Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dreamland Margate

Comments

• Options
    They are opening the gates to the public tomorrow explaining their plans and showing people around. Is anybody going?
  • Options
    The Beano is to be reborn. I remember being year 10 about June 1997 and at Thomas Tallis we had a geography field week and on the monday we went into Kent near where bluewater was being built at the time and we walked over the curvy bridge that goes over the M25 near Dartford bridge. Another day we went up to East London and on the friday we went down to Margate to do some sort of orienteering around the town and we was all told we shouldn't go to Dreamland after finishing. But did anyone take any notice? Did they hell! I went and on the last ride I went on that old wooden roller coaster and broke down in the middle. Luckily we was all up right. But it nearly made me miss the coach back and I didn't have a mobile phone at the time. When you say you didn't have a mobile phone at the time, that is when you know you are getting old. When we got back to Kidbrooke it was hammering it down Yeovil style. But here is something to get us in the mood for the re-opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXWJ_6aV15g
  • Options
    Before you all plan your Jolly Boys outings, the intention is to open in 2015 not 2014 - just looked at the website.

I thought what was being planned would be difficult to do in six months - really impressive!

Used to go every year as a kid and was heartbroken when it shut.
  • Options
    PJW1 said:

Before you all plan your Jolly Boys outings, the intention is to open in 2015 not 2014 - just looked at the website.

I thought what was being planned would be difficult to do in six months - really impressive!

Ditto, PJW1.

Disneyland is a fantastic experience, but Dreamland was good, old fashioned fun.

• Options
    PJW1 said:

Back in august 2012 when I started thread it was due to be 2014 but then came the appeal process from the at the time current owners slowing everything down.
  • Options
    Was heaving yesterday, there's a lot more people interested than I anticipated, great news though.
  • Options
    Saw it was on- when are they hoping to open?
  • Options
    Easter 2015, maybe earlier for events with travelling fairs, they are starting to rebuild the scenic railway in February so bad weather doesn't get in the way too much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Work has started
  • Options
    My daughter and ex wife have not long moved down to Margate. It's not as run down as I was led to believe at all, although there are a few things closed, I thought it was alright. I like the little pub on the harbour wall. It could have a lot going for it again.
  • Options
    Weekly update, they're going at it, left side of scenic railway almost all removed plus under buildings and foundations.
  • Options
    What gauge will it be?
  • Options
    Next week I'll take them through the fence, probably be massive progress then, they're working fast.
  • Options
    They better lose the little spaceship ride that blackened my fingers and made me cry when my nan took me as a nipper. I won't be going back in that basted place until I've had an absolute guarantee of that.
  • Options
    Loved Dreamland. If they can get it back to 70% of what it was in its heyday that will be some achievement. Sadly I will be 40 years older, so will never be able to enjoy it as much as I did as a nipper.
  • Options

My daughter and ex wife have not long moved down to Margate. It's not as run down as I was led to believe at all, although there are a few things closed, I thought it was alright. I like the little pub on the harbour wall. It could have a lot going for it again.

I had lunch in there last October and it was pretty good. There was no one else in there but the food was good and the staff were nice. They allowed me to take the dog in.
  • Options
    Loved it down there many a works beano was had
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some pics from today, should be clearer than last week, most of the left side has gone and the cafes and huts underneath are gone.
  • Options
    Senpai said:

I had lunch in there last October and it was pretty good. There was no one else in there but the food was good and the staff were nice. They allowed me to take the dog in.
    There are two pubs along that harbour wall. The Lighthouse and The Harbour Arms. I'm guessing you went in The Lighthouse right at the end as the other one is tiny and I can't imagine they do food. They do good cheap beer though.
  • Options
    Arlington House is an eyesore, they need to get rid of it.
  • Options

Arlington House is an eyesore, they need to get rid of it.

By the looks of it it could fall down.
  • Options
    Much better pics Sadie , just got a sore neck now
  • Options

Senpai said:

There are two pubs along that harbour wall. The Lighthouse and The Harbour Arms. I'm guessing you went in The Lighthouse right at the end as the other one is tiny and I can't imagine they do food. They do good cheap beer though.
    psshead
  • Options
    Shag said:

Senpai said:

psshead
    All Bar One lunchtime....?
  • Options
    I've just got back from breakfast !
  • Options
    Shag said:

Much better pics Sadie , just got a sore neck now

I find it easier to just tilt the phone/tablet/laptop are you still using one of those old fashioned pc thingies?? :-p
  • Options
    I'm at work sweetheart x