Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

dale stephens villa bid

Comments

• Options
    cafc_joe said:

I think you're right Dan. Do Oldham have a sell-on clause?

Would be amazing if they didn't.

• Options
    Well there is never smoke without fire is there? I would not be grief stricken if Aston Villa paid us the thick end of £1M for Stephens who to my mind has a great deal to prove but Solly is another matter he is our best player. I fear that the early rumours about finances are true, one being that again Richard Murray had to put cash into the bank account to ensure wages were paid. So the best case scenario from this is that it is all rumours, second best is that they are true and we get a silly amount for Stephens and the owrst is that this heralds the break up of the team and CP calling it a day and moving on.
  • Options
    The news that Villa are bidding for Stephens is good news in my book because i'd say our centre mid is the place that now needs a bit of work done on it and on the basis that its been said that for us to bring players in, we have to move them out, to me it's good news.
  • Options
    At least 4 million for both would be the only amount that would slightly appease me
  • Options
    I would not be fussed about Stephens, to be honest I think Hollands is just as good if not better. Solly I would be gutted about as rate him highly. Reckon we should get around 1.5m for Stephens and no less than 3m for Solly.
  • Options

and the owrst is that this heralds the break up of the team and CP calling it a day and moving on.

This is my concern. Powell was obviously intent on building a team not only for promotion but one with future potential. Selling players that were central to that philosophy, so soon into the game plan, may leave him contemplating whether he can take the club any further forward. One million pounds may pay the wages for a few months but is unlikely to play much of a role in team strengthening, unless Powell can pull another Kermoesque signing out of the bag.

• Options
    Why are we assuming this is about paying the wages?- since original rumours on this site- the club had acquired players - one commanding a significant fee and the others wages. The fact is that two of our players have been subject to bids and those offers have been refused.

With the close of the window and silly season about to erupt, it shouldn't be a surprise that a successful side is subject to bids for some of it's players.
  • Options

With the close of the window and silly season about to erupt, it shouldn't be a surprise that a successful side is subject to bids for some of it's players.

How dare other clubs know how good our players are !

It should only be apparent to us !
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    If they don't go anywhere then the club looks strong ... if Stephens goes for good money then part of rebuilding... can't see any of the first XI going for rubbish money as far simpler to raise £500k by focussing on lifting the gate by 1,000 ... that is by the club doing it's best to finish top half and finding ways to bring more people in

Signing Fuller on £Xk per week tells me that we might lose money over the season but we aren't deparate
  • Options

Why are we assuming this is about paying the wages?- since original rumours on this site- the club had acquired players - one commanding a significant fee and the others wages. The fact is that two of our players have been subject to bids and those offers have been refused.

Who did we pay a fee for ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Lawrie Wilson
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Wilson I guess
  • Options
    Wilson £250k upfront rising to £400k.
  • Options

Wilson £250k upfront rising to £400k.

Ah right, I knew we'd paid around that but wasn't sure it counted as "significant"
  • Options
    It is significant for 2 reasons - a) you don't pay transfer fees if you have no money and b) Clubs don't do deals where the value rises with clubs that have no money.
  • Options
    gonna stick my neck out and say all this financial issues are a storm in a teacup, although Cash has left i think that although we didnt have the clout we had before, wages are being paid. Some one would have chirped up before to the press. Just think this is all chinese whispers really. However we still need to balance books, so players will have to leave every so often. Charlton Athletic in the mid 90s anyone?
  • Options
    That was paid with the £1.2m TV money that arrived and sorted out the tax man as well
  • Options
    Seems like good housekeeping to me - rather than stockpile players you don't want and end up with a bloated squad, its one in, one out. Exactly like Charlton in the 90's. Sensible. Last season was different because drastic 'surgery' was required.
  • Options

It is significant for 2 reasons - a) you don't pay transfer fees if you have no money and b) Clubs don't do deals where the value rises with clubs that have no money.

oh you are very naive. Tell me of one deal where the selling Club has not received the full transfer fee?

• Options
    Stephens would be a typical Lambert purchase: Young, c'ship/1st divison experience, around 1-4 £million. Villa if not skint are not flush with money despite their billionaire owner. Lambert's remit is to survive in the premier whilst rebuilding a worn out & unsuccesful team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What is the current debt our club has?. How would £4m help If we sold solly and stephen's?.i say keep them.
  • Options
    Would we have any chance of gettin delph on loan if we sold Dale for 1 mil.
  • Options

A)If you were skint you'd pay a £250k fee as a replacement for a player you're getting £250k+ for
    B)Yes they do. Quite frequently. Witness the number of football debtors Rangers, Portsmouth et al left in their wake.

If you want to kid yourself shelling out a couple of hundred grand on Wilson means everythings golden that's your choice. But either way, do you think it's normal for a promoted side to only spend £250k plus a couple of free transfers ?
  • Options

What is the current debt our club has?. How would £4m help If we sold solly and stephen's?.i say keep them.

Henry the Navigator reckons it to be .. wait for it ................................ about £27 million, 20 of which is 'long term', so 3 or 4 million would help a lot to appease short term loans
  • Options
    Randy Lerner just sold 70% of Cleveland browns for over gbp 600m. So they are not short of money. He had been trying to get the wage bill down so Stephens wouldn't break the bank on wages
  • Options

yeah I think we should just turn a blind eye to it too ... Race you to see who can bury their head in the sand quickest !!!
  • Options

oh you are very naive. Tell me of one deal where the selling Club has not received the full transfer fee?

I suspect you are the naive one here- yes clubs have not received the full transfer fee when a club has got into trouble after a purchase, but Wilson was purchased after the rumours were out there. Stevenage would have needed to to have been persuaded that Charlton could fund the remainder of the fee.

• Options

Seems like good housekeeping to me - rather than stockpile players you don't want and end up with a bloated squad, its one in, one out. Exactly like Charlton in the 90's. Sensible. Last season was different because drastic 'surgery' was required.

exactly what i've posted on another thread. Dont buy into the "we're skint" malarky. The board knew they'd have to stump up for at least a year in league one and did. That covered the losses then and the jenkinson transfer gave us a decent kitty. I've always felt like this is precisely the plan the board had in the first place (cash leaving was not part of the plan but was not absolutely crucial). Spend this year consolodating and maybe having to balance the books and maybe push for promotion next season. Didn't some one ask Slater last season when it was all "rosey" where we'd be in 5 years? And he said something like just got in to the premiership after yo yoing a couple of seasons?

Without wanting to sound patronising to anyone, i seriously doubt anyone has any sources for anyone on the current board. Just people "connected" or working within the club. This means we only have a very limited understanding of what's going on at board level. I've worked at places and played in teams and I know that you can overhear the wrong thing and jump to conclusions and the whole pack of cards comes tumbling down. Chinese whispers and all that. I know many people have said their sources have no reasons to lie, but maybe those sources are less connected than before and when one person gets the wrong end of the stick everyone starts to panic.

The board have done nothing wrong in my view at all so far, I'll back them like I'll back the team. Just my 2 cents. Don't want to offend or anger anyone but i felt like i had to get that off my chest.

Back to the transfer thread, stephens would go for the right price, but i really think solly should and will stay.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Randy Lerner just sold 70% of Cleveland browns for over gbp 600m. So they are not short of money. He had been trying to get the wage bill down so Stephens wouldn't break the bank on wages

Lerner's family own a large large chunk of MBNA credit card company .. he is l o a d e d
  • Options
    £27m debt you sure?.