Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Kavanagh Left The Club

Comments

• Options
    Welcome back, Airman !
  • Options
    Lol
  • Options

Sounds spot on to me, Henry.

+1
  • Options
    If they've resigned there will be no requirement for a compromise agreement.

So where are their concerned comments about the direction the Club is being taken to? Not a peep from either of them. They are well aware of the hornets nest this situation has stirred up amongst us fans.
  • Options

Had his pc taken away for review can't post

I can confirm . . . I have numerous computers! Sorry.
    So that's where all the money's gone :)
  • Options
    Addickted said:

So where are their concerned comments about the direction the Club is being taken to? Not a peep from either of them. They are well aware of the hornets nest this situation has stirred up amongst us fans.

Turn your comments around. Perhaps saying something would cause a lot of damage to the club if things are that bad. I'm sure Peter Varney and no doubt Steve Kavanagh wouldn't want that.

• Options

Airman at home......

• Options

Addickted said:

Turn your comments around. Perhaps saying something would cause a lot of damage to the club if things are that bad. I'm sure Peter Varney and no doubt Steve Kavanagh wouldn't want that.

I understand that.

But what kind of signals does no statement at all send out anyway?
  • Options

Addickted said:

Maybe there is no compromise agreement because there is no compromise and both sides are having discussions with their legal advisors. When I was in dispute with a former employer I turned down a compromise agreement and was advised not to comment publicly as it may compromise my position. Not that I am saying SK is in this position but rationalising one reason people make no comment.

Ps I received 3 plus times the compromise agreement, although was after 5 times
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

I understand that.

But what kind of signals does no statement at all send out anyway?
    Perhaps the silence says everything they want ? It certainly says something is wrong to me because as you say there is little doubt PV at least would know the storm in progress.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Sounds spot on to me, Henry.

+1
    +2.9 (Hubby not all there as he's had too much Fitou)

• Options

Don't announce it mate they will take all of them
  • Options
    Another 3 pages of people if the know who are not in the know, quality.
  • Options
    Two things missing from that statement: We thank him for all his hard work; we wish him all the best in the future. Doesn't look very amicable does it.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Remember when a lot of us predicted it would be an interesting summer

That additions to the squad would show what sort of ambition the Board had and what kind of backing we really had.

Who could have predicted this?

Regarding the team sure their stated objective was build a team capable of competing in the champs, but did they succeed?

Some of those who dragged us through our rough patch were loan players, where are they now? I think most would acknowledge we need another decent striker to fight Bwp for a place to really compete.

I hope they can sort things out, perhaps Baldock on loan even, and keep the men together of course.

:)
  • Options
    Always a worry when PV jumps ship. A bigger concern if our money man has also moved on.
    But we have a very tidy team who should do well this season. Would Baldock be much better than BWP? I doubt it.
    Meanwhile most of the other Championship teams are being sensible for once and not going for broke...apart from Wednesday and the relegated teams.
    Reading Simon Jordan's book emphasized how stupid clubs have been by paying enormous sums of money for average players and also paying them a hefty salary. The times they are a changing and not before time. With bigger crowds this season we should be okay. Meanwhile TJ is looking for a new money man to help fund the gap. Fingers crossed that he finds him.
  • Options
    Feel good factor has certainly gone just hope it doesn't affect the players :-(
  • Options
    A reminder that PV only came back WITH TJ and MS, and was one of the parties that brought them in, and fronted their bid.

The key is who else is brought in to beef up the executive and management team.
  • Options
    Where? Where did he leave the club? Can nobody find it? Are we having to make do with a putter now instead of a wood? I think we should be told.
  • Options
    Beckboy said:

really?....personally I'm looking forward to the championship season.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beckboy said:

Ridiculous. Our team hasn't turned shit over night. I can't wait for our first season back in the Championship.
  • Options
    Before the summer I was 75% certain we'd finish above the scum .... The non activities on the playing front leave me with the view of just a 25% chance of finishing above them mugs

The crest of a wave was there to be ridden and with the activities/inactivities behind the scenes imo means we've jumped off and missed a prime opportunity
  • Options

Addickted said:

Looks to me that the after 18 months the new owners are happy with theprogression on the field, but not so happy with the progression of the off field activities.

They had no qualms getting rid of Parky and are being consistent in getting rid of other employees who they feel are not up to the task. I don't see anything strange in that as it happens time and time again in any business - new brooms and all that.

They have no loyalty to show to SK and PV - they're business men - and they will do their business in the way they see is best for that business.

Let's just hope SCP gets off to a flying start.

You seem to be assuming that the new owners took the decision to get rid of PV & SK. I think you'll find that both of them left against the new owners wishes as they didn't want to be part of what was going on. That is an entirely different scenario to the one you paint. The loss of two experienced & respected directors plus Kevin Cash walking away with all his money is NOT what was best for the business!
    and this fact is it?
  • Options
    I have read this forum from afar for a number of years. I’ve always been happy to stay on the fringes and read other people’s views but have finally felt compelled to write something myself! I have to admit to a certain/considerable amount of bias before I do write anything more as over the years I have got to know Peter Varney a little, through a close friend of mine.

PV is a very private person who has caused me years of endless frustration having continually refused to give me any ‘inside info’ despite my persistent attempts to extract something (anything!) from him. I do know though that - and I am sure he will not mind me saying it - that it was entirely his decision to leave the club. It has been a source of frustration for me reading otherwise on here so god knows how he would feel if he read Charlton Life!

Having spoken to him briefly just before he returned to the club he told me he planned to work around two days a week. Since then I understand it’s been more like six or seven and he always vowed to cut down on his work as he approached his ‘later years’ (He wouldn’t thank me for saying that!). That is his reasoning for leaving the club (I think handling 30-odd transfers last year probably didn’t help!!)
    I do have to add that I have been told from various other people working within the club that there are other reasons for him deciding to jump ship. Of which they are, I don’t know, and I fear, knowing Peter as I do, that he will never divulge the full reasons.

But I just wanted to make it clear that it was his decision to leave, very much against the wishes of the board, having read endless posts that claim he was, in effect, sacked. I don’t know Steve K very well I’m afraid but I do understand it was also his decision to leave. Why, I don’t really know, but as a (extremely) long-time Charlton fan I do find it disheartening and concerning to see two highly-respected football people leave and a relative rookie - certainly in the sense of running a football club anyway – arrive, in Mr Prothero, especially when he is only working one day a week and, from what I have been told, has yet to even begin work. Anyway, let's hope the players carry on where they left off last season and give us more to cheer on the pitch as, after all, that's what really matters!

Sorry for rambling but felt the need to say something!

Cheers

SB
  • Options
    SB Good post.

Is it really true that Mr Protheroe has yet to even begin work?

Who makes the decisions day to day is what follows from that, especially with less than one week to our first home game?

Mr Kavanagh left (for gardening leave!) a decent while ago so goodness knows how the club has run in the interim. As for those who expect transfers, if PV was dealing with those in the past is there anybody to deal with them now?

Well we will see what's what at the Leyton Orient game, I for one will be looking out for Lawrie Wilson to see if he is involved. There will be a lot of chattering at that game that's for sure.
  • Options

Oh, what a tangled web we weave
    When first we practice to deceive

It's this though isn't it. From the moment they whoever they are took over they have without a shadow of doubt sought to conceal as much as possible about funding, ownership and practically anything that was possible to keep hidden.

We know absolutely nothing about these people and although it's hard to argue with what has been achieved so far by way of promotion and academy progression then why do I still feel distinctly uncomfortable ? Steve Kavanagh has been highly praised by posters who know and in some cases worked with the man has gone without a word of thanks and gone under quite mysterious circumstances. That worries me. Peter Varney is about as close to a Charlton legend as you can get without kicking a ball and he's gone also without a word of thanks and under a veil of silence. That worries me.

After the roaring success of last season there was a golden opportunity to keep the momentum going with just a couple of quality signings. A proven striker and a playmaker would have IMHO have given us a shot at the playoffs. That opportunity appears to have been missed. Why ? That bothers me.

We as Charlton supporters have been caught out once before and nearly lost our club. The flashing warning signals we now see should, no must be a rallying call to start a process whereby the club is safeguarded as much as possible. That process is taking its first few wobbly steps in the form of the Charlton Athletic Supporters Trust being led by razil. I urge all of you that can get to the next meeting do so. Your help and input will be vital. Don't let doubt or apathy allow us to be caught out again. Next time we might not be so lucky.

• Options
    Never mind...only got to get through to the end of August and some TV money arrives, and we can then stagger on......
  • Options
    I asked before, don't think anyone answered, has it been confirmed ANYWHERE that Mr Prothero will only be working one day a week?
  • Options

I asked before, don't think anyone answered, has it been confirmed ANYWHERE that Mr Prothero will only be working one day a week?

Can't answer that personally but the club are unlikely to have told us anyway. They don't tell us much that they don't have to.

• Options
    Airman said it.