Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dreamland Margate

12346»

Comments

• Options

I'm not surprised. The entry fee is way too high for what they have, it also deters people who just want to browse or maybe just go on the scenic railway.

They need to put it back to free entree and tokens/wristbands or a very low browsing cost plus rides. The way it is isn't going to attract a lot of visitors.

I agree Sadie. I'm a bit of a coward with fairground rides but my husband loves them. It would be a waste of money for me to pay to go in and not ride, so they actually lose out as neither of us will go in.
  • Options
    wifey and i went down to Margate couple months ago---had a wander over and as has already been said the place looked derelict from the outside----had a wander on the beach spot of lunch look into the Tate and then home.
    All projects suffer from the unknown but surely you would have put the entrance in as a priority ?
  • Options
    As I understand it a great amount of energy and community help went into this project, and it is very sad to see that it appears not to have received the success I am sure it should have.
    Personally I enquired about having some students doing a photographic project down there, but never really got a proper response, despite emails and phone calls. The PR company and press officer, who in fairness seemed to change a few times did not respond?. Pity as the results would have appeared in a glossy magazine, and the students would have gained some great shots for there portfolios. I used to get emails updating the progress, and featured ideas, but not had one for several months. Perhaps I will contact them again, for next term.
  • Options
    As an outsider I think that Margate looks OK from the seafront but as soon you go one street back it's pretty grim. Parking behind the Peugeot dealership the other day was an eye opener in social deprivation.
  • Options
    Was there yesterday for the scooter rally and is quite a nice place, Dreamland/Arlington house really lets it down though and needs to be ripped down. had a look at Margate stadium as well, sure we will be playing there soon
  • Options
    £14.95 in advance or £17.95 on the door is a lot of money for an attraction, and a serious barrier to anyone fancying a look around inside and the odd ride, especially when the outside isn't enticing. Even the child prices aren't much cheaper.

It's a bit chicken and egg, I guess. Margate is a bit of a dump, so people don't go there. As a result of this, Margate stays a bit of a dump...

• Options
    As has already been said the entrace is still a mess, so much so that when we went, we weren't sure if it was the right way in. They mist be losing "passing trade" as to someone not aware of the place it would look closed. Even the old style arcade area felt a bit rough.

Its a shame as it has potential, but when we were there a few weeks back it felt expensive for what is there and very temporary.
  • Options
    Margate suffered from the councils of south London 'dumping' their social problems there as the property was cheap to rent. Cliftonville in particular is run down.

In the old town however there are a few nice watering holes, cafes and independent shops.The Harbour Arms is decent too.
    When I went to Margate recently though, I noticed the covered seating area facing the sea was all boarded up to stop the homeless sleeping there. In the space of about six months that had been turned into a cardboard city. If Dreamland does goes bust that would be a real sting in town's recovery, which evidently still has a lot of social deprivation. They rushed the opening of Dreamland, and that, plus the pricing structure has dented their opportunity for success.
  • Options
    Scrapped entry charge, now charging per ride and/or wristband.
  • Options
    Sensible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's a good move, you have to encourage people into the park, and make the place look busier
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Margate suffered from the councils of south London 'dumping' their social problems there as the property was cheap to rent. Cliftonville in particular is run down.

In the old town however there are a few nice watering holes, cafes and independent shops.The Harbour Arms is decent too.
    When I went to Margate recently though, I noticed the covered seating area facing the sea was all boarded up to stop the homeless sleeping there. In the space of about six months that had been turned into a cardboard city. If Dreamland does goes bust that would be a real sting in town's recovery, which evidently still has a lot of social deprivation. They rushed the opening of Dreamland, and that, plus the pricing structure has dented their opportunity for success.

Nothing is ever "rushed" in Thanet, believe you me. Everything takes two or three times as long as it should. The opening itself was delayed and delayed. We (the council) were well aware of the risks attached to bad first impressions, but the project needed to start generating income to help fund itself.
  • Options
    It's a shame that it only open on Saturday and Sunday until 23rd July. We have a week off work before that and I was hoping to go along now that entry is free. I expect Saturday and Sunday will be very busy until then.
  • Options
    Can only remember going to Margate once (years ago) but spent the day there yesterday and have to say we really enjoyed it. Nice beach, not too crowded and lots of nice cafes/bars in the old town. Went to dreamland in the evening and the wristbands were only £10 each. There's still a bit of work to be done there but was impressed with what they've done so far.
  • Options
    Just had a lovely meal in Mullins restaurant in Margate old town. Whilst my daughter was seeing Prof Brian Cox show.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Excuse me from slightly changing the subject.
    May I recommend a fantastic Indian restaurant in Margate old town called The Ambrette.....modern nouveau Indian cuisine, very very different from the average Indian. The chef, Dev Biswal, is top drawer......you won't find any curries here!
    They have a very popular lunch menu, reasonably priced too, which changes every day, as do the daily specials.The wine list is varied and interesting.
    It has some great reviews in a number of on line restaurant guides etc and has Michelin ratings!
    I would recommend booking, particularly in the summer months.
  • Options
    Never been in the old town before last night. So much different to the sea front.
  • Options

cafc-west said:

Once inside its OK. From the outside looks awful. Don't know why the didn't make it a priority to refurbish the outside that faces the seafront and the bit everyone sees! Its hardly going to tempt anyone in...

Other than the park, what else has Margate got to offer?
    Fingering ?
    Had to Google that and Margate for research, should be banned

'Come to Margate for the weekend for the vintage fair and old school fingering'
  • Options
    ads said:

cafc-west said:

Once inside its OK. From the outside looks awful. Don't know why the didn't make it a priority to refurbish the outside that faces the seafront and the bit everyone sees! Its hardly going to tempt anyone in...

Other than the park, what else has Margate got to offer?
    Fingering ?
    Had to Google that and Margate for research, should be banned

'Come to Margate for the weekend for the vintage fair and old school fingering'
    Brings new meaning to jolly boys outing.
  • Options

May I recommend a fantastic Indian restaurant in Margate old town called The Ambrette.....modern nouveau Indian cuisine, very very different from the average Indian. The chef, Dev Biswal, is top drawer......you won't find any curries here!
    They have a very popular lunch menu, reasonably priced too, which changes every day, as do the daily specials.The wine list is varied and interesting.
    It has some great reviews in a number of on line restaurant guides etc and has Michelin ratings!

There's one in Canterbury too, I've heard good things.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Recently saw the current entry price for Alton towers £51.60 for adults and £45.60 for kids. They often do two for one but that is obscene! Pretty much £200 for a family of 4 to go. Haven't been to dreamland for years, how does it compare value for money wise?
  • Options

Recently saw the current entry price for Alton towers £51.60 for adults and £45.60 for kids. They often do two for one but that is obscene! Pretty much £200 for a family of 4 to go. Haven't been to dreamland for years, how does it compare value for money wise?

When a while back before he went into trouble, think it was £54 for 3 of us, plus a tenner in the car park. Having said that, there was too many rides open.
  • Options

A fair bit cheaper but the rides will be nowhere near as good as Alton Towers
  • Options
    Plenty of deals to get into Alton Towers. £51 is the gate price. You can save around £20 per person just by booking well in advance.

Loads of 2 for 1 as well.

We got free tickets when leaving Thorpe Park in August as a few rides were closed for extended periods. Used the tickets in the middle of October on a Sunday and it wasn't too busy at all. Good time to go.
  • Options

On that note, there is a Thai Café in the high street, which completely belies its looks. A greasy spoon by day, but exquisite Thai food in the evening at a great price and take your own drink.
  • Options

Nothing is ever "rushed" in Thanet, believe you me. Everything takes two or three times as long as it should. The opening itself was delayed and delayed. We (the council) were well aware of the risks attached to bad first impressions, but the project needed to start generating income to help fund itself.
    I can't imagine that any council does anything quickly!