Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Kavanagh Left The Club

Comments

• Options
    Kap10 said:

seth plum said:

'I received formal notice from him which terminated his employment.'

Hmmmmnnnn.

I thought that was an interesting choice of words.

Seems that SK was given some sort of choice, he didnt agree with something that everybody else did.
    Had no choice but to stand down, gardening leave to think about it, decided he couldnt go with it and told TJ this.
    Position then untennable so termination/the tin tack was the only out. As Susie has said, for things to improve changes are usual.

• Options
    Let's all hope & pray that any changes ARE for the better....

I'm in the Prague Addick camp.
  • Options

Could it be that Prothero is a 'front man' for possible new investors and has been brought into the club on their behalf to perform a root and branch overview of the club structure (including management)? I would guess that any new 'major' investors would want to ensure that the management team in place are the best group of individuals to take the club forward.

Could even see Prothero replace Slater as Chairman in the not too distant future if the above scenario is correct

Pure guess work on my part and see no reason to panic over this announcement.

Who knows, but MP does not have the same background as Slater and the other ex-director Alex Needham in that he's come from a sports marketing/management background and not something legalistic.

If he's working one day a week - maybe that was the initial idea while he moved from Manchester to London before going full-time or perhaps after being a one company man he simply wants to do consultancy work and do a bit of work here and there under his own steam.

But we need to draft in some experienced managerial bods and soon or maybe Jimenez and Slater are going to start doing more responsibility?

• Options
    edited August 2012

So. Farewell then
    Steve Kavanagh

You were a nice bloke.

Still,
    there’s always
    the Olympics on telly.

Maybe see
    if Pete
    wants to come round?

• Options

So. Farewell then
    Steve Kavanagh

You were a nice bloke.

Still,
    there’s always
    the Olympics on telly.

Maybe see
    if Pete
    wants to come round?

that's tickled me.
  • Options

Of course - but if they weren't for the better, then I'd like to think they wouldn't be taking such steps in the first place.

There's got to be reasoning behind it which benefits the club.
  • Options
    absolutely Tom.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    So we lose two blokes who were sort of working full time, and both blokes are replaced by somebody working one day per week? I might have this wrong, but how many days has Mr Protheroe been into work this last fortnight or so? It seems to me that in the last crucial run up to the start of a football season it would be all hands to the pumps with loads to sort out, but there is (possibly) no head honcho to get busy with stuff.

Suzisausage, you know how these things work, am I right in saying that just now is a super busy time for a football club?
  • Options

We hope.

I'm not sure I like the way this has been handled or at least the way the news has been conveyed to us. Gradually Slater and Jimenez are getting their own men in, if they are competent and have the club's interests at heart then it should be for the better. But new managers have a habit of not understanding the way a company is run and the way things are done and I hope that whoever is recuited has an appreciation that it's the fans who make the club.
  • Options
    Abandon Ship!!!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

Of course - but if they weren't for the better, then I'd like to think they wouldn't be taking such steps in the first place.

what steps have they taken? PV and SK have left, in my opinion, because THEY were not happy with what was happening/proposed and did not want to be associated with what was being planned. And why does it necessarily need to be benefitting the Club? Once again, in my opinion, it is more likely to be benefitting one individual, TJ, as opposed to the Club

• Options
    On the football side recently Chris Powell has taken great pains to ensure folk are well aware of the history and culture of Charlton Athletic. Chris realises what an important factor they are in the whole scheme of things.
  • Options
    absolutely it is a busy time for the club. but there isn't really a quiet time for the club which I guess people don't understand as they think everyone goes on holiday like the players do, but there is so much to do in prep for the new season. I was never there for a promotion out of season though - only a relegation out of season!

I can't remember where it was stated that he'd be doing 1 day a week, whether that was made up or from a statement, but I find it hard to believe that it is set in stone (seeing as PV was meant to do 2/3 days a week and probably ended up doing 7) and I'm sure that during this transition period he'll be putting in more hours than originally planned.

i'm just glad this is going on before the season starts, as I believe they would know who is going to take some of these positions and they'll be in place before the season starts.
  • Options

We hope.

I'm not sure I like the way this has been handled or at least the way the news has been conveyed to us. Gradually Slater and Jimenez are getting their own men in, if they are competent and have the club's interests at heart then it should be for the better. But new managers have a habit of not understanding the way a company is run and the way things are done and I hope that whoever is recuited has an appreciation that it's the fans who make the club.

BFR new managers are just that, new managers with different ways of doing things, these ways are endorsed by the people that employ them.
  • Options
    In terms of the management structure, lets just see how it all pans out before making too many dispersions.

Despite what some people suggest, i think its clear that none of this (Varney leaving early, Kav leaving, investor pulling the rug) was 'planned', so lets see how it is resolved. No one knows whether it will be for the better, same or worse, until we have the benefit of hindsight.

I think what Bexley Dan heard is pretty much on the money, though i'm probably less relaxed than him with regards to new investment.

Its clear if there is no real money man putting in funds to bridge the gap then it has to be replaced somehow, but that could come in many forms. It could come from, for example, new Far East investment, a complete takeover, selling a player(s), taking out a loan mortgaged against future revenues, taking out a loan with The Valley put as security. Some obviously would cover more long-term risks than others.

There is no PR-based openness, so for now we have to make do with the scraps that we hear, and form personal opinions on whether that's the truth or not, and consider ways in which we, the supporters and long-term carers of the club, can determine a better relationship and input / decision making understanding with the short-term custodians of the club.

Everyone is replaceable and no person in an office is wholly vital to a clubs success. However, the club has lost a couple of individuals who know what our club is about pretty well (either through long-term support, or working there a relatively long-time), and its vital that the organisation of the club doesn't become any colder, or distant from the support base. Things always go better when everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet.
  • Options
    BFR new managers are just that, new managers with different ways of doing things, these ways are endorsed by the people that employ them

I appreciate that - I just don't want to wake up one day next summer and discover that ST prices have gone up by £100 or more a season or that the new owners decide that the regular meetings with the fans and Q&A sessions are something that they'd rather not bother with. Or that Chris Solly, Rhoys Wiggins and one or two others get sold without adequate replacements coming in and/or CP is left fuming when these decisions are taken out of his hands. Change can be good - but I don't want to see asset stripping and "seagull" management - whereby a new manager comes in intent on making a name for him/herself, screwing things up and then moving on having left a trail of wreckage and bad blood behind them. Look how long it took us to recover from the Pardew years after all...
  • Options

BFR new managers are just that, new managers with different ways of doing things, these ways are endorsed by the people that employ them

I appreciate that - I just don't want to wake up one day next summer and discover that ST prices have gone up by £100 or more a season or that the new owners decide that the regular meetings with the fans and Q&A sessions are something that they'd rather not bother with. Or that Chris Solly, Rhoys Wiggins and one or two others get sold without adequate replacements coming in and/or CP is left fuming when these decisions are taken out of his hands. Change can be good - but I don't want to see asset stripping and "seagull" management - whereby a new manager comes in intent on making a name for him/herself, screwing things up and then moving on having left a trail of wreckage and bad blood behind them. Look how long it took us to recover from the Pardew years after all...

BFR All very valid points. I have seen all the above happen over many many years, as AFKA has said we all need to sing from the same hymn sheet.

• Options
    Although I guess it matters who writes the hymn and is dependant on the lyrics ?
  • Options
    we or they?
  • Options

Abandon Ship!!!!!!!!

I thought you would have been long gone in the first lifeboat seeing as you were told something at the weekend that was very worrying?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In terms of the management structure, lets just see how it all pans out before making too many dispersions.

Despite what some people suggest, i think its clear that none of this (Varney leaving early, Kav leaving, investor pulling the rug) was 'planned', so lets see how it is resolved. No one knows whether it will be for the better, same or worse, until we have the benefit of hindsight.

I think what Bexley Dan heard is pretty much on the money, though i'm probably less relaxed than him with regards to new investment.

Its clear if there is no real money man putting in funds to bridge the gap then it has to be replaced somehow, but that could come in many forms. It could come from, for example, new Far East investment, a complete takeover, selling a player(s), taking out a loan mortgaged against future revenues, taking out a loan with The Valley put as security. Some obviously would cover more long-term risks than others.

There is no PR-based openness, so for now we have to make do with the scraps that we hear, and form personal opinions on whether that's the truth or not, and consider ways in which we, the supporters and long-term carers of the club, can determine a better relationship and input / decision making understanding with the short-term custodians of the club.

Everyone is replaceable and no person in an office is wholly vital to a clubs success. However, the club has lost a couple of individuals who know what our club is about pretty well (either through long-term support, or working there a relatively long-time), and its vital that the organisation of the club doesn't become any colder, or distant from the support base. Things always go better when everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet.

The board did not just draught in prothero the moment Varney resigned. Protheros arrival was planned and hence the reason Varney left or was pushed and then Kavagnah followed suit imo.

• Options

here we go again....

Until the directors finally tell the fans the truth then i'm afraid it will go on and on. Remember the Takeover thread from Summer 2009?

How do you know its not the truth? I love how it is all one big lie until it is something that everyone wants to hear. Maybe the new owners just want their own men and haven't got time for disagreements and petty squabbles from the old guard who aren't happy with their way of doing things.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

The world is full of businesses that make changes for the better and went bust. Not saying we will, just suggest that changes are always well intentioned but not always achieve the result intended.

Moving from my bias as a fan, I am interested in seeing this business management case study roll out. Only Murray and TJ remain as people with football business experience and they do appear to be from opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to running a football business. Nothing I can do about it, but its interesting to watch.

• Options

"Tony Jimenez, Richard Murray and I are looking forward to working with incoming executive vice-chairman Martin Prothero, and have complete confidence that the executive and senior management team that he puts together will continue to build on the great progress we have made both on and off the pitch over the past year and half."

Prothero is a very interesting appointment, what is his motivation? Why would you give up a senior executive post in a global player like Nike to help put together a board and senior managers at a second division football club?

He's got to be making some money out of this deal somewhere, maybe Prothero is bringing the new money in. Wouldn't be surprised to see MS or even TJ replaced in the next month or so.

I agree with you that one wonders what Prothero's motivation is but I very much doubt the scenario you suggest. Tony Jiminez does not sound like type of man who is easily 'replaced' against his wishes. On the contrary Prothero is their appointment.

Not saying that either would go against his wishes, he's looking for investment but its unclear if thats to come in alongside him and others, along side him instead of others or instead of him. I know he's just consolidated his position by taking on more shares, but then again so did RM with Baton before he sold.

I'm finding it difficult to understand why someone of Prothero's calibre would come in and take orders from TJ & MS.

In business terms its like the sales director of McDonalds in the UK coming in to sort out the board of Starburger (if they still exist!) Why would he do this unless he was either going to run the chain or own a significant stake in the business.

Crucial point in all of this is who is minding the counter while all of this is going on. Hopefully not just Johnny-no-stars.
  • Options
    Who would it take to leave to make people think something 'may' be up? Murray? Rick? Powell (Paddy or Chris)?

Stinks a bit to me to be honest. I've ignored a lot a stuff over the past few weeks and think I will continue to for a while. Just want the football to start now.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

here we go again....

Until the directors finally tell the fans the truth then i'm afraid it will go on and on. Remember the Takeover thread from Summer 2009?

How do you know its not the truth? I love how it is all one big lie until it is something that everyone wants to hear. Maybe the new owners just want their own men and haven't got time for disagreements and petty squabbles from the old guard who aren't happy with their way of doing things.

couldn't have put it better myself.

I'll only begin to panic IF Powell went, until that time then in my eyes the board have got everything right so far, they are successful businessmen who clearly don't have time for any old pals act

• Options
    edited August 2012
    "Old pals act" is disrespectful to the job that those you're referring to did over the years. I agree that there's no need for panic, because panic is hardly ever a productive response, but following @PragueAddick I think that there are certainly signs for increased vigilance. If Chris Powell were to leave, I'm afraid you'd be far to late in any response you thus choose. We'd have lost "Our Charlton" again.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    For me if RM and then Powell where gone id be firmly on the side of the anti feelings towards TJ and others, but i can't believe it is complete panic time whilst RM is still in the boardroom and CP is still happy enough with his management of the team.

If there is a reason my view is completly wrong id happily be told by some in the know if im living in ignorance, i just dont want to have to stress about my football club when i get plenty of that with work.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    my theory is that RM has too much money involved for him to be able to say you've rumped me over cos you said you'd do this or that when we struck the deal and you've ratted
    he has to play along with it all or he more than likely does his dough

i'm prolly (sorry Len) well off the mark but just my take on things

and there is no way CP can be happy with the non backing he has received this summer but he is a classy enough fella to play along with things respectfully
  • Options
    I think you are probably right oohaah on both counts