Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

dale stephens villa bid

Comments

• Options
    Assume there will be sell on fees due to Oldham? anyone know how much/ what %?
  • Options
    Be very sorry if he left, easily our classiest midfielder, don't know why he gets some poor marks on the players ratings. Apart from Chris Solly is our biggest assest. Think some comments about him are negative because they have never played a decent standard of football themselves!
  • Options
    I really hope this is not true. I think Stephens has the potential to develop in to a class player.
  • Options
    Not bothered. Not strong enough, but would need replacing as the squad without him would be weak.
  • Options
    The key is that if he goes, we need to re-invest in the squad to ensure we have the strength to stay up. We are already short in CM and needed one in anyway - so Stephens leaving means 2 CMs needed by transfer deadline OR 1 CM and Quinn (moving Jacko to CM).

Solly / Stephens out and nobody in means that we have effectively given up on this season.
  • Options

Solly / Stephens out and nobody in means that we have effectively given up on this season.

It hasnt happened yet, so lets not get too suicidal :)
  • Options
    Would like him to stay - but if he goes we really MUST sign a decent attacking CM. Wordsworth or Quinn could both do that.
  • Options

Think some comments about him are negative because they have never played a decent standard of football themselves!

I do hope you are on a wind up.
  • Options
    Would like him to stay as I do think he is decent on the ball. Then again, he is replaceable at this level.

Replacing someone like Chris Solly or Yann Kermorgant is a much harder task than replacing Dale Stephens.

Good luck to him if he does go.
  • Options
    Of course he is on a wind up

Bollox talk
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Be very sorry if he left, easily our classiest midfielder, don't know why he gets some poor marks on the players ratings. Apart from Chris Solly is our biggest assest. Think some comments about him are negative because they have never played a decent standard of football themselves!

any chance we can see your FA cup medals ?
  • Options
    He's probably the best 'footballer' in the team. But then how much football do we actually play going forward? Not much if we're honest. It's mostly long balls to Yann or out wide for crosses.
    Would like to see him stay and progress but If the money's decent then I thin he can be replaced.
  • Options

Think some comments about him are negative because they have never played a decent standard of football themselves!

So what level have you played to?
  • Options
    Don't particularly rate Stephens and I'd rather he go than Solly. Or any other first teamer tbh.

There again I didn't play in a World Cup so what do I know.
  • Options
    Mike said:

We can cover his loss by bringing in Pritchard to the centre and playing Wilson wide right but if we get an injury - not good!

Wilson is nowhere near as good as Stephens. If we start Wilson centre mid we are screwed
    I didn't say play WIlson centre mid - as you would have see had you read my text.

• Options
    Stephens is a first teamer and those are the players you don't want to lose. Say Hollands or Pritchard gets injured- the centre midfield area is looking really exposed - where as now Pritchard can move in to cover. Would be a massive loss to us- can't understand why people don't seem to look beyond the starting eleven. If we lost Stephens, we would need to replace him with a central midfielder and £1m doesn't look so much then!
  • Options
    When it comes down to it our squad is so thin on the ground that CP isnt playing any subs, losing a key first team player so close to the end of the transfer window, is very depressing.
  • Options
    Be very disapointed if he goes. Never gets the credit he deserves. We will be woefully short in midfield if he goes without us signing anybody. Pritchard can do a job and is the sort of player fans like but he hasn't got the class of Stephens.
  • Options
    Looking at the Blades Mad forum, they are raving about Quinn more than ever. Apparently he has been switched to more of a central role this season and has been superb, adding some bite to their central midfield. Can imagine him a Jacko switching around during games which could work nicely.

Sheffield Star staing this morning that we (dont mention anyone else) are monitoring Quinns situtation.

IF we signed Quinn, lost Stephens, signed another loan CM, sold Solly, bought in Young on loan and signed Button.

I would take that. By my reckoning we would be up financially as well.
  • Options
    what do shef utd want for quinn?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd guess there wouldn't be much change left if any from what we get for Stephens. I think that if Pritchard and Hollands stay fit - Pritchard will step up to the plate - no problem with that- and could even prove to be better than Stephens - but it is a big if and yes- we will be exposed.
  • Options
    Out of all the players in our squad, Stephens is one of the lads who has the most potential imo.
  • Options

How sad is that last comment!
  • Options
    Think he'd do really well in the prem. Gets stick very quickly if he makes a mistake at The Valley unlike others. Agreed he needs time on the ball sometimes, but he has such intelligence and vision when picking his pass it's a joy to watch. Haven't had anyone take corners as good as him for years, either.
  • Options
    Back to Dale, IMHO having never been a pro footballer at any level, if we are offered the reported 1 mil, I think the board would be made not to take it, also from Dales point of view how can we deny him the chance of Prem football. Its a weird one this, i'm happy if he goes happy if he stays.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

How sad is that last comment!
    it's the naughty step for both of you I'm afraid ...
  • Options
    I think his delivery from corners may be a big factor in Villa's interest - many of our own fans may not have noticed that we look dangerous from every corner but I'm sure other clubs have.
  • Options
    I know it's not the closest but Jarvis going to West Ham for £10.75m - is Stephens then really worth £1m max?
  • Options

I think his delivery from corners may be a big factor in Villa's interest - many of our own fans may not have noticed that we look dangerous from every corner but I'm sure other clubs have.

True but they would still need to think he was a player with premier league quality
  • Options

I know it's not the closest but Jarvis going to West Ham for £10.75m - is Stephens then really worth £1m max?

Jarvis has played three seasons in the premiership so is proven at that level.

Stephens isn't.