Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Baldock

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2012
    see, that annoys me. whats wrong with people giving some constructive criticism?

nobody doubts BWP...in fact, 99% of charlton fans love him, including me. Id still say he can be flat footed quite often.

Footballers can always improve. If we see something that he can improve on then whats the problem with saying it???

His goals were key last season and i dont think anybody under-appreciates that fact, however he's not the perfect footballer and its something for him to improve on.
  • Options

see, that annoys me. whats wrong with people giving some constructive criticism?

nobody doubts BWP...in fact, 99% of charlton fans love him, including me. Id still say he can be flat footed quite often.

Footballers can always improve. If we see something that he can improve on then whats the problem with saying it???

His goals were key last season and i dont think anybody under-appreciates that fact.

THIS

As I have said he is a massive asset for us and the lazy appearance is probably part of lulling people into a false sense of security and is, I dare say, a part of his game. But another part of his game is his pace and if he was sometimes more on his toes he would be on the end of the flick ons that we all acknowledge are a massive part of Yann's game

• Options

I do wonder what we expect sometimes. We apparently needed a twenty goals plus striker last season. BWP was that man. I don't think that he has ever been the predatory striker that some think he should be. When he played for Saints, he was often played wide.

Personally I think we still have the "twenty goal plus" striker in our head. I'd rather we played football which involved us passing the ball and ends up with us scoring more than our opponents each game. I would rather four players got five each than one got twenty. Yann was brilliant for us but some still argue that he didn't score enough.

I think, for what its worth, that Haynes will be a key player for us next season. I don't expect him to get more than 12 goals. He will be a handful though if handled properly.

As for BWP, I'd rather we had him in our team than he played for our opponents.

Baldock - yes if we can get him, will be an excellent signing. I wonder why he hasn't been snapped up yet by other, more financially fulsome clubs than us? Could it be that the price West Ham are after just doesn't represent value for money?

Needed a 20 goals a season striker - and I agree he is that man. But if he read the flick-ons he could easily have been a 30 or maybe even more. The flat footed thing is part of the problem. I have never thought him lazy but flat footed (which for me was Benson's problem) is very annoying and unforgivable

How many times did you see him play last season ?

I saw him make 40 appearances. I agree, flat footed/slow off the mark/on the wrong wavelength/ call it what you want. If he improved in those areas and didn't miss 75% of one on ones he could up his scoring rate by at least 30%.

If he did of course he'd be playing in The Prem.
  • Options
    Exactly. Players who have pace make it so far. Those who have pace and guile and are quick of thought make it further a la Lineker and Owen. I hope BWP does well next season. Despite his 'apparent' poor body language I do think he is honest and self critical and wants to improve. Watch the goals he scored last year and you'll see him get in great positions in and around the box and score with some excellent finishes.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    His goals away against Hartlepool spring to mind of what he is capable of.

Being alert can be the difference especially the higher you go.

Whenever I think of players that aren't the best but are instinctive Inzaghi always comes to mind. He was crap, caught offside 30 times a game but he always scored goals.
  • Options
    Had to check that this is a Sam Baldock thread !
  • Options

only 2 players scored more goals in league one last season. I dont think its finishing that is his problem

I don't think thats a fair assessment though. He was part of a team that seemingly walked the league; that provided many many chances. How many chances were Evans and Rhodes fed? What was the ratio of goals to chances? Those the real numbers involved.

We have to remember the dry spell involved seemed to signal a change for dear old Bradley. Unfortunately a lot of fans reacted badly to it (perhaps quite rightfully; thinking in the moment could easily lead you to think 'He's got shit. Lazy and poor. Put someone else on or get someone on loan.' - not saying I agree, when you consider the bigger picture he is a class act and a brilliant asset.) and it further destroyed his confidence.

I wont pull any punches though - he is a very good player with oodles of potential; he set the league on fire at the begining of the season and was a major player in the Champions' team. However, he was quite poor for periods towards the end of the season - I got fed up with him getting in brilliant positions, getting brilliant balls, and scuffing them up.

Would I get rid of him though? No. Lets not forget just how good he was to begin with - he was absolutely brilliant. Just watch some of the goal compilations on youtube, or the Champions DVD - he could take chances and he could confidently win 1-on-1s. Whilst this may not have been the case towards the end of the season, I still thought his work-rate was very good - he could hold-up the ball, make runs and ultimately help attacks form.

What do I expect of him this season? I really want to say we'll see the BWP of a year ago, confident and taking chances well. He has publicly stated he thinks he'll find the Championship style of play better, and be able to take more chances; whether this is true or not, he has the perfect mindset right now. It's a clean slate from the end last season, he just needs to get out there, put the last few months of the season behind him and remember where he was a year ago - easily one of the fan's favourites. Unfortunately, in my mind there's always going to be that niggle, that reminder of the frustration of seeing him scuff up 1-on-1s and the disappointment that went with it.
  • Options

Had to check that this is a Sam Baldock thread !

It's quite possible SHG that people aint got any more to say about Baldock. I for one very much hope that is the case though I doubt it.
    How much conjecture can you have over what is, right now, a non event?

• Options
    Sorry, I meant pointless conjecture.
  • Options
    This Baldock speculation is boring me now to be fair!

Personally I seriously do not understand why Hayes has been frozen out? The only reason I can think of, is to free up his wages.

If I cast my mind back 11-12 Months ago, we were flying. BWP & Hayes combining brilliantly, consistently playing balls into feet and we were tearing teams apart...

Kermie comes available (don't get me wrong, I love Kermie just as much as everyone else), then we become a lot more direct, a it's naturally the easier option!

I say stick with Hayes and let him have a crack. It's not like he was churning performances out like Clarke!!! He is a decent player, when you get the ball to his feet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bored too. There must be other players we can obsess about for a change. Eggs in one basket.
  • Options

I don't think thats a fair assessment though. He was part of a team that seemingly walked the league; that provided many many chances. How many chances were Evans and Rhodes fed? What was the ratio of goals to chances? Those the real numbers involved.

We have to remember the dry spell involved seemed to signal a change for dear old Bradley. Unfortunately a lot of fans reacted badly to it (perhaps quite rightfully; thinking in the moment could easily lead you to think 'He's got shit. Lazy and poor. Put someone else on or get someone on loan.' - not saying I agree, when you consider the bigger picture he is a class act and a brilliant asset.) and it further destroyed his confidence.

I wont pull any punches though - he is a very good player with oodles of potential; he set the league on fire at the begining of the season and was a major player in the Champions' team. However, he was quite poor for periods towards the end of the season - I got fed up with him getting in brilliant positions, getting brilliant balls, and scuffing them up.

Would I get rid of him though? No. Lets not forget just how good he was to begin with - he was absolutely brilliant. Just watch some of the goal compilations on youtube, or the Champions DVD - he could take chances and he could confidently win 1-on-1s. Whilst this may not have been the case towards the end of the season, I still thought his work-rate was very good - he could hold-up the ball, make runs and ultimately help attacks form.

What do I expect of him this season? I really want to say we'll see the BWP of a year ago, confident and taking chances well. He has publicly stated he thinks he'll find the Championship style of play better, and be able to take more chances; whether this is true or not, he has the perfect mindset right now. It's a clean slate from the end last season, he just needs to get out there, put the last few months of the season behind him and remember where he was a year ago - easily one of the fan's favourites. Unfortunately, in my mind there's always going to be that niggle, that reminder of the frustration of seeing him scuff up 1-on-1s and the disappointment that went with it.

Well said. ' you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone' is a statement that has come back to haunt so many. BWP was THE man who scored the goals last year. End of. Will he be up there at the top next year? - who knows. He deserves the respect his record demands and our support. Yes, he could have been better - that applys to all. I was as frustrated as you all to his misses, spoilt by Darren Bent I am afraid.

I am excited by the thought of Balldock joining, I really hope he does as he is of the age that fits our profile and we, and him, will benefit. But at the end of the day Football is a team sport and you need the squad. I have never really understood the differance of squad rotation and being droped to the bench. At the end of the day you need compition for every place. Not just for cover, but for the compition of places that improves the desire and for the cover for injuries. This is not about who is better - time will answer that, but does a signing improve the squad. Balldock will. Losing BWP will weaken the squad. I want it all. See to it please.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Seems we can finally stop talking about Baldock...breaking on twitter that a deal to Bristol City is done
  • Options
    But has he agreed to the move though? We just don't know. Will be gutted if we miss out cause I personally feel wright phillips will miss so many sitters
  • Options
    There is not a Bristol City deal for Baldock at present, and won't be until City shift Adomah. The twitter ITK folks may say there is a deal for Baldock, it ain't Bristol City.
  • Options
    Ian Abrahams‏@Moose_talkSPORT

I can now say a fee for Sam Baldock has been agreed tonight with Bristol City.
  • Options
    So frustrating we've missed out on a player of his calibre, obviously an offer or some sort of contact had been made with the player/club and to see what imo would be a top signing slip through the net is gutting
  • Options
    TravHouse said:

Seems we can finally stop talking about Baldock...breaking on twitter that a deal to Bristol City is done

Ahh but Mr Talkshite reported it:

Ian Abrahams ‏@Moose_talkSPORT

Meaning it just can't happen.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

So frustrating we've missed out on a player of his calibre, obviously an offer or some sort of contact had been made with the player/club and to see what imo would be a top signing slip through the net is gutting

I'm just struggling out of teams who look worse than us on paper. Bristol City I thought would be down there but beating us to Baldock makes me think twice.
  • Options
    And the winner of the longest post goes to...

• Sponsored links:

• Options

TravHouse said:

Ahh but Mr Talkshite reported it:

Ian Abrahams ‏@Moose_talkSPORT

Meaning it just can't happen.
    If it was just him tweeting it I would ignore it...
  • Options
    Remember , Moose was the person who first broke the 'baldock to Bristol city to be done by the end of last week
  • Options
    Time to give up the endless 'who are we signing 'malarky and get behind what we've got.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Seems there is a twist....Jack Sullivan (David Sullivan's son) has just confirmed on twitter that NO bid has been accepted for Sam Baldock from Bristol City...
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    TravHouse said:

Seems there is a twist....Jack Sullivan (David Sullivan's son) has just confirmed on twitter that NO bid has been accepted for Sam Baldock from Bristol City...

Why am I not surprised........I still doubt we'll sign him though. : (

Time to give up the endless 'who are we signing 'malarky and get behind what we've got.

I'm very behind what we've got, just because I want us to sign Baldock doesn't mean I'm not supporting the current team.
  • Options
    We won't be signing baldock. End of thread
  • Options
    Seems the thread ended ages ago actually :D
  • Options

We won't be signing baldock. End of thread

Is that a rumour? Or an actual FACT statement?

• Options
    Well I email my mate pretty much every day (not just about baldcock) and I'm prob peeing him off now but he said we won't be getting him. If were getting anyone it will be loans or frees.

So if Bristol city are offering 1.5m were not going to match that. Then you have his wages. Then we have Clarke and Hayes on big wages and they don't seem to be going anywhere. Unless we can find some doe i don't see how were going to get him.

I'm hoping my mate will email me sooner or later saying baldocks at the training ground but not holding out any hope.
  • Options
    And my mate is part of the back room staff getting to travel every with them Inc Vegas the lucky bugger