Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

dale stephens villa bid

Comments

• Options
    off topic BUT the best v f m ever was the big fee paid for Super Clive Mendonca by Lord Llewellyn. Without Clive we'd have never got to the Prem .. you gotta speculate to accumulate ... IF you can raise the cash.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    joeaddick said:

Oggy Red said:

However we still need to balance books, so players will have to leave every so often. Charlton Athletic in the mid 90s anyone?

And the 60s.

And the 70s.

And the 80s.

;o)
    Someone knows his history :)
    Ha ha, Joe.

Guess I've been going to The Valley for a long time now.
    Seen it all before lol

;o)

• Options
    pure fluke. AC had no idea what he was doing for 15 years. FACT.
  • Options
    Amazes me the full range of how we rate Stevens on here. From a "top quality player in the making" to a "complete liabilty".
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Amazes me the full range of how we rate Stevens on here. From a "top quality player in the making" to a "complete liabilty".

always the same ..one man's meat is another man's bag o' soup bones
  • Options

Stephens is a "top quality liability in the making".

I thought everybody knew that ....?

;o)

• Options
    For 1.4m I think it's a no brainer
  • Options
    I'm on the side of the fence that sees Stephens as a very good player, with the potential to be a whole lot better. He & Hollands work well together and he has shown plenty of times the intelligence he has to play the right ball, adding a good haul of goals for us as well. There are lapses, but that should be expected of a player working his way through the leagues. There's more than enough there for us to be wishing he stays and goes on to fulfil his potential with us.
  • Options

And as always the truth is somewhere in between. His CL average rating shows he was inconsistent.

Add to that some see him as a deep lying playmaker, others an attacking midfielder that should be scoring goals.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

I'm on the side of the fence that sees Stephens as a very good player, with the potential to be a whole lot better. He & Hollands work well together and he has shown plenty of times the intelligence he has to play the right ball, adding a good haul of goals for us as well. There are lapses, but that should be expected of a player working his way through the leagues. There's more than enough there for us to be wishing he stays and goes on to fulfil his potential with us.

This, and difficult to replace. You need someone that can see the pass and make it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stephens is the sort of player who'll only get better and better. Get the right midfielder alongside him and he'll fly.
  • Options
    Really like Stephens - can't remember us ever threatening from corners like we do now on his side, quality player.
  • Options
    Hope he stays, as I think he has the potential to become a very decent player.

That said, at times I'm not sure he has imposed himself on games last season as much as could have been hoped - maybe he could in the Championship, maybe not.

At the right price, it could be a deal that suits him and the club.
    But if was going to happen, it would certainly have been better if it had been a couple of months ago.
  • Options
    Definately a very good player who's going to get better, those who say he can't tackle etc obviously didn't see the leicester game when he & Hollands bossed the MF first half, yes maybe he faded in the 2nd but then so did the rest of the team.Yes he might make the occasional misplaced pass but he has the vision to see that pass when so many others wouldn't. I can't believe we're bringing in players like Wilson & (possibly) letting quality players like Stephens go.
    Very disapointed if this turns out to be a goer.
  • Options
    Am I the only one to think his corners improved this season?! Can't recall much threat from them last season
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Am I the only one to think his corners improved this season?! Can't recall much threat from them last season

No you're not. Back to his best.

Prem clubs know a good player when they see one. You really have to watch him exclusively throughout a match to see just how good he is, and will only get better. I would be really sad to see him leave and would expect at least 1mil if not 2.

• Options

Definately a very good player who's going to get better, those who say he can't tackle etc obviously didn't see the leicester game when he & Hollands bossed the MF first half, yes maybe he faded in the 2nd but then so did the rest of the team.Yes he might make the occasional misplaced pass but he has the vision to see that pass when so many others wouldn't. I can't believe we're bringing in players like Wilson & (possibly) letting quality players like Stephens go.

As I believe will SCP, charltonbob.
  • Options
    If we get the alleged amount for him and solly ( never thought I'd say that ) then I think it's good business

Just depends where it goes if and when the money arrives
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Doesn't Danny amazing delivery Green take them when he is playing? Probably explains why they have improved.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Doesn't Danny amazing delivery Green take them when he is playing? Probably explains why they have improved.
    Green only gets 30% over the first man, 30% over everyone for a goal kick, and the only the odd one dangerous. To sum up, should not be allowed to take corners.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2012

Be disappointed or a goer Fanny ?
  • Options
    good player, but replaceable and if it's a choice between selling stephens or selling solly then it's a no-brainer.
    as long as we get a good fee as I believe oldham will get some of it.
  • Options

I DID mean he'd be disappointed, charltonbob

But who knows where that disappointment might lead....

...heaven forbid !
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

Prem clubs know a good player when they see one.

Maybe...but then again...Djime Traore? Marcus Bent? Villa have the haunted look of a club that doesn't know what it's doing. I don't especially want to sell Stephens, but selling to teams who are in their position is often a good way to extract maximum value...
  • Options

...heaven forbid !

Exactly Fanny, as somebody already posted, CP was tasked with the job of putting together a team to compete in the Championship, he did this & with 3 or 4 quality signings we could have easily been pushing for the play offs. However if the board start selling players from under his feet he may feel the goal posts have shifted & could consider where that leaves him ?
  • Options
    I've got a feeling this one isn't going to happen. It's all gone quiet
  • Options
    edited August 2012

...heaven forbid !

If SCP feels he needs to walk every time the goal posts are moved for him by his board he is going to be looking at a new job on a very regular basis. Yes I bet he will feel disappointed but 18 months into his career I doubt he feels confident or secure enough to start throwing his weight around. In any case Chris has been backed amazingly by the board in signing players. How many has SCP signed since getting the job. Must be close to a record for a manager. The reality of football means most managers have the team they construct disrupted by sales but they have to get on with it. The club must always do what is best for the club and that isn't always the same as what's best for the team. Unless SCP feels he is actually being lied to then I suspect he will take the occasional sale on the chin and get on with it.

• Options

I've got a feeling this one isn't going to happen. It's all gone quiet

Calm before the storm
  • Options
    I think Oldhams sell on fee will be minus whatever we payed for him. Eg if Villa pay 1.4m, we will have to subject the supposed 400k we paid Oldham, then say the sell on fee is 20%, hypothetically that would be 200k. Of course it's very unlikey that we paid 400k upfront for him. Lots of what ifs and maybes.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

I think Oldhams sell on fee will be minus whatever we payed for him. Eg if Villa pay 1.4m, we will have to subject the supposed 400k we paid Oldham, then say the sell on fee is 20%, hypothetically that would be 200k. Of course it's very unlikey that we paid 400k upfront for him. Lots of what ifs and maybes.

Majority of sell on fees are a percentage of any profit.