant Line of Duty being trailed now on the BBC but annoyingly without a transmission date, just "coming soon". I need my Vicki McClure fix!
  • Options
    Also can't leave The People v OJ Simpson, it's corny and looks like it was made 20 years before it is set but it's enjoyable. The great John Travolta is particularity good as the weird Robert Shapiro.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Night Manager getting better and better. Hugh Lawrie is excellent as is Tom Hollander as ever, he was on BBC and ITV last night at 9-10pm.

Series 3 of the brilliant Line of Duty being trailed now on the BBC but annoyingly without a transmission date, just "coming soon". I need my Vicki McClure fix!

Can't wait for Line of Duty, top show.

Not a drama but an excellent documentary series on the Beeb called The Procecutors. It follows the CPS on a number of cases and shows how the system works including interviews with the victims/witnesses.

I won't give anything away but there is a lady in episode one who is inspirational in her outlook.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Enjoying Night Manager. Good plot but not sure if script is good enough for these actors.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Enjoying Night Manager. Good plot but not sure if script is good enough for these actors.
    What is the name of the guy who plays Corky? He is rapidly stepping up to match Laurie for the subtle change of facial expressions that send a chill down the spine.

I love the contrast of the glorious Med locations and properties, places we might dream of being on holiday at, and the menace that stalks the place because of who is occupying the locations.

• Options

Riviera said:

What is the name of the guy who plays Corky? He is rapidly stepping up to match Laurie for the subtle change of facial expressions that send a chill down the spine.

I love the contrast of the glorious Med locations and properties, places we might dream of being on holiday at, and the menace that stalks the place because of who is occupying the locations.

Tom Hollander, been going for years but got his big first break as Rev. Nothing though will ever surpass his role as Carl "The F****r" Richards in The Thick of It, on screen for all of 2 minutes but stole the series!
  • Options
    Hollander being tipped as next Bond.
  • Options

Can't see it myself. He's a little bit too metrosexual to be bond. I'd go for Elba or Fassbender
  • Options

Riviera said:

Tight budget meant it was filmed on location at Jaywick Sands I heard.
  • Options

Can't see it myself. He's a little bit too metrosexual to be bond. I'd go for Elba or Fassbender
    Too short as a well.

Tom Hiddleston could probably pull it off, although I hope it'll be Elba.
  • Options

Ha. He looks about 5'4". If it's not him it could be Ant or Dec ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think they mean Tom Hiddleston!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Riviera said:

Elba is black. James Bond is white. Elba can't act either, the most wooden performances ever.
    Would you have Stephen Fry play Kanye West? No of course you wouldn't.

Interestingly ( or not ) in the brilliant film The Bone Collector, Lincoln Rhyme is played by Denzil Washington. This was the first novel in what has become a fairly long series. In the original novel Deaver describes Rhyme as a white man and does so even now in books written just last year.

James Bond is white. As is Sherlock Holmes and Henry the 8th. Why rewrite it for the sake of the most popular actor at the time ?
  • Options
    Anyone that's ever read a Jack Reacher book by Lee Child will know the main character is 6 foot 5, ridiculously powerful and intimidating in size and demeanour.

Of course, Tom Cruise was obviously the natural choice for the film.
    Petitions started and all sorts.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Would you have Stephen Fry play Kanye West? No of course you wouldn't.

Stephen Fry ? That's a bit of an odd argument.
    Kanye West is real ( sadly) and James Bond is not. Colour has no bearing on who plays Bond in my opinion as long as he's not American.
    He won't get the role anyway , the franchise makes too much money for them to risk picking a black actor.
  • Options
    Hogey Carmichael was real though.
  • Options

Redskin said:

Tom Hollander as Bond? The worst casting in cinematic history since anything Tim Roth has been in.
    He's five foot tall, and his head's too big for his body.

I think @Riviera is right. They must mean Tom Hiddleston. If not you might as well mention Toby Jones as the next Bond!
    Ah, that makes sense.
    For me, there can only be one future Bond: Tom Hardy.

• Options
    Nobody mentioned the new house of cards?

Are are they to busy binge watching?