Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dreamland Margate

Comments

• Options
    When I was a kid you could buy a ticket for dreamland from the train station , all rides were free upon entry, I hope every one enjoys and I can't wait to visit with the kids in the summer
  • Options
    Is the Mary rose and the looping star coming back ,

The joke shop outside is that re opening
  • Options
    only once on the Mary Rose did I forget to remove inhaler from pocket before the bar came down into the groin area. Literally in tears as a 14 year old and no one would believe me I was in pain, just that I was a wuss that didn't like the ride.
  • Options
    Some of my finest teenage memories were at that place, spent so many Saturdays or Sundays there,
  • Options

Is the Mary rose and the looping star coming back ,

The joke shop outside is that re opening

they are trying to get the looping star, the have a pirate ship instead of mary rose
  • Options
    Saw a good pic earlier of @Carter with Boycee from Fools n Horses
  • Options
    edited June 2015

When I was a kid you could buy a ticket for dreamland from the train station , all rides were free upon entry, I hope every one enjoys and I can't wait to visit with the kids in the summer

£11.00 from Woolwich Arsenal. Done it loads as a teenager. Usually shitfaced on Super T and cheap Speed by the time we got there.

Had some serious "near misses" (getting beaten to death by bikers) in the pub next to the entrance.

Proper happy days. Remember a mate being plucked out by the coast guard after he tried to swim to France. He'd only had 10 cans!
  • Options
    Skinning up with a sixteenth ( kids wouldn't even know what that is now ) I was more the thunderbird red Binge drinker , ended up Kipping down there as missed the last train on many an occasion,

It needs the looping star to be dream land if not then it's Ben bom brothers (spelling)
  • Options
    Had a jolly boys outing there in '83 from work.
  • Options
    I remember getting coaxed on the Mary Rose by some workmates only to love every minute of it and get back on three or four times in succession, sitting in different seats each time I remember seeing a guy sit down at the far end from us with what ressembled a slush puppy, fortunately the operator saw it before the ride started up. Am I right in remembering younger children collecting falling coins from below as they fell from people's pockets?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Had a jolly boys outing there in '83 from work.

Fantastic pair of strides on the guy on the far right.
  • Options
    Was a bit chaotic last night but not in an awful way

Rides were all open bar the scenic railway which looks the part but is going to need to be stayed on top of maintenance-wise

Chas and Dave as always were note-perfect, didn't watch Marina & her diamonds. Assuming it was as busy as it is going to get it was sufferable. The shared toilet queue was amusing inside but some of the snaggy bits like that are still to be finished.

Good night and I think Margate can really kick on and drag itself up now
  • Options
    Thanks for that report, Carter.

Margate- sun, sea, fish & chips and Dreamland.....who needed to travel abroad back in the 50's and 60's ?

Don't remember the Looping Star but was this the only park that had a double Big Wheel ?

As a young 'un , I loved the Caterpillar and, like ME14, the River Caves.

Great memories.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Rides were all open bar the scenic railway which looks the part but is going to need to be stayed on top of maintenance-wise

Chas and Dave as always were note-perfect, didn't watch Marina & her diamonds. Assuming it was as busy as it is going to get it was sufferable. The shared toilet queue was amusing inside but some of the snaggy bits like that are still to be finished.

I hope your right and the scumbags aren't allowed to drag it back down.
  • Options
    What about Peter Pans playground in Southend Lane. I loved that as a kid. Never quite understood why it was there.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Carter said:

I hope your right and the scumbags aren't allowed to drag it back down.
    Yeah Margate has taken a hit from being used as a dumping ground for those who need re-homing urgently. Which is a great shame because even through the last 2 decades when it has been on the slide the beach is still fantastic and remained so. The old town is really picking back up and for those who like a proper pub you are spoilt for choice. The turner gallery has helped. Hopefully now there is enough opportunities for the locals to stop them misbehaving
  • Options
    Carter said:

All the rides were not open, there were at least four not open, the scenic railway, the big wheel, monorail and what looked like a hanging chair ride. Also loads of food stalls not open. Although I did have fun, a lot of work still needs to be done. I'd give it another couple of months if anyone is planning on going.
  • Options

I loved Dreamland as I was growing up and I seem to remember that it was free to enter, but you only paid for the rides you wanted to go on. From what I can see from the website, you have to pay to enter now. Although I would like to walk around Dreamland, I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to some of the rides, so it wouldn't be worth paying to go in.

I think they're missing a trick, as if it were free to enter, people may well spend money on food and drink even if they don't want to go on the rides.

My favourite rides were the River Caves and the Water Chute though I don't think either is there now.

Im pretty sure I always paid to get in, would have been about 88/89/90 I reckon, got your hand stamped I think. Used to get entry and train tickets for one price.
    All rides were free inside, im sure, as I only ever had enough for food, drink and halves on 10 benson and a box of matches.

• Options

I loved Dreamland as I was growing up and I seem to remember that it was free to enter, but you only paid for the rides you wanted to go on. From what I can see from the website, you have to pay to enter now. Although I would like to walk around Dreamland, I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to some of the rides, so it wouldn't be worth paying to go in.

I think they're missing a trick, as if it were free to enter, people may well spend money on food and drink even if they don't want to go on the rides.

My favourite rides were the River Caves and the Water Chute though I don't think either is there now.

Im pretty sure I always paid to get in, would have been about 88/89/90 I reckon, got your hand stamped I think. Used to get entry and train tickets for one price.
    All rides were free inside, im sure, as I only ever had enough for food, drink and halves on 10 benson and a box of matches.

Bang on mate
  • Options
    Perhaps I don't remember paying because my parents or grandparents paid for me when I was young!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:

Carter said:

All the rides were not open, there were at least four not open, the scenic railway, the big wheel, monorail and what looked like a hanging chair ride. Also loads of food stalls not open. Although I did have fun, a lot of work still needs to be done. I'd give it another couple of months if anyone is planning on going.
    To be honest I only acknowledged the scenic railway, ive since been told others weren't open I just thought they were not ready. Now bare with me.... as that doesn't read how I mean it to sound

I got an email saying because of the scenic railway being closed this would mean we could use the wristbands and go another time for nixy. Being totally honest I wasn't there for the rides and wasn't expecting them to be open anyway I thought it was going to be just a curtain raiser with some entertainment on.

• Options
    PopIcon said:

Carter said:

To be honest I only acknowledged the scenic railway, ive since been told others weren't open I just thought they were not ready. Now bare with me.... as that doesn't read how I mean it to sound

I got an email saying because of the scenic railway being closed this would mean we could use the wristbands and go another time for nixy. Being totally honest I wasn't there for the rides and wasn't expecting them to be open anyway I thought it was going to be just a curtain raiser with some entertainment on.

• Options
    PopIcon said:

Carter said:

Agree with all of this. Chas n Dave were on top form as always but Dreamland as a whole just wasn't ready. Still looks like a bit of a building site in places. Lots of things not open. They should have held off on the grand opening for a while longer. All in all it was a bit disappointing. I will go there again as I'm sure it'll be great when it's finished but I'll certainly give it at least a few months before going back
  • Options

Perhaps I don't remember paying because my parents or grandparents paid for me when I was young!

It WAS free to get in Dreamland in the 60s and early 70s, and then you paid for each ride/attraction you went on. My Dad's sunday league cricket team used to hire a double decker bus and go down there for a beano in the summer. Arrived late morning, look around, fish and chips, back on the beach, penny arcade amusements until about 6pm then in Dreamland for 2-3 hours before the trek back. Kids upstairs at the front of the bus back, peering out of the open windows (remember the small wind down windows back then?) so got home with eyes like a zombie. Loved the scenic railway but also the little house where you were strapped in a chair and appeared to spin around, upside down. You knew it was the structure that was moving, and not yourself, but it felt real. A bit like a simulator is these days, but low-tech 60s style :smile:
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I grew up in the 60s & 70s so that is probably why I remember it as being free to enter. I think a 2 tier payment would be a good idea so those who don't want to go on all the rides can pay less than those that do.
  • Options
    Have they put the old big wheel back on? Bit of a let down once you've been on the caterpillar and ghost train
  • Options
    The looping star changed my life, my first time on it was also the first time I didn't turn a nasty shade of green and puke everywhere after stepping off any ride I tried to endure. I'll never forget running straight around to the queue again to get straight back on grinning and laughing like a complete loony. I've loved all thrill rides ever since that day.
  • Options
    Did any of you who went see the Big 6 play?
  • Options
    Bit of a let down tbh, can't help but feel they have rushed it to be open. No scenic railway, kiss me quick closed plus one other ride, two rides not running until this afternoon. Rides breaking down, and then when it rained total closure, food kiosks just not ready for volume of visitors
  • Options

Bit of a let down tbh, can't help but feel they have rushed it to be open. No scenic railway, kiss me quick closed plus one other ride, two rides not running until this afternoon. Rides breaking down, and then when it rained total closure, food kiosks just not ready for volume of visitors

And don't even start on the donut situation.