Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

dale stephens villa bid

Comments

• Options

£27m debt you sure?.

I have no idea, 'Henry' proposed this figure on a recent post .. he is in 'the know' or in a position to make a very calculated guesstimate
  • Options

£27m debt you sure?.

No, could be more.
  • Options

Seems like good housekeeping to me - rather than stockpile players you don't want and end up with a bloated squad, its one in, one out. Exactly like Charlton in the 90's. Sensible. Last season was different because drastic 'surgery' was required.

exactly what i've posted on another thread. Dont buy into the "we're skint" malarky. The board knew they'd have to stump up for at least a year in league one and did. That covered the losses then and the jenkinson transfer gave us a decent kitty. I've always felt like this is precisely the plan the board had in the first place (cash leaving was not part of the plan but was not absolutely crucial). Spend this year consolodating and maybe having to balance the books and maybe push for promotion next season. Didn't some one ask Slater last season when it was all "rosey" where we'd be in 5 years? And he said something like just got in to the premiership after yo yoing a couple of seasons?

Without wanting to sound patronising to anyone, i seriously doubt anyone has any sources for anyone on the current board. Just people "connected" or working within the club. This means we only have a very limited understanding of what's going on at board level. I've worked at places and played in teams and I know that you can overhear the wrong thing and jump to conclusions and the whole pack of cards comes tumbling down. Chinese whispers and all that. I know many people have said their sources have no reasons to lie, but maybe those sources are less connected than before and when one person gets the wrong end of the stick everyone starts to panic.

The board have done nothing wrong in my view at all so far, I'll back them like I'll back the team. Just my 2 cents. Don't want to offend or anger anyone but i felt like i had to get that off my chest.

Back to the transfer thread, stephens would go for the right price, but i really think solly should and will stay.
    Very good post.

I'd let Stephens go for the right price, but would try to keep hold of Solly at all costs if possible.
  • Options
    Manchester United's debt is over £400m and they have just bought RVP.
  • Options

£27m debt you sure?.

no non no no non no no no !!!!
  • Options
    Interesting rumour. I think people miss some of what he does, the deep lying passing midfielder isn't a particularly fashionable role, I think he'd be hard to replace. But if he's taking a step up, we're not selling to a divisional rival then it may be good business. Maybe we'd be better with an all action player like Pritch there, or Jacko in the hole.
    with Hollands sitting back.
  • Options

There allowed to have as much debt and spend as much as they like, as there Man Utd.(well that is what it seems like)

• Options

their annual income is huge & Old Trafford stadium is worth a fortune
  • Options
    When has a football club being in debt ever stopped them signing players ? Rangers, Pompey etc etc.
  • Options
    I know- but I was trying to show that a quoted debt figure means veruy little.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anybody know what Stephen's pass completion stats are? People say his main asset is the way he moves the ball and keeps us ticking over, which to an extent Ii think is true, but my perception watching him play is he is quite prone to misplaced passes, or at least he is for someone labelled as a deep lying playmaker.
  • Options
    He is prone to the odd misplaced pass...that's because it is his job to provide the killer pass or Hollywood ball as some call it. Sometimes it doesn't come off. But he has the skill to pull it off more often than not and more than other players who try those types of pass.
  • Options
    i would b shocked if we went. atm hes playing first team football with a team on the rise. if he does go.... i would move jacko inside and let kerkar/haynes/green battle out the LM spot....
  • Options
    He will go. It's just weather the price is right
  • Options

And what if its not?

• Options

So who's in the yes camp , and who's in the no camp?

• Options

That's a very gloomy forecast. Don't let the rumours cloud your judgement.
  • Options

Depends on the price really doesn't it? Anything around 1.5 mill and I'd be ok with it.
  • Options
    It never rains but it pours.
  • Options

How is the weather with you and what's all this about the Nou Camp?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haha very good , i don't really want to lose any of our first team as this stage of the season.
  • Options
    why don't we have a whip round and try and get john barnes back for 1 more season. he'll replace stephens and we can try and get greg shields in , if there's any change left to replace solly.
  • Options
    Lol. Apologies. Whether
  • Options

Seems like good housekeeping to me - rather than stockpile players you don't want and end up with a bloated squad, its one in, one out. Exactly like Charlton in the 90's. Sensible. Last season was different because drastic 'surgery' was required.

exactly what i've posted on another thread. Dont buy into the "we're skint" malarky. The board knew they'd have to stump up for at least a year in league one and did. That covered the losses then and the jenkinson transfer gave us a decent kitty. I've always felt like this is precisely the plan the board had in the first place (cash leaving was not part of the plan but was not absolutely crucial). Spend this year consolodating and maybe having to balance the books and maybe push for promotion next season. Didn't some one ask Slater last season when it was all "rosey" where we'd be in 5 years? And he said something like just got in to the premiership after yo yoing a couple of seasons?

Without wanting to sound patronising to anyone, i seriously doubt anyone has any sources for anyone on the current board. Just people "connected" or working within the club. This means we only have a very limited understanding of what's going on at board level. I've worked at places and played in teams and I know that you can overhear the wrong thing and jump to conclusions and the whole pack of cards comes tumbling down. Chinese whispers and all that. I know many people have said their sources have no reasons to lie, but maybe those sources are less connected than before and when one person gets the wrong end of the stick everyone starts to panic.

The board have done nothing wrong in my view at all so far, I'll back them like I'll back the team. Just my 2 cents. Don't want to offend or anger anyone but i felt like i had to get that off my chest.

Back to the transfer thread, stephens would go for the right price, but i really think solly should and will stay.
    You might be right and this might have been the original plan - but that doesn't mean without Cash's money it's still affordable.
  • Options

However we still need to balance books, so players will have to leave every so often. Charlton Athletic in the mid 90s anyone?

And the 60s.

And the 70s.

And the 80s.

;o)
  • Options
    Boo hiss. Dale is on the way to being a fantastic player.....I hope he becomes one in a Charlton shirt!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

However we still need to balance books, so players will have to leave every so often. Charlton Athletic in the mid 90s anyone?

And the 60s.

And the 70s.

And the 80s.

;o)
    haha yeah but without the financial instability. I mean we didn't have any cash flying around in the 90s for sure, but we made ends meet and had to sell a player or two every so often.
  • Options
    If Dale doesn't go I think he will become a better player very quickly. He will have more confidence and will be more appreciated by the fans.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

And the 60s.

And the 70s.

And the 80s.

;o)
    Someone knows his history :)
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Oggy Red said:

And the 60s.

And the 70s.

And the 80s.

;o)
    haha yeah but without the financial instability. I mean we didn't have any cash flying around in the 90s for sure, but we made ends meet and had to sell a player or two every so often.
    Hi Kent, my post was just a lighthearted way of saying it's ever been thus - certainly most of the past 50 years and more at Charlton.

Off the top of my head .....it started with us selling Italy international Eddie Firmani, then there was Marvin Hinton, Mike Bailey, Billy Bonds and Lenny Glover in the 60s; Alan Campbell, Ray Treacy, Paul Went, Derek Hales and Mike Flanagan in the 70s; Paul Walsh and Paul Elliott in the 80s. And others I've probably forgotten right now.

But we did buy European Footballer of the Year Allan Simonsen from Barcelona, which virtually bankrupted us.

And the rest, so they tell us, is history.

;o)