Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dreamland Margate

The council have won the compulsary purchase order.

Plans are to re-open Easter 2014 .

Can't wait, lots of great childhood/teenage memories there would be great to give some to my children. At the moment it looks so miserable and sad to see.

Comments

• Options
    Good news, as Margate really has become a really sad state of affairs compared to what it used to be.

I was there about a couple of years ago for my uncle's birthday on a Friday night, and the place was absolutely dead. I got in a taxi outside the station, and the poor sad had been waiting there 3 hours for a fare!
  • Options
    Good news. I used to love Dreamland when i was a kid. Took a trip to Margate a couple of years ago and couldn't believe what a hole it had become.
  • Options
    Used to love it there. Combined rail and theme park ticket. Used to be about £15.00 from Eltham.
  • Options
    hope it helps regenerate Margate, great memories of that place as a teenager.

sadly, it has become a hovel infested with low life and immigrants.
  • Options
    To be fair, there are some quite nice areas in the outskirts.
  • Options
    Had some great times in Margate,not set foot in the place for twenty years.Hope the town picks up.
  • Options
    Needs something that place
  • Options
    A couple of years time a Jolly Boys Outing, our coacj blows up and I bump into an old girlfriend ;D
  • Options
    good .. it'll go a long way to rejuvenate an iconic yet dying town
  • Options
    The Old Town is doing its best. And the Turner. There's a lovely pub there called the Lifeboat too, if you like your ales.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lifeboat inn is really nice pub real ales and cider, pub just opposite not sure what it's called has large Cafc flag up on the wall.
  • Options
    It would not take much more than dream land being reinstated to get margate back on the map
  • Options
    scenic railway quality great memories
  • Options
    Not wrong mate i used to love that place so much

Didnt it catch fire though

• Options
    Arson
  • Options
    Was it totalled or did they save it
  • Options
    Used to love it there. Combined rail and theme park ticket. Used to be about £15.00 from Eltham.

Used to buy that ticket from woolwich arsenal
    All through the summer
  • Options
    Agreed on the Lifeboat, good place. Less said about the rest of Margate the better!
  • Options

Was it totalled or did they save it

About a quarter of it was damaged and the original trains destroyed but will be completely restored back to its original condition now. All the rides have been bought from old fairgrounds around Britain. Most of the rides were considered amongst the best in the UK in former times. With Turner, the old town and Dreamland watch Margate improve no ends in the next few years.
  • Options
    Like most, i also have very fond memories of trips down to margate for the day. Loved Dreamland.

Remeber the local suicidal brave kids who used to dash under the mary rose ship to pick up the coins that rained down from the folk who were turned upside down
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A mate of mine runs what used to be the punch & judy next door to dreamland. Called the bracket now. Good boozer, well worth a visit
  • Options
    Game On then mate boozy day at your pals and onto the fair
  • Options
    Carter said:

A mate of mine runs what used to be the punch & judy next door to dreamland. Called the bracket now. Good boozer, well worth a visit

Was in Margate last night and the bracket was closed.
  • Options
    Spent many a summers evening down at Bembom Brothers.

Love Margate, great beach, easy to get to. Can't wait u til Dreamland is reborn. Though it will be full of nostalgic 40 year olds with teary eyes.

As for a CL Jolly Boys outing, yep I think a few of us would be up for it.
  • Options
    With all the theme park being made of nostalgic rides and turned into an 'old town' theme park I think it will offer something different to other seaside towns and to other themeparks it will also complement old town very well.

I go margate quite often mainly because it's quiet and you can always park. The dreamland carpark is still open and cheap, even on a very hot day they don't fill it. Same goes for the other end where the lido is/was it is deserted now, the mini golf still runs and it's only £2.50 for 18 holes with a choice of 2 courses, it's always free for some reason. The owners said the Turner opening did nothing for their mini golf business, can't say I'm surprised.
  • Options
    BDL said:

As for a CL Jolly Boys outing, yep I think a few of us would be up for it.

Won't have to worry about parking the coach outside the roman galley as its no longer a pub.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Pre season friendly at Margate would be perfect....

So many great times at Dreamland....
  • Options
    There was a big do on at totally wired, that's why they shut it up
  • Options
    They have visibly started clearing! Yay!
  • Options
    Hastings pier has got the funding for rebuilding, too. There used to be an old sign: NO FISHING (INCLUDES MACKEREL).