Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

dale stephens villa bid

Comments

• Options

I know it's not the closest but Jarvis going to West Ham for £10.75m - is Stephens then really worth £1m max?

Jarvis has played three seasons in the premiership so is proven at that level.

Stephens isn't.
    Stephens isn't even proven in the Championship
    .. though I'm sure if he stayed he'd soon change that
  • Options
    If we replace Stephens with someone better, then it's good business if we don't then it's not.

£1M is very good business IMO.

If we had to sell one of our 1st choice 11, Stephens is the man I would reluctantly sell.

The case to keep him seems mainly to be based around that he could be good in The Championship & he could be good in The Premiership. He was good Saturday until it started raining.

Personally, if we can replace him with someone that is good now, consistently, that can play in the rain & doesn't rank as the next to worst of players that make 25 appearances or more (only Green was worse on CL stats), then I'm happy.
  • Options
    Stephens' style may be more suited to the Prem, but his level of talent isn't. I like him, but I really doubt his passing ability will stand out at all at a higher level.
  • Options
    How much would you pay for a bottle of water? £1 £2

What if you are dying, literally, of thirst? £100? £1000?

So how desperate are Villa to get Stephens or West Ham to get Solly? Neither have started well and getting relegated would be a huge hit so they might pay over the odds.

But on the other side how keen are we to sell? How much do we need to sell Solly and Stephens and if one goes then do we need to sell the other?

Fees will be whatever we can screw out of them or they can screw out of us. There is no RRP.

Will just have to wait and see who blinks first.
  • Options
    I'm worried that our team may be broken up at the 11th hour. One of the reasons we've had such a good start to the season is that the team has been almost unchanged from last season. It's all very well saying it's ok as long as we get a replacement in, but that replacement has got to fit into a team that is used to playing together.
  • Options
    Saga - I agree 100% with you on this - very dangerous.
  • Options
    Twitter (WHU updates) reporting that bid for Solly has been rejected.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

I'm worried that our team may be broken up at the 11th hour. One of the reasons we've had such a good start to the season is that the team has been almost unchanged from last season. It's all very well saying it's ok as long as we get a replacement in, but that replacement has got to fit into a team that is used to playing together.

Sadly this isn't the first time that this has happened - Parker, Reid etc
    .. and it most definitely won't be the last.
  • Options
    One of my favourite current players in the team. Cultured and good dead ball delivery. Can rifle it in from 30 yards too, if anyone cares to remember. A lot of you seem happy to let him go as he's not all action but I think he's going to be very difficult to replace if he does go. Pritchard is improving but not a ready replacement. A different kind of midfielder. The price being touted doesn't seem nearly enough for someone who I think will really shine in this league. If he does go I hope it's a good deal for us. Can't blame the lad leaving for PL football but he may well end up back in this league next season.
  • Options
    For Stephens, it would be a no-brainer really. Premier club, more money, closer to his family etc. Only downside is that you wonder how much football he would play at Villa? Could be doing a Robbie Elliott!

From the clubs viewpoint, if there is good money on offer then I think they would happily take it. Whether they will reinvest or not will be key to ascertaining the owners intentions.

From the fans viewpoint, at least this fan, I've never felt that Stephens/Hollands is the answer to our centre midfield. Feels too much like Lampard/Gerrard for England as they both want to get forward and neither is especially happy playing a holding role. Let's not forget that Stephens was out for a large chunk of last season and remind me how we did? Arguably, we played our best football without Stephens in the side!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe the team needs freshening up
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Didn't powell say that gus poyet said to him that a mistake he had made was to rely on the players that got them promoted from league 1.
  • Options
    Difficult to replace ? Maybe but not necessarily.
    I recall a free transfer 30+ year old doing better last years, when Stephens was out.
    Andy Hughes was the name.
  • Options
    Lampard/Gerrard is a good comparison
  • Options
    I think its a problem most succesful mangers face and an issue that most are reluctant to address

Sometimes moving the right player at the right time makes things better i include solly in that
  • Options

Didn't powell say that gus poyet said to him that a mistake he had made was to rely on the players that got them promoted from league 1.
    Fine but the time to adopt the new policy/freshen up the team is May- June. Not August 28. As we saw last year to excellent effect

• Options

I think its a problem most succesful mangers face and an issue that most are reluctant to address

Sometimes moving the right player at the right time makes things better i include solly in that

Yep I'd go along with that
    And like it or not we are a selling club - thats not a bad thing as the only clubs that aren't appear to be Chelsea, City and United !!!
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

I thought he was on of the better players on Saturday, that aside, if it is a toss up beetween him or Solly then I guess Stephens.
    I would have concerns if either went, as I feel outside the first 12 players or so, there is a lot of uncertainty.
    Quite why you would want to break up a decent team, for a quick injection of cash ( if it is all up front) remains a baffling issue.
    This could all be agent talk, and hot air, which I hope so. As saga so rightly points out 'blending' in is not always a straight forward as it may seem.

• Options
    Every player has a price- and if a club are willing to meet that price- well you can't complain. That price should be such that it gives us a fighting chance of adequately replacing the departing player and possibly strengthening in other areas. Whilst Solly is a great player who I'm sure will get better and better - if we got very good money and brought say Young in - I think we could cover the loss.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Every player has a price- and if a club are willing to meet that price- well you can't complain. That price should be such that it gives us a fighting chance of adequately replacing the departing player and possibly strengthening in other areas. Whilst Solly is a great player who I'm sure will get better and better - if we got very good money and brought say Young in - I think we could cover the loss.

Agree with this.
  • Options

What Poyet says is very true .. BUT.. There is/was no money to buy new players so Powell is stuck with what he had at season's end plus a couple of cheapo imports to supplement the squad
  • Options
    If Solly, Morrison, Stephens or whoever need to be sold to bale us out of a crisis, mini or maxi, then so be it
  • Options
    It's easier to replace a right back than a creative midfielder, however if we want to move forward, rather than backwards, we need to keep our best players unless we are offered silly money. Both have great potential and will only get better.
  • Options

If Solly, Morrison, Stephens or whoever need to be sold to bale us out of a crisis, mini or maxi, then so be it

yup
  • Options

It's easier to replace a right back than a creative midfielder, however if we want to move forward, rather than backwards, we need to keep our best players unless we are offered silly money. Both have great potential and will only get better.

Agree, be keeping hold of Stephens AND adding possiby Quinn, we will be much stronger. Then we have Stephens, Hollands, Pritchard & Quinn who mainly play CM which I think is good enough, we have just been promoted, we should be wanting to take steps forward, and again, unless offered silly money for Stephens, keep hold of him
  • Options

Spot on, but is the price we want for players determined by their quality or the financial trouble we may or may not be in ?
  • Options

How much would you pay for a bottle of water? £1 £2

What if you are dying, literally, of thirst? £100? £1000?

So how desperate are Villa to get Stephens or West Ham to get Solly? Neither have started well and getting relegated would be a huge hit so they might pay over the odds.

But on the other side how keen are we to sell? How much do we need to sell Solly and Stephens and if one goes then do we need to sell the other?

Fees will be whatever we can screw out of them or they can screw out of us. There is no RRP.

Will just have to wait and see who blinks first.

Couldn't have put it better myself. A prime example of this is Andy Carroll going to Liverpool for 35m. Way over the odds, Newcastle didn't need to sell, Liverpool were desperate to sign him, hence paying way over the odds.......................
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Wouldn't be suprised to see Fabian Delph come in on loan as part of the deal if true! not in the know or anything, just a guess
  • Options
    There's a good story that TJ tells himself about the Michael Morrison deal but maybe not for here : - )